Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"if i don't shoot him - someone else will - so i better shoot him"

And, to be clear, I know millions have the "if I don't shoot it my neighbor will mentality" - I DO NOT want to offend or piss folks off for no good reason. Close friends of mine and dozens of friends/fam I know have that perspective. And we get along, just disagree on that. So- please don't take this as an insult, I'm not meaning it like that.

I have a ton of buddies who think the same way. We just don't hunt together for deer for obvious reasons.

I can honestly say that I have never heard a hunter say the words "if I don't shoot him the neighbor will". Maybe I am fortunate enough to Hunt around people who don't have this mentality but I really don't think there are many hunters who believe this.

Ido hear guys regretting what hey have shot, generally thou the regret comes when people start talking down about their deer. Most of these guys were pumped when they shot the deer, something about the hunt or deer got the blood boiling and they picked up the weapon and harvested the animal for a reason. Whatever their reason might have been is what hunting is all about, they got excited, made a great shot, and completed their mission. If others didn't judge their would rarely ever be a hunter with remorse.

I myself like the challenge of chasing mature deer. However, I also am fortunate enough to be able to sit in a treestand for 50+ hunts ever year in pursuit of this goal. Some do not have that luxury or simply dont want to put in that kind of time deer hunting. For them getting together with friends and family and whacking a few deer is the best two days of the year, regardless of what sex or size of deer. If they throw a rack in a pile, so be it, you have no control over it so you might as well quit letting it stress you out.

Hunt for the reasons you like to hunt and be proud of the deer you harvest.

Kratz

I can honestly say that I have never heard a hunter say the words "if I don't shoot him the neighbor will". Maybe I am fortunate enough to Hunt around people who don't have this mentality but I really don't think there are many hunters who believe this.

Ido hear guys regretting what hey have shot, generally thou the regret comes when people start talking down about their deer. Most of these guys were pumped when they shot the deer, something about the hunt or deer got the blood boiling and they picked up the weapon and harvested the animal for a reason. Whatever their reason might have been is what hunting is all about, they got excited, made a great shot, and completed their mission. If others didn't judge their would rarely ever be a hunter with remorse.

I myself like the challenge of chasing mature deer. However, I also am fortunate enough to be able to sit in a treestand for 50+ hunts ever year in pursuit of this goal. Some do not have that luxury or simply dont want to put in that kind of time deer hunting. For them getting together with friends and family and whacking a few deer is the best two days of the year, regardless of what sex or size of deer. If they throw a rack in a pile, so be it, you have no control over it so you might as well quit letting it stress you out.

Hunt for the reasons you like to hunt and be proud of the deer you harvest.

Kratz

That's the kinda feedback I wanted to hear!!! Different experience, different perspective, etc. Though you likely live in a cave or as a hermit not hearing this :D it's great to hear this and a different point of view. thx!

I have a ton of buddies who think the same way. We just don't hunt together for deer for obvious reasons.

Yep - exactly!!! It's kinda like going into business with someone with totally different work ethic, money management and goals as you... you're better off leaving that part out of your relationship and just being friends without the business. Or in this case, the hunting. I agree 100%!!!! My close FRIENDS will always be CLOSE FRIENDS but we simply hunt different farms and yes- if they hunt my farm - it's my rules BUT for the most part, they just do their thing on their own farm and i do my thing on mine.

Last edited:
That's the kinda feedback I wanted to hear!!! Different experience, different perspective, etc. Though you likely live in a cave or as a hermit not hearing this :D it's great to hear this and a different point of view. thx!

I never really worry about neighbors, it is more the shotgun seasons when it is almost impossible to keep a party off your property at all times unless you are out there doing like undercover work or poachers. I understand that is just a given, but I am most nervous once the 1st of Dec. rolls around. Again, just like you I'm not stereotyping anyone, but in very rural parts of the state we all know how hard it is to keep certain people out.

