Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

I just got off the phone with a PF regional guy. PF and every group that belongs to the Iowa Conservation Alliance is coming out in support of this bill. He mentioned one point that he had heard. A southern Iowa outfitter went thru hundreds of pounds of corn from Dec.1 thru the end of late anrtlerless season to keep "his" deer on his land and safe from harm. Spin feeders were used, just like Texas. You might say "great, those rifle hunters don't need more targets." But isn't Texas style hunting one thing we don't want? As you pull your support from the IBA on this ONE issue, don't complain when they don't have the juice to stop other, much more damaging legislation. I don't always agree with the NRA, I don't think teflon coated bullets and 100 round mags are necessary, but I still support them for the greater good they do in standing up for the rights I support.

You guys puking all over this proposed bill still have no idea how good you have it. It boggles my mind. Here in Kansas baiting IS legal, you don't want ANYTHING to do with that. If I were you I'd care more about the future of more NR in your state than whether or not you can put out a mineral station or dump some corn in front of a camera. Within ten years you'll be in my shoes, the shoes of the average joe of Kansas, hunting ground that has very few deer, b/c I can't afford to hunt the good places.

Wow 18 pages later and I am wiped, Honestly I dont care one way or the other on this bill so I am going to remain neutral, I dont put corn or minerals out for trail cams, although i do use trail cams on my food plots to monitor what is using them. Mostly because I like to see my hard work being used. It is kinda of a success thing to me. On the enforcement issue it would clear a lot of the gray area by saying if the bait is there it is illegal. I can understand that. But as far as preventing disease I dont know on that so I will remain neutral. But as far as dropping out of an organization due to one issue you dont agree on seems foolish as it will reduce the support and power of the only organization that protects our hunting as we know it. Which in turn gives more power to other EVIL organizations such as FOI. Which we dont need. If you are against this bill contact the appropriate people and dont hang the IBA as regardless what decision they make they will upset people. Im going to guess for everyone person on her that uses bait or minerals in legal fashion there are 10 to 15 that dont, I mean hell they sell it at Wal mart for crying out loud and everyone thinks I am going to put this out and kill a giant because it says so on the box. I wish i had a dollar everytime i have heard that.

This is the very beganing of the legislative session and already we are turning on each other and the IBA over an issue that is pety in the big picture. Said to say but I see this as a victory for the FOI organization as the inner disputes of a strong organizaiton like the IBA are what destroy the strength of an organization. So in conclusion lets just not hang a few board members on their opinions and agree to disagree. Contact your represenitives and tell them your thoughts and worries. After all is said and done the IBA does not vote on any bills so hanging them out is not going to accomplish anything but self defeat against the EVIL forces among us. I love referring to the FOI as EVIL as they really are villains LOL.
Agree to disagree just dong hang the messenger as it is our only voice for Iowa sportsman.

I just got off the phone with a PF regional guy. PF and every group that belongs to the Iowa Conservation Alliance is coming out in support of this bill. He mentioned one point that he had heard. A southern Iowa outfitter went thru hundreds of pounds of corn from Dec.1 thru the end of late anrtlerless season to keep "his" deer on his land and safe from harm. Spin feeders were used, just like Texas. You might say "great, those rifle hunters don't need more targets." But isn't Texas style hunting one thing we don't want? As you pull your support from the IBA on this ONE issue, don't complain when they don't have the juice to stop other, much more damaging legislation. I don't always agree with the NRA, I don't think teflon coated bullets and 100 round mags are necessary, but I still support them for the greater good they do in standing up for the rights I support.

Guess what, next year he'll just leave 50 acres of standing crops. This bill won't solve your "problem" with what the outfitter is accomplishing.

All I had to do was read Paul’s post to know I didn’t want to go back through and read all 17 pages. Last time I looked in the mirror I didn’t have horns, cloven hooves, a tail or carry a pitchfork.

I think the only thing you were actually compared to was a sheep if I remember correctly.:):eek: But, at least you're not the only one, the other conservation groups are there in the pasture to.:)

You guys have my support Tom, I think it was the right thing to do, though not popular.

Looking back, I received the email regarding input on this issue from IBA President Tommy Thompson on 12-31-10.

Like Dbletree stated earlier, if you are an IBA member and did not receive the email, your address is simply not in the address book.

I get the impression that people here feel the IBA has the last say in this issue. Which, is hard for me to understand, because last I checked Tommy Thompson or anyone else on the board isn't the Governor of Iowa. I know as a group we have clout, but the real process is between individuals and their legislators. Keep that in mind.

I can't say to much more than Bonker and Dbletree regarding some of you dropping memberships. Maybe give it little while to think about, then decide. Let the emotions settle first.
I have a hard time reasoning that this is a big enough issue to yank support from the group that has protected what we have like NOBODY else.

