Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"if i don't shoot him - someone else will - so i better shoot him"

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
If YOU are happy with him, take him. But don't shoot him just because somebody else MIGHT. He's made it this long, he might be able to make it another year or more.

This quote earlier just got me thinking.... I will do my best to leave my opinion out of this. I know several sides on this, be respectful. Remember too - we are in the minority on what bucks we mostly likely pass and we all take management to a different level I would suspect. So, discussion is somewhat in regards to general public not reading this - keep that in mind.

1) Do you often hear "I better shoot it cause if I don't the neighbor will!"? How often do you think folks are shooting bucks where they really are not "happy" with them? - maybe have stacks of similar bucks in their garage, "need to get their bucks" and the neighbor or someone else possibly shooting it is the big reason they shoot it? Or heck, in balance, do you often feel it's an excuse later cause others put too much pressure on shooting older bucks?

2) Shooting a buck you are not "rewarded by", not truly excited, feel is an accomplishment or "trophy" no matter the size - because someone else might shoot him ("if I don't shoot him the neighbor will") - do you have a problem with this or is this the world we live in? (and yes, we all see this extremely common place I'd imagine - we sure do!). This is not a "what age is a trophy or what size" discussion.

3) If you're stoked, thrilled, blown away and have a week of "high" after shooting "ANY" said buck - would we all mainly agree if someone is experiencing that (say including a new hunter getting his 1st buck or 1st really nice buck) is something we all are proud of and stand behind even if maybe it's not mature? Would we also agree we know droves of people who are NOT in that camp who shoot buck after buck - don't think much of it - just another for the garage and better shoot anything because if they don't - someone else will?

2 scenarios (sure, more to it than this)..... 1) I shot the buck because if I didn't, someone else would (and really, reading the mind- they were not thrilled or elated to shoot it) 2) I saw a buck I instantly knew was a shooter - mature and I didn't have to think for half a second whether he was a shooter or not - I knew right away. Shaking, nervous - got it done and I'm so stoked I'm on cloud 9- WHATEVER THE BUCK WAS (like when I about passed out after shooting a 1.5 year old 7 point at 15 years old).

USUALLY, those are the 2 scenarios I see a lot and hear alot of every single year from many friends, folks out there, etc. My GOOD FRIENDS ARE IN BOTH CAMPS- do not want to offend anyone! Generally most I experience fit into those camps if I'm stereotyping and condensing. TRYING to leave my opinion out in initial post - is this what you see, what you think? If you have problems with anything mentioned - any changes that could be done or solutions?? Wanna hear from you and shut my yapper! :way::D

Last edited:
Some deer hunt more for the family aspect or camaraderie of it; they look forward to the yearly get together gun hunt. They want to fill their tags to fill their freezers, with whatever gives them the shot, any legal deer. Again, getting the group back together is the most important part.

Again this year? Maybe if there wasnt so much pressure to shoot something awesome more people would enjoy hunting. My thoughts are shoot whatever makes you happy. If you want to shoot a buck every year no matter how big and thats what makes you happy good for you. This the land of the free where its your choice. Too bad its the land of the next guy thinks you should have his beliefs and talks down about you if you are not as "good" as him.

I have gotten pictures of an awesome three year old that I would be elated to shoot. I know...... just think how big he would be next year. Let him walk last year as an outstanding 2.

See its up to the individual stop pushing everyone to think the same.

When the shed buck post gonna start?

Sent from my tab 2 using IW

Last edited:
Again this year? Maybe if there wasnt so much pressure to shoot something awesome more people would enjoy hunting.
:way::way::way:

I enjoy hunting, period. If I shoot a deer, it a bonus, but I quit worrying about what others think of what I shoot a long time ago, wasted far to many years doing so. Sometimes I'm in the mood to let a young buck walk, other times, I'll put a big round ball through him without a second thought. My freezer doesn't care how old the meat is.:way: I've never shot anything because I felt somebody else would. Makes me wonder.......maybe I'm the guy that others think will shoot "their" deer. :)

Last edited:
Most counties have enough does to fill the freezer. Let those bucks get some age. I think the majority on this site like to shoot mature bucks!

Most counties have enough does to fill the freezer. Let those bucks get some age. I think the majority on this site like to shoot mature bucks!