I do hear guys regretting what hey have shot, generally thou the regret comes when people start talking down about their deer. Most of these guys were pumped when they shot the deer, something about the hunt or deer got the blood boiling and they picked up the weapon and harvested the animal for a reason. Whatever their reason might have been is what hunting is all about, they got excited, made a great shot, and completed their mission. If others didn't judge there would rarely ever be a hunter with remorse.

The "yardstick" society we live in, hunters being proactive on anticipated criticism by saying "if I didn't shoot...".

Wow! I feel so honored to have my post used as the basis for this soon to be locked thread! Haha!

I guess my feelings kind of go along with that original quote. It honestly bugs the crap out of me when someone uses the excuse of "if I don't someone else will". I've personally never heard it AFTER someone has harvested a deer but rather a justification for IF they harvest it. Now, don't get me wrong. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with someone shooting a young buck, I do have a problem when someone feels the need to justify shooting a small buck by way of a lame excuse. Would I like to have seen the deer passed and let go? You betcha. But if the individual who took it did so because it's what they were truly looking for then fantastic!
I do understand the "need to justify" feeling. There is a ton of pressure in the whitetail world to shoot a big mature buck. And the groups I hunt with are made up mostly of what I would call big buck hunters so hunting with us and shooting something young would be a tough situation and would definitely make a person feel like they need a good reason other than its the one they wanted. That's not the shooters fault, its the rest of the groups fault for putting too much emphasis on shooting only big bucks.
In all honesty I've been in the position of justifying a kill myself a few times. It usually comes I'm the form of "I didn't have time to look it over" or "it was in corn stalks and I couldn't see it very well". And having that feeling of needing to justify it sucks and takes away the accomplishment of harvesting a nice deer rather than a great deer.
Hunting is about enjoying the outdoors and any harvest done legally is fantastic. Shoot what you want, be proud of it and leave it at that.

I always use the excuse if I do not shoot it then its picture will not be on Iowawhitetail. ;)

In all honesty, and sad to say, hunting has evolved into if you are not killing 150+ inch 5.5 year old deer you are not S(&t and should not of shot it.

Just turn on the TV or flip through a magazine. Heck I have seen people give kids grief over small bucks they shot. Oh man, that would of been a giant in a couple years ago. I hear that a lot with most deer. People need a swift kick in the nuts.

The worst thing another hunter can do is downplay someone's deer. Between buddies yeah thats fine more jokingly but to others not so much. No matter what I shoot it will be a nice sized fawn to some of my buddies.

I believe the phrase "if I did not someone else will or this is a good management buck to get out of the herd" is all a justification of why they shot it when at the time they were truly happy to shoot it. They are trying to fend off other hunter's downplaying their deer or not living up to the standards of North American Whitetail.

I have got a pile of racks sitting in the garage. My ole man has a pile of racks on his barn wall in the 150-160 range. Happy to shoot all of them. Just because they are hanging there does not mean they do not mean anything.

Hunting has turned for the worse. People do not even ask for the story any more. All they ask is how big, what did it score?

I hunt for the memories made with those I love, and those made simply enjoying what my Creator has made for us all to enjoy. I truly think that God is disappointed in the god that we have made hunting to be. We've been given authority over creation to subdue it, but ultimately, to enjoy it and praise God for it. Just enjoy it! I didn't shoot the fork horn last year that I could have reached out and slapped, not because I didn't think about during the latter part of November when my tag was burning a hole in my pocket, but because I was so amazed to just watch this stuff happen, and couldn't believe the deer didn't know I was there. I was in awe of the created, and was moved to simple joy in what God allows me to do in hunting. Please remember that God is supreme above all, and we need to be careful not to place something else above him, even in pursuit of something that would look cool on the wall.

Last edited:
Lets all put up high fences on our 15 acre hunting leases and shoot our own deer! Then we can grow any size we want! Seriously though if someone is happy shooting a spike buck then good for them. I won't talk down or criticize them for shooting a young deer. They had the opportunity and took the deer. At least they are enjoying it. This shoot/pass will always have two sides. Just enjoy the sport and don't take it for granted.

