Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunters not using the reporting system..........

Lila's Dad

I have been asking alot of deer hunters lately if they call in their kills. Wow was I shocked! The number of people who are not reporting their kills is pretty high. I report my kills. I think it is a great idea to do so. It's going to help us get a good idea of what we have/don't have out there. I personally know of over 50 deer that were killed during shotgun season that were killed and tagged legally but never reported. I am hoping the DNR biologist that visits this site reads this and responds. For the rest of you guys and gals, what are your thoughts and observations?

I report mine and our shotgun group reports what we shoot. Not like it takes allot of time 2 mins on the phone.

My dad, brother, and I report ALL of the deer we shoot. I hope everyone will start doing it and like bowstring said it doesn't take any time at all.

Fact is, there's just some lazy types out there that don't really care about how the lack of verifiable data affects things. It's a PIA to them and they make a conscious decision not to comply.

Another category of non-reporters are those that have the best of intentions but just don't end up getting it done in the end, the procrastinators.

And finally, there's the crowd that struggles to follow instructions. I witnessed on multiple occasions this year guys putting the wrong portion of tag on the deer at harvest. That would be the one that says "Attach this portion only after reporting animal". When that happens, you're left with the main tag which doesn't have the reporting system phone # listed on it. Although it does have the confirmation # on it, it's labled as a "Reg #" which is confusing.

Bottom line, I think a lack of reporting is quite common for multiple reasons.

I'm relucatant to stereotype here, but there are large numbers of shotgun hunters (groups) in my area that thumb their noses at reporting.

They do their own butchering so unless a CO asks to inspect their freezers no one is the wiser. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It's unfortunate but I believe our DNR Biologists factor these things in and allow for certain "non-compliance" percentages... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I wonder how many generations of hunters it will take before this becomes routine? I have thought about volunteering to go to my local locker during shotgun season, only because that is when most deer are harvested and perhaps more education can be done, and checking to see if the deer has been called in. If not educate the hunter and call it in for them and tell them I just saved them from a big fine. Doesn’t solve the self butcher issue.

The ‘Bonker

They should print in BIG BLACK BOLD letters the amount of fine on the tag they will receive for not reporting the harvest... and make it a big fine.. at least maybe that will scare them into doing it

I heard from some of my buddies that study animal ecology up at ISU that over 90% of harvested deer are reported. They seemed pretty sure of their numbers, although I don't see how anyone could come up with a good estimate.

I spoke with a gentlemen from the DNR at the Classic last year and he said they expected that 90% of the deer were harvested. I told him that I had expected the numbers to be much lower than that. I would think it would be closer to 75%, but that may still be generous.

I noticed that you HAD to call in a deer to donate it to HUSH at Ruzicka's Locker in Solon this year (you had to write the number on the sheet when you signed it in).

I wonder if Ruzicka's looked for the registration number on those deer processed for private consumption?

I would guess the number of hunters who process their own deer is a low percentage. Most people I know take them to a locker.

Wish we had your worries. The IL DNR was stripped of their money from our fine Gov. Our local Game Warden retired and we have no replacement. Nobody cares about the call in. Keep fighting for your deer in Iowa.

As a programmer I care about good data, and as a ethical hunter I care about doing the right thing. I always call in every one of my deer. "Press or say one". I love the phone reporting system. I even wasted a tag on a deer last year down south that I shot and could never find.

I process my own deer. When I throw away the carcass, I keep a leg with the tag and nail it to the rafter in my garage. My low-tech record keeping system.

Just from conversations with other hunters at work and in the field I can't imagine more than 50% of the real deer kill is reported. I did not ask if any of these people actually reported their deer but irregardless most have bragged of taking twice as many as they are allowed so it really can't be close. I have never talked with any farmer that doesn't put them down with regularity.
On a different topic. Is it legal to use a AR 15 to coyote hunt? Assuming it is a smi auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck,eyehunter16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it legal to use a AR 15 to coyote hunt? Assuming it is a smi auto. </div></div>

Absolutely. Most commonly used yote weapon from where I come from.

"killed and tagged legally but never reported"

I don't think it is legally tagged unless it has been reported?

i am pretty sure the fine is 150.00 i know a local guy that killed a buck and called it in but did not attach the called in
portion to the deer hanging in the barn.he got fined

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windwalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess 70 % in my area have a tag the rest get tossed in a ditch. </div></div>

Just for clarification, 30% are home butchered and the bones tossed or 30% are just left to rot with never having a tag applied? Sad statistic either way.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windwalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess 70 % in my area l,;have a tag the rest get tossed in a ditch. </div></div>
Just for clarification, 30% are home butchered and the bones tossed or 30% are just left to rot with never having a tag applied? Sad statistic either way.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

Tossed in the ditch without a tag applied and forgotten about.

I think most of the guys in my area take the time to call them in. We took 31 over shotgun and every one was reported via the Internet each night. All our bow deer during the season were reported as well. I guess we don't see it as an option. Yes, it's a pain but if you are remotely organized it can be done.

Top Bottom