The majority that post or push their opinion and give others a bad taste in their mouth so they dont post or quit visiting the site all together. Reminds me of a high school click mentality.

The majority that post or push their opinion and give others a bad taste in their mouth so they dont post or quit visiting the site all together. Reminds me of a high school click mentality.

You've scared more people off this site than anyone

Last edited:
Again this year? Maybe if there wasnt so much pressure to shoot something awesome more people would enjoy hunting.

You aren't enjoying hunting?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!?!?! Guys who do want to personally shoot something awesome don't enjoy hunting?

"SHOOTING WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY" - that's EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING THE THREAD AND WHAT I'M SAYING!!!! I'm saying... LOTS OF GUYS ARE NOT "HAPPY", "THRILLED", "ELATED", "SATISFIED" by many bucks they shoot. They simply shoot them because if they don't, the neighbor will (I mean really, how many times have you heard someone say that phrase alone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) or the pressure to kill a buck (not a doe for meat), etc.

I see more guys than I can imagine or care to that shoot a buck and could give 2 craps or cut the rack off and dump it in the garage pile. I've seen more guys with NO EXCITEMENT or REGRET they shot a little buck after they gave in to the pressure to shoot one or feeling the neighbor might get it (not pressure from trophy guys - and SORRY- hardcore Managers & folks trying to let deer get fully mature/to potential - ARE IN THE VAST MINORITY AMONG HUNTERS).

If you're HAPPY, ELATED, STOKED, REWARDED, THRILLED- that's exactly what I got done explaining above- GREAT! READ WHAT I SAID A LITTLE CLOSER PLEASE. I'm NOT talking about those guys. I'm talking about the guys we hear over and over and over who say "if I don't shoot em, my neighbor will". And these are my close buddies and friends that say these things. That statement, I won't reply to that anymore or try not to interject, that's the statement that's so widespread & commonplace I want some honest respectful feedback on. Hopefully that's clear enough. I know this is a hot topic, I'm not trying to be a wanker and don't think I'm coming off like one. I think this is something that's in our faces and backyards every year and commonplace for almost every discussion I have with hunters in general. And, I'm trying not to interject on that. And, if you don't hear that from people, love to hear that too - I'd be surprised but if you don't hear "if I don't shoot it, my neighbor will" at all different levels and extremes with consistency - like to hear from you.

And looking down on those that don't?
I absolutely do not think that's the general case on this site, I really don't think so. I won't go into a long winded explanation on that, just strongly do not believe it's the case.

Last edited:

Well, maybe to some extent, but I would venture to guess that most would like to kill a giant buck. Most giant bucks just so happen to be 4+ year old deer. That is no different than how men feel about their women....We idolize the big breasted woman, etc. We like things that are "big".

If you are shooting something just to shoot something I guess I would "push my agenda" in terms of preferring people to shoot does. The state of Iowa I think also follows this same mentality. It isn't just a few people on here who share this view. We don't have a rifle season for bucks for a reason. We consequently, are one of the most popular states for individuals wanting to shoot "big" deer. The DNR has taken the same approach and luckily, it has filtered down through many hunters and we see big deer every year.

People should never feel ashamed or worried about what others think, but that is just how society works. We are a nation who is insecure and worried about what the next guy thinks, it isn't just deer. The car you drive, the job you have, etc., etc.

You aren't enjoying hunting?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!?!?! Guys who do want to personally shoot something awesome don't enjoy hunting?

"SHOOTING WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY" - that's EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING THE THREAD AND WHAT I'M SAYING!!!! I'm saying... LOTS OF GUYS ARE NOT "HAPPY", "THRILLED", "ELATED", "SATISFIED" by many bucks they shoot. They simply shoot them because if they don't, the neighbor will (I mean really, how many times have you heard someone say that phrase along?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) or the pressure to kill a buck (not a doe for meat), etc.

I see more guys than I can imagine or care to that shoot a buck and could give 2 craps or cut the rack off and dump it in the garage pile. I've seen more guys with NO EXCITEMENT or REGRET they shot a little buck after they gave in to the pressure to shoot one or feeling the neighbor might get it (not pressure from trophy guys).