The buck I shot 2 years ago only scored 124 but it was a deer with lots of character. Split g2 split brow and a great kicker off the left side. I had hundreds of pictures of the deer. It was my second buck I ever got with my bow. My first scored 149 7/8 and I think I honestly enjoyed the second one more. It was the first time my dad was with me when I harvested a deer and I think he was just as ecstatic as I was. I think we can all agree that nothing will ever top the high of killing a buck that you are truly proud of. Just the feeling of seeing a shooter in range is almost too much for me to handle!

That phrase was popular in MI, and still is. The average buck seen up there was a yearling, and a buck two yrs old, was a trophy! It is up to the individual, but everyone there really wanted to see older bucks. Not really satisfied with youngins, but could never hold back and so it goes. MI DNR told me also ,when I moved up north that 80% of ALL bucks were gone after the first 3 days of Rifle Season-Incredible, by Iowa standards.

I'm sure we have all evolved from our own personal version of "lesser" standards. I know my first buck was a yearling that scored about 80 inches. Couldn't have been prouder. I've also killed others that score in the teens and don't regret those either. This day and age however I aim for mature bucks only. But that switch doesn't generally happen overnight. Everyone is at different levels of satisfaction in their hunting careers, and I wish they would not be looked down on by others. Yes I get frustrated when I pass a 3 year old with hopes of him turning 5 some day; only to never see him again. But that's reality. On the flip side, maybe I've killed a 5.5 year old that someone else hoped to see as a 6.5 year old.

That phrase was popular in MI, and still is. The average buck seen up there was a yearling, and a buck two yrs old, was a trophy! It is up to the individual, but everyone there really wanted to see older bucks. Not really satisfied with youngins, but could never hold back and so it goes. MI DNR told me also ,when I moved up north that 80% of ALL bucks were gone after the first 3 days of Rifle Season-Incredible, by Iowa standards.

Probably why I notice that statement as much as I do. Iowa folks might not realize how good we have it here and why some MI folks could be a little more sensitive to hearing that - it's ruined the whole state. Thankfully Iowa is 1000x better than MI. Good responses so far. & yes, I think we all agree- we hunt because we love it, enjoy the time, enjoy making memories, etc.- all on board for that I hope.

I'm sure we have all evolved from our own personal version of "lesser" standards. I know my first buck was a yearling that scored about 80 inches. Couldn't have been prouder. I've also killed others that score in the teens and don't regret those either. This day and age however I aim for mature bucks only. But that switch doesn't generally happen overnight. Everyone is at different levels of satisfaction in their hunting careers, and I wish they would not be looked down on by others. Yes I get frustrated when I pass a 3 year old with hopes of him turning 5 some day; only to never see him again. But that's reality. On the flip side, maybe I've killed a 5.5 year old that someone else hoped to see as a 6.5 year old.

Man, I killed so many 1.5's the 1st few years of hunting, it was great! I was elated & stoked!!! Then, maybe few years in, I wanted more of a challenge and it just changed every few years in my example.
I will ADMIT- it is frustrating for me to pass a young buck with great potential over and over to have the neighbor shotgun group blast him & watch them throw em in the truck with no enthusiasm - just another buck for the pile. It would be different if a kid got em for his 1st buck and was completely blown away. Thankfully, in IOWA, a good amount make it thru though.

Last edited:
I still haven't shot a buck due to the fact that criticism will follow if its a young deer. So i'll continue to hunt does until that "right" buck comes by. I believe this year anything 120+ is getting an arrow I don't care what other people think this year.

Last edited:
I still haven't shot a buck due to the fact that criticism will follow if its a young deer. So i'll continue to hint does until that "right" buck comes by. I believe this year anything 120+ is getting an arrow I don't care what other people think this year.

