Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many bucks can you get in Iowa??

S

Scott1024

How many bucks can you get in IA---I watch shows like Gettin Close-with Lee and Tiffany and it seems like they have killed a few nice bucks each..??-I would love to come to IA and try to hunt some huge bucks-what is the process for a out-of-stater..

they don't let us shoot bucks anymore, they are under populated and the DNR is trying to increase the population with no bucks being taken for the next 4 years
grin.gif

ok-I get it-you don't want out-of-staters....that's alright I guess---we need to build our own white-tail paradise here in PA and OH.

The average person can shoot 2 bucks in a year, Either through out bow,shotgun,Handgun,muzzleloader. If you own land I am not sure what it is up to. Maybe someone else to clarify on that one.

Yes, you can also get an anysex landowner's tag if you qualify..... 3 bucks total.

Not sure about the special unit hunts?
confused.gif

Thank you---I was curious how the Kisky's and Lakowski's do it...

P.S.-that is pretty cool that the Don and Kandy Kisky are joining up with Stan Potts and his team for the 2006 shows.

Hate to tell you this but getting any assistance for non-resident hunting in Iowa from these guys is like trying to harvest a hay field with a kitchen fork! Hunted there, killed some deer there but you have to be patient committed and have a fat pocketbook.
Really can't blame these guys, Iowa IS
grin.gif
the big-buck mecca of the mid-west. Local residents are some of the nicest people I ever meet.
Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
Hate to tell you this but getting any assistance for non-resident hunting in Iowa from these guys is like trying to harvest a hay field with a kitchen fork! Local residents are some of the nicest people I ever meet.
Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]
Taking a jab and buttering up all in one post. Not bad
grin.gif

Nonresidents can only take one buck. You have to apply for a tag and you probably wont get one the first year you try, at least not a bow tag.

Just having a little humor! No offense intended. Have a great day and best of luck in the upcoming season.

Bill G - IMO I think that both residents and non-residents are treated very well on this site. Much good deer hunting advice and general information is available for all to read and share, resident or non. Where the juices get flowing though is when a NR begins to complain about this state, it's laws, regulations, people and so forth.

I also do not expect anyone on this site to get real specific with their hunting location(s), landowner names, etc, with residents OR non-residents as in many cases that can lead to unwanted competition, exclusion, etc. (I have had personal experience helping out a fellow hunter with access, techniques, etc, only to have that person(s) "double back" on me and lease/gain permission themselves/purchase the land that I essentially introduced them to or helped to familiarize them with. I am pretty sure I am not the only one that has had this experience either. So IMO one should not expect a lot of specific or potentially "self injurious" help from other hunters via a website, whether they are res or non. I hope you feel welcome and at home here, but I wouldn't expect to receive maps to great hunting locations either.
smirk.gif

Also, a resident landowner can get three buck tags per year. I believe the Kisky's are landowners and residents too so that may explain their situation.

bigbuck I was just messing with you, two bucks for an in stater without land, and out of staters well I think it is 1 buck, because chances are you are only going to get one tag at most.

The process to apply for out of state tags is fairly easy, I just helped my brother do this last year, all the info is on the Iowa DNR website, I believe you have to apply by May or something along those lines. The application process works on a point system, so if you don't get drawn for a tag one year, you get a preference point and are more likely to get drawn the next year.

Check out the IaDNR website for all the info. though.

Thanks for the info all-I was just wondering how many bucks-because of the TV Hunting shows from your wonderful state of Iowa. I have plenty of quality bucks here in NW PA and NE OH-I live right on the line and have permission to hunt approx. 1,000 acres in PA -beans-corn-hardwoods-planted bio-logic honey holes..etc. etc...and a couple hundered acres right across the line-so I think that will keep me busy this year and next---maybe in a couple of years I will give it a try. Thanks again for all the info---keep it coming.
smile.gif

Hey Daver....

I'm here if you still feel the need of setting me up on some land to hunt. he, he And I promise you....I won't do that double backing as you mentioned. To prove it...I'll give you all my bills, my checkbook and my paychecks. You'll see.
jester.gif

Xtec - if you have an Iowa tag, PM me. Maybe I will invite you to hunt with me a few days on my farm. Although I am fortunate enough to own a farm for the past few years, I didn't always have that luxury. So I feel pretty comfortable inviting people nowadays because they would have to double back to me.
smirk.gif

Daver,
Tks for your excellant response. My comments were not intended to stir any hard feelings, just felt the urge to respond. I have in the past read some abrasive threads concerning non-residents but quite honestly don't blame any Iowan deer hunter for trying to preserve some of the best whitetail hunting in the world.
My job requires me to be at my PC almost 1/2 the day and each morning I really look forward to reading what you guys are discussing and seeing pictures of your trophies and cam shots. I rarely respond to any subjects, this one just stirred a spark.
Raised in the country but now living in a very populated area, hunting in Iowa really makes me appreciate your rural way of living. As previously mentioned, the residents there are some of the nicest people I've ever meet. So.....I drew a tag this year and plan to return. Best of luck in the upcoming season and have a great day. Bg

Top Bottom