Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HELP! Icant get my scope sighted in.

spltbrow

I am haveing major problems getting my Nikon omega scope sighted in at 100yds.
250 grain bullets, 150grain powder, 209 primers, caldwell leadsled
I had it sighted in earlier this year????
I shot last night at 150yds. First shot was within 4" of center. I was happy i had already sighted it in and was just going to fine tune and shoot some longer distances. Then it all went down hill after that.
20 shots last night 30shots tonight and i still am not on at 100yds.

I have shot as close as 15yds and can put them on top of eachother. I did that mainly to make sure the scope wasent moveing or damaged.

then moved to 50yds and got good but then went to 100yd and i cant get it.
It is real eratic i will be on papper and then off.
At the end of tonight i finnaly put 3 on top of each other but was adjusting the scope in between.:(

I evan had a buddy shoot it and both our bullets were touching. Then we adjusted and then shots way off.:mad: And no we havent been drinking:drink1:, but i am tonight!

I have kept every thing consistant and clean barrel and breach about every 3rd shot.

What am i doing wrong? I am completely fustrated and not sure what to do accept by more bullets because i am out.

HELP, HELP, HELP

I'm not familiar with the bullets your using, but some brands simply won't group out of some guns. If you've always used them and no that's not the problem, I would be getting a new scope first and foremost. Even if it was on earlier the internal of a scope can go out at random. Although its uncommon it does happen. Been there and done that.

Try swabbing the barrel between every shot. Shouldn't make that much difference if your getting them seated everytime but I like to eliminate all variables. Also make sure your ramrod is not damaging the bullet when your loading it. I know sounds dumb but I've seen it. Beyond that I'm with antlerfreak and I'd have to try a new scope.

My dad has this problem and it started in the army when he couldn't zero his rifle. It's called trigger finger. He hunts with a 25-06 in south Dakota and it is zeroed at a hundred yards but there are times like this year when he couldn't hit a doe standing still at a hundred yards but ten minutes later hit a running cyoate at a hundred and dropped him in his tracks. He than shot his buck at two hundred yards and dropped him in his tracks . But he has to slow himself down and remember to squeeze the trigger and not jerk it. On paper you can really tell when he is punching the trigger. Maybe you are maybe you aren't and the more frustrated you get the worse it will be. Just a suggestion!

Muzzleloaders can be pretty finicky sometimes. A lot has to do with the consistency of the bullet & sabot as well as your powder charge. I've encountered this same issue trying to shoot shockwaves out of my optima and they were all over the place. Went to a lighter bullet, 180 grain QT precision, and it got much better. I reduced the powder charge and that REALLY tightened up the group. What kind of bullets are you using?

First thing I would do, is at least swab your barrel between each shot and make damn sure all of your screws are tight on your scope. If you're using a lead sled, it would take an awful lot of flinching to pull you off paper and scatter you all over the place.

Second thing I would do, try reducing the powder charge. More powder is not always better.

If that doesn't tighten up your groups, it sounds like a bullet issue to me. But, you could try all of this stuff and then come to find out that the scope is junk.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this is, totally feel your pain.

try some different sabots, i couldnt hold a good group at 100 with the shockwaves, but switched to Noslers and now I'm shooting 2" groups at 250

I know that sometimes getting a new breachplug helps as well I personally like Barnes 250 grain ballistic tips myself they are very accurate expensive though

I agree with dropping the powder to 100 gr...my Encore hate 150 gr powder loads, but is ridiculously accurate out to 230 yards with 100 gr pushing 245 gr power belts

theres a 150 grain & bullet combo that will fly perfect. dropping to 100 grains could help but u lose so much power, trajectory, etc and no reason u cant get 150 to fly great. I say try another bullet BUT more importantly for me: I quit shooting for day if my shooting goes down hill- even best shooters start to flinch and get burnt out and frustrated. start fresh tomorrow
*make/model of gun and make/model of bullet?
**my tc triumph uses 150 grain, 250 grain tc bullet (yellow w sabot) and shoots super accurate, flat and destroys deer

Last edited:
Once I settled on a load combo years ago following a good amount of test shots I just haven't varied from it over the years, so my current load testing experience is WAY out of date. But I too dialed the powder charge down and gained consistency. I found from experimentation that a 90 grain charge worked just fine for me and I shave been shooting that ever since with good results.

Join the club. I have shot many loads, powders, grains etc and finally found a good load that shoots good out of my TC. I find that in order to keep it consistant, clean the bore and breech plug every shot to keep every shot the same. Once you shoot once, the bore and plug are dirty and will alter the shots in some guns. My gun now will shoot good shot after shot, but it does shoot about 2 inches higher at 100 clean and died nutz after that. Must be the friction imo.

I shoot a TC omega with 250 gr shockwave superglides and 140 gr Blackhorn 209 powder with CCI magnum primers. Great out of my gun but my friend can't shoot that load out of his at all. They are different animals sometimes. These are just my findings of shooting these smoke poles.

Join the club. I have shot many loads, powders, grains etc and finally found a good load that shoots good out of my TC. I find that in order to keep it consistant, clean the bore and breech plug every shot to keep every shot the same. Once you shoot once, the bore and plug are dirty and will alter the shots in some guns. My gun now will shoot good shot after shot, but it does shoot about 2 inches higher at 100 clean and died nutz after that. Must be the friction imo.

I shoot a TC omega with 250 gr shockwave superglides and 140 gr Blackhorn 209 powder with CCI magnum primers. Great out of my gun but my friend can't shoot that load out of his at all. They are different animals sometimes. These are just my findings of shooting these smoke poles.

I'm sure you know this, but the max ecommended bh209 charge is 120 grains. Its a lot more powerfull than pyrodex or 777. Just wanna make sure you are aware. That's gotta have a heck of a kick though!

HOLY SMOKES MAN!!! You are going to blow that gun up!! 120grain is the max for blackhorn!! I bet she shoots flat though. ;)

To the OP, make sure you put loc tite on your scope mount and bases. I have had too many of them work loose and start doing exactly what you are describing.

[*make/model of gun and make/model of bullet?
**my tc triumph uses 150 grain, 250 grain tc bullet (yellow w sabot) and shoots super accurate, flat and destroys deer[/QUOTE]

I am shooting the exact same thing.

tc triumph with 150grain pyrodex, 250 grain tc shockwave (yellow with sabbot) and the nicon omega bdc

I would really like to stay with the 150 grains so my hold overs dont change.

I geuss i am going to try again tomarrow. I am going to start cleaning after every shot instead of every couple. The sabots do get very hard to seat properly and my hand is hurting from doing it.

Im with the drop the powder charge group... I had the exact same problem trying to shoot 150 Gr. but dropped it to 100 and have had much better luck. Also make sure your powder and primers are not old... I have always been told that stuff actually expires. I will use a bottle of powder for 2 seasons max and buy new the third year. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

Top Bottom