Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

Would anyone support a modification to this bill if the language read something like, Baiting/feeding is illegal between September 1 through February 1???

That's what needs to happen, right on. For the most part would keep everyone happy, EXAMPLE: the guy that wants to increase herd health with spring/summer minerals OR feed stressed deer in February. It would eliminate the aspect part of this bill's underlying concerns are addressing - the baiting/hunting element & ethics during deer season. Great compromise, it would be far different/limiting than current regs BUT not limit each of us so badly that we couldn't do beneficial things for the herd.

*can you get these ideas in front of the right folks before it's too late to adjust/compromise on some sound logic and reasoning?

Last edited:
I can't claim all the credit... :D Ironwood and I had a fun little brainstorm today, that is a portion of the result....
:drink1:

Would anyone support a modification to this bill if the language read something like, Baiting/feeding is illegal between September 1 through February 1???
Mineral licks stay in the soil, even though the lick is removed from the site; and we all know that the deer like the soil that it has leeched down into as much, or more then the lick itself. Bring in a backhoe Aug 31 and dig up soil and remove?

After talking to a few different people this evening, I am going to take the "wait and see" approach. I think there is alot more to this than what alot of us know, and we should wait until all of the facts are out. I get extremely passionate about this sport and I may have jumped the gun on this one. It is sounding like this is a bigger issue than we realize. I just hope that the proper steps are taken regardless of the outcome. We shall see I guess!

After talking to a few different people this evening, I am going to take the "wait and see" approach. I think there is alot more to this than what alot of us know, and we should wait until all of the facts are out. I get extremely passionate about this sport and I may have jumped the gun on this one. It is sounding like this is a bigger issue than we realize. I just hope that the proper steps are taken regardless of the outcome. We shall see I guess!

I think you are right.:way:

Well, why can't we hear them now then?

I think they may have jumped the gun a bit in starting this post without giving us the facts first. It sounds like we will be getting a thorough explanation in the coming days. We can only hope I guess.

Bring on the explanation now then...but I am pretty sure I'm not going to hear something and say I see a valid point with it. Do they just have to regroup and make up a good excuse for BS?

I would sure like to know a fact or two about this, because I'm not one to "sit and wait". If River 1 knows something, I think you better be posting somethings to try and swing my attitude a bit, because I have made a HUGE amount of phone calls, send a HUGE amount of emails to state reps and other on my email list.

If IBA is going to just come out and say, "We support it, you should support us," well, you better damn well have a reason for it, not just "follow us."

As of right now, I can personally name over 3 dozen IBA members that are walking away from them, so better take action IBA. If your not ready for the flame, don't start the fire, meaning, maybe you should have had your shat together before you announced that you were in support of this bill, and not just say, "we support!!!!!! and we'll tell you why later!!"

Last edited:
Wowsers! Lot's of posts here! How long until the rut starts again? :grin:

A couple thoughts to throw out there...

I would like to encourage people to not ridicule, etc, those that they do not agree with. I have read a couple posts tonight that to me crossed that line and I think that is unfortunate. I am not shy about disagreeing with someone and I don't think anyone else should be either, but I think it is poor form to make posts that put others down, no matter who is right or wrong.

I have run mineral sites for years now and cams over them off and on through the years, with this past year being the first year that I ran cams over the mineral sites all summer and into the fall. So I have some experience in this area, but I do not consider myself an expert per se. I will say that the deer that visit my mineral sites hit them hard from about late March to mid-September or so. There is very little activity in those sites in November through February or so.

Given that, it wouldn't bother me a bit to not have active mineral sites from Sept to Feb because I already don't do that. :grin: However, if the reason(s) behind this proposed ban also include avoiding the spread of disease from animals in close contact, etc, then the 4 or 5 month mineral site "off season" would not accomplish much IMO, because the deer would still be using the mineral sites from Mar to Aug.

I would like to know some more facts before making a solid declaration on the subject, but I really do not see why it is necessary to disallow mineral sites or corn piles, etc. It seems as though this would be difficult to enforce to me too.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
Brucella infections are usually transmitted by oral exposure, but susceptible animals can also be infected by contamination of the eyes, wounds and the genital tract. Males can transmit brucellosis during copulation, either by contaminated semen, or by genitals contaminated by an infected female.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

The case in MI was from cattle and deer eating out of the same feed bunk on a farm...unless of course your thinking the bull bred one of the does??;)

Look folks...if you don't like the bill that's one thing but don't you dare blame the IBA because you sat on your duffs and didn't get involved.

Every IBA member received an email asking for their input...remember we ARE the IBA...so if you didn't care enough to give them your email, if you were to lazy to be an active member then you have no grounds to blame anyone but yourself.

I'm not one bit crazy about this proposed change myself but the IBA members that gave selflessly of their time to go an hear about the proposal are not to blame...you could have went yourself!

Quit the IBA...then you'll be one voice instead of a united one....all this flap on here is crazy...get involved before hand...run for president for crying out loud but don't blame people who volunteer to do the very best they can to represent us. You know that's an impossible task and if you think not...give it a try...step into their shoes and let everyone throw mud at you...it's not a paid position you know!

Maybe we should disband the IBA...then we have no voice at all and you won't know about ANYTHING until it's law. Easy to yell and shout...while you sat by and did nothing...NOTHING....you did NOTHING...and yet have the gall to blame those that made an effort.

Get angry if you wish...but I suggest looking in the mirror when you start casting blame my friends....;)

Every IBA member received an email asking for their input...remember we ARE the IBA...so if you didn't care enough to give them your email, if you were to lazy to be an active member then you have no grounds to blame anyone but yourself.

Paul, I have always respected your opinions, as I think everything that you say holds value, but me, nor the other 3 dozen people must have been left off of the list of emails to ask our opinion on the subject. I am very, very, probably over active in the fight for things that I believe that is right and wrong. I have voiced my opinion so much to my state rep, I am now on a first name basis with him. :grin:

This is just one issue, that I personally believe, that the IBA should have just stayed out of, and let us, the people, and the people that, us the people, voted into office sort out. The IBA (Iowa Bow hunters association) hopefully has GREAT resoning behind their choice.

Another thing, I know Iowawhitetail is full of active IBA members, if those member could, please voice out who got an email on what their stance was on this issue. I would greatly appriciate that. Maybe there was just a number of us that were left off the list.

Seen this awhile ago in the Legislative forum.
Anyone seen anything else?

BTW- The wording was similar to last year.

"To the IBA,

We will be moving forward again with a wildlife baiting/feeding bill again this year (language below). I would like to know your organization’s position on this bill. Please send me an email with your response and cc those on the list above. If you have any doubts about the need for this I suggest you contact your local conservation officer and ask their opinion of the feeding/baiting issue in Iowa. We are clearly aware that most of the hunting land in Iowa is in private ownership but the wildlife resources belong to everyone by Dale Garner "

This will pass. When or if some disease comes to Iowa the DNR, IBA, etc. can say they did the best they could and will not have to be accountable.

Top Bottom