Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help needed

Trapshooter1

Tonight I shot a really nice 10 point.
I hit the shoulder. Had good blood for 100 plus yards.(really deep red blood) then lost the blood. He ran initially. Then stopped and walked. Really slowed down. (Was leaning really hard last time I seen him. Walked into a really thick willow thicket. Can't find him.

Anyone have experience like this??
Your opinions would be really appreciated.

How high in the shoulder? What angle, both forward and backward and up and down? How much penetration? Hopefully you didn't go too far into the thick willows, that would likely have been his spot to lay down and die. Let us know the answers to those questions and we can possibly help you a bit more. Hopefully you find him!

About the best I can say is try to round up some buddies and tear that thicket apart in the morning when you have good light. If it's a fatal hit then hopefully he won't be too far. Just remember to bring your bow for a follow up shot. Just in case. Good luck to you, and hopefully your story ends with a harvest photo

How much penetration? And could you have been in front of the shoulder? Were you trailing him at night or during the day? Give him some time and go back before the rain hits. Follow blood until you run out and then I'd grid search. Any bubbles? Sounds like it could be brisket, but if he was leaning or swaying it could be lethal.

I shoot a Bear agenda 6. At 70 pounds. So I don't think penetration is the problem. He walked quite aways. 200 plus yards. But just kept getting slower and slower.

If only 6 inches of arrow is sticking out he should be dead I would think. Round up the crew and find him in the morning.

I would bet he's dead based on the info given. If he's not in the thicket, hopefully you can find some more blood to see where he went. Good luck!

My buddy hit a buck just like this last year.About the same amount of penetration. We had awesome blood for around 300 yards. We backed out until morning without crossing the creek so we wouldn't bump him. When we went back in the morning there was still good blood for 30 more yards. We found his bed but couldn't find a drop of blood after that. We decided to grid search the entire property and the two next to it never found the deer or more blood. We still don't know how the deer lived with as much blood as he lost.

If you buried an arrow that far he must have been quartering one way or the other. If he was quartering away it's likely one lung and they can do a terribly long way and live on that hit. If it was quartering to you, it pierced the diaphragm and he will be dead because of lost chest compression into the guts.

If you buried an arrow that far he must have been quartering one way or the other. If he was quartering away it's likely one lung and they can do a terribly long way and live on that hit. If it was quartering to you, it pierced the diaphragm and he will be dead because of lost chest compression into the guts.

Gotta agree with this, you must not have hit offside shoulder. Good luck!

I'm thinking since the arrow is still inside the deer quite aways. That hopefully the broadhead can hopefully cut an artery.(Shooting 100 grain thunderheads)

Thanks for all of the advice. I hope everyone on here is right. And I find a him in that willow thicket. (Side note the willow thicket is right by a creek) so I'll have to check that too.

Thanks again

If I was a betting man I would say he is laying in the bottom of the creek at the hardest possible place to get drag him out :)

Went and looked this morning. Found blood a half a mile from where I shot the deer.

I think the deer survived to be honest. Wasn't in the willow thicket. Wasn't in the creek.

Went and looked this morning. Found blood a half a mile from where I shot the deer. I think the deer survived to be honest. Wasn't in the willow thicket. Wasn't in the creek.

Perfectly broadside, square in the shoulder, and only 6 inches of arrow sticking out? He should have tipped over before he made it 100 yards. Must have mistaken where you thought you hit him. Probably brisket. Did you find the arrow?

Top Bottom