Maybe see this as a reason to get yourself more involved.

Last edited:
Bonker, it is part of a DNR officers job to go to court. Even if this bill becomes a new law, a DNR officer can still find himself in court.....its part of HiS/HER job. Also, DNR Officers in Iowa don't have it rough, believe me, I worked for the DNR for quite a few summers. Maybe if some of them (not all of them) spent less time fishing with one another they would catch more law breakers.

Sureshot,
I agree with you totally. I can not believe it was even brought up that it will make their job easier.
Since when was a job easy?

Heck I would like someone to make mine easy to then.

A lot of you are correct though it will divide the masses.

Gonna be a tough Legislative year for the deer hunter IMHO.

Last edited:
If they had to start some where why not the bird feeders? Would be nice to see what reaction that would get. Sounds like it spreads just as much desease?

Please show me where the IBA asked for input by the members?

It didn't.

It asked the IBA what their stance was.

If they asked the members like they should of I am sure the
results would of been different.

Really?

Quote:
So what is the IBA's stance on this bill?
Till we get a significant number of members to respond, we don't have a stance.

If you are an IBA member send your thoughts and opinions to Prez Tommy Thompson at [email protected]

In regards to feeding almost every biologist I have ever talked to including those with Pheasants Forever and NWTF say feeding wildlife is a dangerous practice.

Avian Pox for instance spreads rapidly through both song and game birds where they are being fed from bird feeders causing 10 X more death then starvation.

I believe that the right thing is being done here but I also respect that each of you have every right to disagree and I urge you to contact the IDNR and legislators with your opinions and questions.

Have a great day friends...:way:

Paul,
If it is a dangerous practice why are we still going to still let them do it
50 yards from a building?

Get rid of it all IMO.

I am sure a lot of legislators are going to hear from their constituents on this.

Looking back, I received the email regarding input on this issue from IBA President Tommy Thompson on 12-31-10.

Like Dbletree stated earlier, if you are an IBA member and did not receive the email, your address is simply not in the address book.

River,

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I was looking for.
I appreciate it.

Singlecoyote,
My memory may be going but my eyesite isn't. :thrwrck:

Bottom line 2: The DNR Is trying to make their officers more available for other investigations by making it less time consuming to catch someone hunting over bait.
A CO is not going to sit and wait over any old feeding station without a lead. The CO is the hunter and the poacher is the hunted...the CO has the bait station as bait. The slob poacher is a creature of habit, probably there every Saturday after a few beers. The CO patterns him and busts him after a couple of sets. (way more fun than shooting a shed buck). This would be an absolute bust, how many other "investigations" turn up nothing? IMO Bottom line 2 stinks so bad it makes everything else not worthy.

River,

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I was looking for.
I appreciate it.

Singlecoyote,
My memory may be going but my eyesite isn't. :thrwrck:

Sorry, the large text was excessive. I'm done on this. I applaud the IBA for their decision to back this bill.

Sorry, the large text was excessive. I'm done on this. I applaud the IBA for their decision to back this bill.

o yeah for sure!!! theres no bigger issues to focus on. Clearly this is THE issue that will dictate the future of deer hunting in Iowa. Personally i believe this is a complete waste of everyones time. I think and believe supplemental feeding is a benefit to the wildlife. If you disagree don't do it, but don't tell me that I'm wrong and can't do it. Honestly if it wasn't for feeding programs our dwindling pheasant population would be in a much sadder state of affairs after these last few winters.

I can see both sides to the use of minerals, however, Im kind of with Critter on the whole 50 yd thing by houses.. Doesn't make sense... I have just as many deer in the summer walking past my front door at 30 yds as I have at my mineral site back in the timber

I just got off the phone with a PF regional guy. PF and every group that belongs to the Iowa Conservation Alliance is coming out in support of this bill. He mentioned one point that he had heard. A southern Iowa outfitter went thru hundreds of pounds of corn from Dec.1 thru the end of late anrtlerless season to keep "his" deer on his land and safe from harm. Spin feeders were used, just like Texas. You might say "great, those rifle hunters don't need more targets."

Dale Garner's orginal point- "wildlife resources belong to everyone"

This is not all about CWD. It's has to do with normal distrubution of wildlife. Many of you complain about the late anterless seasons. These will never go away with all the artificial sanctuaries. What is causing many of the sanctuaries ? - read the quote above. The DNR and IBA support normal and even distrubtion of wildlife. Deer simply do not belong to the guy that can dump the most corn during the winter on his land.

