Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ice Fishing in Minnesota

kskoff

A few friends and myself are planning an ice fishing trip up to Minnesota this winter. We went last year (early January) up to Mille Lacs. The only problem (besides slow fishing) was the resort owner wasn't the friendliest guy so we wanted to try somewhere else. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on resorts or lakes they have used in the past. We want to stay on the ice and they don't have to be on Mille Lacs. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on dates when the fishing might be better. This trip is mainly an excuse to get away from the wives and have a few beers with the boys but catching some fish would be nice.

I know some guys that do a lake of the woods trip every year...they say it is a blast, first class stuff and normally catch a pile of fish.

If you wanna POUND some fish...LAKE OF THE WOODS!!... stay at WHEELERS POINT RESORT on the Rainy River... GREAT people and they offer crazy packages.. sleep on ice or stay in the cabins..and they have the best BAR in the area... It's AWSOME.. We are going up probably 3-4 times this ice season. They will even bring meals to ya on the ice!! and booze! DIRT CHEAP!!!

Ryan

Red Lake. Crappie fishing might be slow, but the walleye should be excellent. I havent talked to anyone that didnt catch a pile. The limit is only 2, but I believe you can eat as many as you can. There are multiple resorts that have sleepers on the ice.

Lake of the woods is a long way for you but it's probably the best. They had a great summer and fall up there too. Keep an eye on this site:
http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Lake_of_the_Woods

Red Lake is a numbers thing you will catch a lot of fish but not many in the slot. You'll be lucky to have much to bring home. I have a friend who runs houses on Red and he keeps people on the fish pretty good. His name is CHad Benson:
http://www.chadsredlakerentals.com/

Good luck.

although i have never been id throw another vote in for LOTWs

I wish i had the coin to hit that lake for a 12 day trip chasin skis.....

ug!

good luck

Beer and Food delivered to your ice house!!!!!!!!!!!

How can it get any better then that???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It definitely does not get any better than that. I may have a hard time convincing them to go that far north but I am going to give it a shot.

Back to the Red Lake comments, yes Red Lake is a great stop if you're on your way up to the LOTW definitely worth the stop if you can get far enough on the ice, if you just want to stop in Waskish, stop at the West Wind Resort, by far one of the best Northwoods bars around. Great people, AMAZING food, and if you want, they do have rentals . Otherwise, everyone who goes to Minnesota for hardwater fishing should know about the 30th Annual Eelpout Festival thats coming up February 20-22nd. I'm planning on going and we supposedly have 4 trailers rented out for the event, can't wait, dunno how hard I'll be fishing, but I definitely know how hard I'll be drinking

WHAT?!! You can't beat drinking Grain Belt and smelling the eye watering, yacking smell of cooking pouts... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just tell Fehring that the beer is free and the women are easy in Baudette </div></div>

I will relay the message to him. He is alway up for loose women and free booze. Come to think of it those are my two favorite things as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kskoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will relay the message to him. He is alway up for loose women and free booze. Come to think of it those are my two favorite things as well.
</div></div>

I'm heading to a certain bank tomorrow with that comment printed out.

I just got here to forgive me for the last time I said something inconsiderate. It looks like it is going to be an expensive Christmas. Thanks a lot Matt.

come on Muddy, you are forgetting the most important man law of them all. B's before H's, B's before H's

(I kept it as PC as I could)

Just throwing my opinion out here- I guide on mille lacs during the winter- this year is going to be crazy good for walleye fishing. It all depends on the perch hatch- if the perch hatch is good, you have to compete with the perch to get the walleye to eat your bait as opposed to the perch hatch. It goes in cycles, sometimes mille lacs is the dead sea, and other years it is great. Two years ago, I had three clients out there, and they all caught there biggest eyes- 27, 28, and a 29 1/2- I think one of those fish is picture in this report-
http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=reports&Number=452795

Also, I have fished all over minnesota- I often spend three of four weeks on mille lacs each year. Last year perch hatch was great so I went to big winny, and stayed around home more. For the distance you will travel, I would highly recommend mille lacs, especially if you are just looking to get away. Catching a ton of fish requires mobility and not a ton of time fishing in a shack. Anyways, if you are interested is some great resorts on mille lacs, lemme know, I can personally put you in touch with the owners...

Top Bottom