If you're HAPPY, ELATED, STOKED, REWARDED, THRILLED- that's exactly what I got done explaining above. READ WHAT I SAID A LITTLE CLOSER PLEASE. I'm NOT talking about those guys. I'm talking about the guys we hear over and over and over who say "if I don't shoot em, my neighbor will". And these are my close buddies and friends that say these things. That statement, I won't reply to that anymore or try not to interject, that's the statement that's so widespread & commonplace I want some honest respectful feedback on. Hopefully that's clear enough.

I read what you wrote. Its transparent what you think and are trying to push. Not the only one that think so it looks like.

Sligh

Most hunters just make an excuse about the neighbor shooting it. In reality it's simply a weak minded/undisciplined response to justify killing a deer. They don't want to work hard enough to kill a big deer but they darn sure will complain about the neighbors behavior when they are doing the same thing! Your exactly right that killing a ton of bucks and then throwing hacked off racks in the garage is a joke. That's just disrespectful to the animal IMO.

Also I'd say that 90% of hunters talk a game they don't play. Just like most over estimate the score of a buck. It's just guys puffing out their chest and saying mine is bigger than yours syndrome.

What I find extremely amusing is talking hunting with people I run into. It's amazing how many guys run their trap and really have no clue. After about five minutes you can usually tell who's the real deal and who's not. Funny enough the ones who talk the most are usually completely full of shit. The quiet reserved guys seem the be the ones feeling you out like you are them. Those are the ones that lead to longer conversations and sometimes friendships down the road.

I'm talking about the guys we hear over and over and over who say "if I don't shoot em, my neighbor will".

I've honestly been one of those guys (started out a true meat hunter/tag filler: first legal deer died). For the most part, in some areas of the state, it is a true statement. If you hunt public or don't "control" enough land, you feel powerless in "managing" the deer. The statement of "if you kill it, it will never get to be a trophy" rings hollow: bird in the hand, worth two in the bush.

I won't say that I've "seen the error in my ways" and I am now a trophy hunter, but I have raised my standards some. Maybe it's a progression thing and your friends might change.

It definitely is a progression thing for people but the person has to WANT to progress and achieve higher standards and be willing to out in the time to achieve it.

That's where most fall short and go back to the same old excuses

I read what you wrote. Its transparent what you think and are trying to push. Not the only one that think so it looks like.

Oh, I understand most my perspectives (which yes, I like managing for older bucks and balanced deer herds) are in the minority which means several folks are going to disagree. I'm sure I'll get several more that disagree with some stances. I did TRY and take a "good amount" of my stance out of this. Yes, it's no secret what i think i would suspect but at least gimme a little credit for trying to keep most opinion out of initial post and clearly express what I see as 2 camps of what all of us encounter with other hunters. I want to hear from others is the main point, even if I did interject my opinion. Hard core deer managers trying to let bucks get to a mature age, reach potential and have a healthy & balanced deer herd are the TINY dot proportion of Iowa hunters so hopefully the rest don't feel too threatened & I personally don't think guys managing for a great deer herd are doing it out of ego - most of it is out of passion, love of habitat, respect for the animal, BIOLOGICAL REASONS and challenge of the hunt and reward of the hunt.

It does boggle the mind when I see guys blasting bucks and getting no enjoyment out of it - I sit back and watch, don't say a thing and you mention folks not enjoying hunting - I usually see that in the group that shoots a buck cause the neighbor will if he don't or cause he feels pressure to simply kill a buck. I love hunting, eating a tag, waiting for a mature animal and no, I personally won't shoot something cause neighbor will or cause of what my buddies might think if I don't get one. That would make hunting not enjoyable in my opinion.

From some of the perspectives, sounds like some don't like hunting or enjoy it?!?!?!? Why is that? Sure should not be because of others & are others dictating your enjoyment of the sport? Don't wanna distract but ya- still very interested in responses on original topic and sure, here's pry me pulling back most the curtain of what I likely think. No big conspiracy here though, no brainwashing or cult memberships intended and No, Bush didn't order those planes into the twin towers.

And, to be clear, I know millions have the "if I don't shoot it my neighbor will mentality" - I DO NOT want to offend or piss folks off for no good reason. Close friends of mine and dozens of friends/fam I know have that perspective. And we get along, just disagree on that. So- please don't take this as an insult, I'm not meaning it like that.

Top Bottom