I hope everyone looks at this one really hard. The only reason I have the ambition to contact the legislature like I have the last 2 days have been because of the IBA. Although I will fight the IBA tooth and nail to the end of this bill, I will also be a voice for them when something that is actually important comes up. We're all not going to agree, and as a members of IBA, we don't have to back the orginization with the bill, we will simply do the work ourselves, but don't drag the IBA through the mud just yet.

Now, if they start supporting things such as CWD zones, and more NR tag allotment, then yes, lets leave the organization and start another one. As of right now, I am still a member, and will continue to be a member, but just remember, you don't have to support IBA on this bill, but in the same sense, don't use the IBA name as an example of who is supporting. The people we are emailing already knows the IBA's stance, and that, us the people, the voting residents of Iowa, have a different idea on what we would like to see.

Just think about a few things before you write the IBA off, such as I did not 24 hours ago. A good nights sleep, a few beers and a can of chew later, I've gotten clear thoughts back into my head.

I understand the reasoning, I really do. I have run a mineral site or two in my day, but none the last 3 or 4 years. I rarely even run trail cameras anymore. I (obviously) don't hunt over bait and wouldn't even if I could. Heck, the food sources I hunt over aren't even that good, mostly picked corn and beans that have had cattle in them, and alfalfa fields that are overrun with much less nutritious grasses like brome and foxtail. The farms I frequent I share with too many people, so food plots would be a joke, and I doubt that my landowners would even allow it. Also, I in no way, shape or form, supplement food to deer, or any other wildlife, any time of the year. So, I think it would be fair to draw the conclusion that aside from conflicts this bill may bring beyond the wording, it has very little, if not zero effect on me or the way I go about my hunting. That being said:

I happen to have a pretty good knowledge about wildlife diseases, especially those involving big and small game animals. I know what makes up the diseases, the hosts, vectors, longevity, severity, etc., etc. I've also been forced into extensive research on specific cases of these diseases and even gave a 20 minute power-point on Bovine TB within the last year. I AM NOT TOOTING MY OWN HORN, HERE! Instead, just giving some background that may provide some backbone to the argument I make.

I'll start by saying that situations in Iowa and Michigan are very different. I honestly do not see how banning feed is going to make much of a difference in the present state of Iowa's deer herd. Michigan had issues with both cattle and deer because of the nature of the deer herd and the fact that both were given opportunities to interact. Michigan had and still has an enormous amount of hunt clubs and what not that had literally fed the deer herd so much that they were WAY over carrying capacity, thus basically ALL the deer had to feed on the same truckload of corn, or whatever else. This continued to happen well after the disease was discovered in both cattle and deer. I realize there are many more cases of disease in wildlife, this is just one example. How does this compare to Iowa!!??

We are operating well under carrying capacity! Proof of this is the number of fetus' I found in the two big, mature does I killed in southern Iowa last rifle season, in a very, very high density area. Both had triplets. Many others reported the same numbers. This particular area had a good balance of timber and crops, but no big, late-season food plots close by and all crops were picked on both the farm I hunted and also those immediately surrounding it. Bottom line, I really don’t think that banning supplemental feeding, whether it be to get deer through the winter, or to get them to pose for the trailcam, will do much more than tick off many whitetail enthusiasts, as it already has. Our deer population and demographic just isn’t one that has to worry about the huge disease outbreaks as other states have had. This could always change, but that's how I feel presently. Our population statewide is on a downward trend. We have healthy deer and healthy deer that are perfectly capable of surviving solely on the food that nature and the average farmer provides are much less susceptible to disease.

On to the other issue… I really fail to see how this ban is going to free up officers any. But at the same time, if an officer like Cutts is saying it will, I would tend to believe him. He is one of the most balls to the wall officers we have and does his job better than most. I think there are some facts of the matter that are still being left out, but thank you Bonker for clearing some of them up!

I really wonder if guys like Willy know something that we don’t. What’s with the scare and why now? At the same time, there can’t be much of a scare if they are proposing to still allow it within so many yards of a building… ARE YOU SERIOUS? It should be an ALL OR NONE situation. Period. End of story.

At present, I’m remaining neutral on this, leaning towards opposing. Like I said, I really have no dog in this fight and the only effect it will have on me or the way I hunt is if there are some side-effects that go beyond what this bill brings forth, such as the “starting somewhere” theory that many have mentioned. I’d still like to see or hear some more information on why the IBA and DNR are supporting this. Maybe I’m wrong but I bet there is more to be said. Also, I'm with many people in saying that we have a lot more to worry about than this bill. There are bigger fish to fry and those bigger fish just happen to be next in line this legislative session.

SURESHOT – I also thought about calling Julie. Her knowledge probably surpasses that of anybody mentioned who has taken a stance on this issue. Let us know what you hear!

Last edited:
Top Bottom