I think others would agree with me.... I think that's crap others would criticize you when you are trying to get your 1st buck! I hope you shoot what makes you happy, get that 1st buck and have the thrill & memory that will last forever. Absolutely wouldn't care what others think either. and you sure aren't fitting the thread mold of "if I don't shoot em, my neighbors will" - you're out for your 1st buck and hope it comes together for you!!!

I think when I said (in the other thread) About someone else will
Shoot him- it was taken a bit out of proportion and I should have expanded farther- I myself get just as much thrill killing a
Doe with a bow as I do a buck. It's the thrill of the hunt for me- but I like to let myself let the almost mature bucks pass me by as I also get that thrill
Of discipline knowing most wouldn't have let him walk. But when i take others out hunting
A trophy to them isn't always what a trophy to me would be. And if my dad or a friend I take on that property wants to shoot the buck in my other thread- good on them!

We are in a world where everyone thinks their opinion is worth more because of their hunting expertise- but all that truly matters is come January- did you enjoy your hunting season and happy with YOUR choices.

A trophy isn't always determined by inches of antlers- but by the reaction of the person killing it!

Hunting is fun, amazing, rewarding and my passion. It doesn't bother me in the least if someone wants to shoot a 1 yr old, a button buck, a yearling doe. If you hunting for meat, I'd think you'd want to kill a big fat doe or buck to get the most bang out of your tag money and processing fee. I manage my home farm for mature bucks as well as possible. The neighbors kill some of the bucks young and old, they kill a lot of doe's, way more than bucks. I hope they shoot whatever makes them happy as long as they only kill what they are allowed. If they shoot more than one buck I'd turn them in for poaching (*only allowed one antlered deer in Ky per year).

Location is a big deciding factor to what you can hold out for, you can't kill a 150 inch deer if there isn't one around on your property. But you eventually realize that you got to pass up 120 and 130" deer in order to get a shot at a 150'' and gamble that the neighbor isn't going to kill them all....

I think there are a few people out there that don't care whether they kill a big mature buck or not, but most of them will if presented with one in front of them.

Skip I love to hunt. My only true hobby or passion other than my family.

Let me ask you this. If deer all only lived one and all grew the exact same sized set of antlers would you hunt them. I would. From what I read in your post there would be no enjoy left in it for you. That's why I enjoy turkey hunt more than deer anymore. Lot less of a pissing match.

This is a great thread! I am sure that several guys can relate to my opinion to all of this.

I LOVE to bow hunt, everything about it gets me fired up! But the part i love most is getting an opportunity at a mature whitetail. Of course i would like to shoot a 160 every year, but score truly does not mean anything to me if it is a mature deer. Like a few other guys on here i have the opportunity to hunt 30+ days out of the season. So the reason that i do not and will not shoot an immature deer, is simply because once i do, my season is over. In KS we only get one tag. So if i do shoot a deer that i am not absolutely thrilled about, i will sit inside my house the rest of the season wondering what I am missing. I would much rather not fill my tag than shoot an immature deer.

Personally I love to bow hunt and I enjoy passing up deer as much as anything.. If I shoot the first buck that walks by I'm done and sitting at home (1) buck limit in MN. I like to watch all wildlife and really love seeing a buck on camera then seeing him in the field. (gun hunting is fun too, but archery is fully addictive)

I have a lot of friends that used to just hunt one weekend (slug) that we have convinced to take up archery. They love it now... Same reason, you see a ton of wildlife, and the season allows you to be picky about what you shoot.

My boys hunt with me and they are all at different levels of hunting bucks (one likes to shoot mature bucks the younger one will be happy with a spike )

One thing that I have become used to is eating a buck tag once in awhile, it doesn't always work out and I'm ok with that, I came home with a unfilled Iowa shotgun tag in my pocket last year...oh well, saw some great deer, had fun...

The challenge of hunting a mature buck is as exciting as anything out there, and I don't feel I have to apologize to anyone for trying to shoot a big buck (except my wife as it involves lots of hours in the woods)!!

Top Bottom