Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homebrew build 101

[ QUOTE ]
Tyler,
What camera are you going to be using?
I don't know whether to try a p41 or a cheaper model. What really scares me is destroying a p41 right out of the chute.

[/ QUOTE ]

P41

I went through alot of the instruction stuff you had a link to and the soldering involved looks fairly easy.....I think.

At what point do most guys blow up their cameras?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tyler,
What camera are you going to be using?
I don't know whether to try a p41 or a cheaper model. What really scares me is destroying a p41 right out of the chute.

[/ QUOTE ]

P41

I went through alot of the instruction stuff you had a link to and the soldering involved looks fairly easy.....I think.

At what point do most guys blow up their cameras?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening up and putting back the camera. Tearing ribbon cables, bad pointy solder joints that destroy the cam. Then there are the unexplaned dead cams where I believe the wrong part was touched at the wrong time.

Well since you put it that way maybe I will bring it to the Deer Classic and you can use it for a tutorial
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Have you decided on your case orientation? Horizontal or vertical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry didn't see this ?. I was gone bird hunting this weekend down by Mt. Ayr. No deer just quail and pheasant.

I have a precut one from trails end. It is vertical w/ the camera in the bottom.

I got the holes cut on the wrong side though. I wanted it so I could just open the case and see the back of the camera to check pics, but it's the opposite of that.

Hope that answers your question.

Well the postman just dropped off my Trails End cases
cool.gif

George had a delay from his supplier so it took a little longer then expected but he made it right with me and I would give Trails End an A+ if your thinking of ordering a pre-cut.

I ordered 2 cases with the holes in front, camera in bottom of case...so it looks like this:

TrailsEndpre-cut.jpg

Here's the notch to allow the camera to fit:

Millcut.jpg

TP's case that he did himself looks pretty much the same only with the camera on top.

You know...you would think a guy who programs and machines close tolerance, precision aircraft castings for a living could manage to poke some holes in a plastic case...
smirk.gif

Next time
waytogo.gif

On another note...I sent a "box" full of P-41's to vman today several of which he has to fix before hacking
crazy.gif

Make sure the LCD works before you buy...
blush.gif
blush.gif

I remember someone talking about an IR home brew. I've got a P41 waiting. I'm just curious, what has to be done differently for an IR build other than the IR filter for the flash?

Dmacbow...the tiny glass filter between the CCD and the lens needs swapped out with plain glass to allow it to record in IR

Shredder, thanks for the info. Can this be done on the P32 as well as the P41? I'm already thinking ahead to my next project.

This is the last camera I've put together. I realy like the tube through and the hinge/bunge camera shelf. This is aq P41 with the BG2 controller. The BG2 cover came from Trailsend.
547camera_003resized.jpg

547camera_001resized.jpg

547camera_002resized.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
realy like the tube through and the hinge/bunge camera shelf. This is a P41 with the BG2 controller. The BG2 cover came from Trailsend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that just a PVC pipe?

The P-41 is held in with "cheap" hinges bent to hold the bungee?

Do we need a BG2 cover? I assume it's handy to keep from damaging the BG2 board when you have the case open?

Thanks for sharing the pics cause I haven't started assembly
confused.gif
grin.gif

Yep just PVC pipe. It fits perfectly where you drill out the pressure release valve on the case and the larger Phyton cable fits inside of it just right.

Half of a 2" Tee Hinge for the shelf and bunge hook. On the upper side the bunge goes through the holes on half of a flat hinge, then I swaged a cable stop to the ends to keep them from sliding back through. At haggs they did this a bit different.

I like the covers to finish things up and for the extra protection.

Here are some of the items used and another homebrew with a different lay out. The cases are all pelican 1060s.
547camera_011resized.jpg
547camera_010resized.jpg
547camera_007resized.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Yep just PVC pipe. It fits perfectly where you drill out the pressure release valve on the case and the larger Phyton cable fits inside of it just right.

Half of a 2" Tee Hinge for the shelf and bunge hook. On the upper side the bunge goes through the holes on half of a flat hinge, then I swaged a cable stop to the ends to keep them from sliding back through. At haggs they did this a bit different.

I like the covers to finish things up and for the extra protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Great ideas!
cool.gif

The second case has a layout more like the ones I got from Trails End.

547camera_010resized.jpg

Is the camera in that view held in with anything?

Is the foam behind it just to keep it closer to the cover/lens?

The TE case will have the board on the case lid and camera in the case as I see it.

TrailsEndpre-cut.jpg

Lot's of possibles...just curious about the pros and cons of all the different setups.

The foam is a waxy/firm type and has a pocket cut to the shape of the camera for simple fast placement. It doesn't hold the camera, it positions it. Also it is cut just deep enough that it presses the camera firmly against the flash gasket when the lid it closed.

If you use U bolts and a python cable lock they work a little easier mounted on the lid IMO. If you do mount them on the side be sure and move the latch side u-bolt as far from the latch as possible. With the cable through the u-bolt you need to remove it completely or be able to swing it up and out of the way of the opening latch. If it is to close to the latch there is not enough clearance. This I know for sure.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The foam is a waxy/firm type and has a pocket cut to the shape of the camera for simple fast placement. It doesn't hold the camera, it positions it. Also it is cut just deep enough that it presses the camera firmly against the flash gasket when the lid it closed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there some place you can buy that type of foam is it just some "extra" you had laying around?

[ QUOTE ]

If you use U bolts and a python cable lock they work a little easier mounted on the lid IMO. If you do mount them on the side be sure and move the latch side u-bolt as far from the latch as possible. With the cable through the u-bolt you need to remove it completely or be able to swing it up and out of the way of the opening latch. If it is to close to the latch there is not enough clearance. This I know for sure.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good info! I see TE has 4 keyed alike Python cable locks is there someplace one can order more then just 4? (not that I would ever end up with more the 4 homebrews
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
)

The foam I like best Pete pulled out of a recieved shipping box at work. It is a type I've seen around plenty but couldn't tell you where to buy it. If I build anymore I'll stick with the hinge/bunge, tube thru, bottom of the case configuration.

Lowes on 50th in WDM gets the 8' pyhtons in by the tray and there are offen more than 5 keyed alike.

[ QUOTE ]
The foam I like best Pete pulled out of a recieved shipping box at work. It is a type I've seen around plenty but couldn't tell you where to buy it. If I build anymore I'll stick with the hinge/bunge, tube thru, bottom of the case configuration.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kinda what I figured on the foam...I'll give the hinge/bunge a try...

Pete works?? I though he just set up trail cams...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lowes on 50th in WDM gets the 8' pyhtons in by the tray and there are offen more than 5 keyed alike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check Lowes...now that you mention it I think I have seen them at the one near me
waytogo.gif

V-man, I noticed you're using foam in your demonstrator model. I see some of the other guys are discussing foam also. What kind of foam are you using? How are you securing the camera in place? Thanks in advance for the info.

Top Bottom