Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If u were the "Deer Dictator" on Laws- what would u do?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Meant more for fun & hypothetically BUT.... What's some ideas you'd implement with the purpose of making Iowa's deer quality & buck quality better. As we all know, it's good & some pockets far better than others & a lot of room to make it even much better if the citizens so decided.

If your goal was to make Iowa several notches above Canada, Kansas, Illinois, etc for monster bucks, what types of things would you implement as the "Deer Dictator"??

Like, 1 buck for regular citizens, 1+1 landowner tag for landowners (both reduced by 1). Changing gun seasons, shortening any seasons, limitations on weapons, no shed buck season, etc??? Not saying I do or don't agree with anything like that, just throwing some out there. Wanna hear from you. Is there some laws, regs, etc that could thrust iowa to a considerably better position for mature (5.5 year old+ bucks) to be in far greater supply? Keep much more of the 2-3 yr old top genetic bucks that are commonly shot now safe? Dunno- wanna hear from you?!?!? :way:

Oh, & I'll be the 1st reply to my own thread. I have like 12 things I was thinking of. ONE of which.... I would have a law that each CO have at least 1 or more Robo-buck for the area & some hired men helped out on the stings all over. Go full force after the poachers that are smoking countless decent to monster bucks all over Iowa. Put a huge dent on those crooks. Kind of different that what I was mentioning above BUT one thing I'd add.

None of this will fly and I wouldn't support much of it because lifes short and I love t hunt BUT if you wanted to have a mega state in which to be honest we already do...

1 buck per resident - I would want your anysex tag to be good for all seasons. You decide when and how you will kill your buck. Landowners give them their tag.

Cut the doe tags in half. The population needs to grow.

Eliminate late antlerless season as part of cutting doe tags in half.

Somehow make it worthwhile to go back to CRP. Bring 1000s of acres of habitat back to the wildlife to get them to flourish.

Make it so that insurance or farm bureau has no say or input to anybody on how to manage deer season.

Keep NR tags the same

Make Skip governor of the state to manage the deer herd and throw anyone in jail who shoots less than a 5.5year old deer, including kids..... I kid, I kid.... ;) I would be the first in jail. :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, I like where we are at now but I do believe we can cut back on the does. I also cringe seeing all the CRP acres coming out and all the beautiful draws and timbers being cleared for more ag land. I get why they are doing it and it is their land to do so. Just sucks seeing it but that is just me being selfish. I am not a fan of party hunting but I understand why it is in place. I would shut down the NR loophole of party hunting with doe tags to shoot bucks which is just me being selfish again but blows my mind.

Last edited:
1. End late antlerless season

2. Let the DNR control the antlerless tags, not the Governor, who is influenced by FB etc. Therefore, the tag numbers would be dropped.

3. No more party hunting during gun season. By this I mean, you shoot the deer you tag the deer, no shooting a deer then someone else tagging it.

4. Cut the publicity on tv, magazines, dvds about "Iowa mega-bucks!!" and the like.

5. Eight point minimum on buck harvests, with the exception of youth/disabled seasons.

6. No increase on NR tags.

7. Find a way to curb outragoues lease prices/out of state landownership. Maybe put a maximun on the amount a acres one can lease??

8. Limit outfitters.

9. Habitat, habitat, habitat. Need to find a way to make it an incentive for landowners to create habitat. Driving the country side rarely do I see habitat construction, commonly seeing deconstruction/clearing.

1) Find some way to purchase and maintain more Public Ground for recreational use.

2) Eliminate late antlerless season.

3) Eliminate NR loopholes in gun seasons. If you shoot it, you tag it.

4) Mandate that when hunting private ground, hunters must carry a signed permision slip from landowner at all times.

5) Increase the trespass fee to at least $500 a pop, and if trespasser is found to have hurt the property ( trees, fences, etc ) or animals on said property, charge them the cost of fixing or replacing what they have destroyed.

6) Check stations for deer.

7) Suspend the HUSH program indefinitely.

8) Create good and proper habitat incentives for landowners for all types of wildlife.

9) Limit outfitters and their leases.

If your goal was to make Iowa several notches above Canada, Kansas, Illinois, etc for monster bucks, what types of things would you implement as the "Deer Dictator"??:way:

Your already notches above Illinois.

Hey Doneright, I would also close the resident loophole in shotgun seasons.....if you shoot it you tag it.

1.) End the late antlerless season everywhere
2.) Cut the county doe quotas in half
3.) 2nd season shotgun gets reduced to 1 weekend
4.) Late season muzzleloader ends on Dec. 31st
5.) The 1 buck rule, 2 for landowners, and your buck tags are good for any season you can legally hunt. Limited to 2 seasons (archery + shotgun, archery + muzz, shotgun + muzz, etc.).
6.) Keep the non-resident tags where they are
7.) Eliminate party hunting (this will close the non-resident doe loophole)
8.) Antler restrictions like the PA law

Other laws...

1.) Poachers get 5-10 years in prison and get to share a cell with "Bubba"
2.) Trespassers get 1 year in prison and get 50 lashings from landowner

Meant more for fun & hypothetically BUT.... What's some ideas you'd implement with the purpose of making Iowa's deer quality & buck quality better. As we all know, it's good & some pockets far better than others & a lot of room to make it even much better if the citizens so decided.

If your goal was to make Iowa several notches above Canada, Kansas, Illinois, etc for monster bucks, what types of things would you implement as the "Deer Dictator"??

Like, 1 buck for regular citizens, 1+1 landowner tag for landowners (both reduced by 1). Changing gun seasons, shortening any seasons, limitations on weapons, no shed buck season, etc??? Not saying I do or don't agree with anything like that, just throwing some out there. Wanna hear from you. Is there some laws, regs, etc that could thrust iowa to a considerably better position for mature (5.5 year old+ bucks) to be in far greater supply? Keep much more of the 2-3 yr old top genetic bucks that are commonly shot now safe? Dunno- wanna hear from you?!?!? :way:

1 buck a year, 2 for landowners. Ending all seasons on Dec 31st. End party hunting completely, one tag for one person, you can't shoot 3 bucks and put them on others tags. Deer drives would be reduced this way.

1. No season past dec 31 in Iowa
2. Maximum number of buck tags is (2)
3. Each landowner would be able to aquire appropriate doe tags to manage his property to avoid the high doe pockets.

1.) End the late antlerless season everywhere
2.) Cut the county doe quotas in half
3.) 2nd season shotgun gets reduced to 1 weekend
4.) Late season muzzleloader ends on Dec. 31st
5.) The 1 buck rule, 2 for landowners, and your buck tags are good for any season you can legally hunt. Limited to 2 seasons (archery + shotgun, archery + muzz, shotgun + muzz, etc.).
6.) Keep the non-resident tags where they are
7.) Eliminate party hunting (this will close the non-resident doe loophole)
8.) Antler restrictions like the PA law

Other laws...

1.) Poachers get 5-10 years in prison and get to share a cell with "Bubba"
2.) Trespassers get 1 year in prison and get 50 lashings from landowner

Love how this guy thinks. I'd do the same and also echo Sligh's recommendation of focusing more on targeting poachers.

1) Get rid of all current seasons

2) Open a year round knife season
- Youth and disabled can use a samurai sword
- If hunting with an outfitter you must use a butter knife
3) Must take a bite out of the heart immediately after harvest
4) Anyone found guilty of poaching or trespassing will have one finger cut off per charge
5) Employers must allow at least two weeks of paid hunting leave
6) Illegal for significant others to mention you spend to much time hunting more than once in the same year
7) For every tree you remove on a farm you must plant two more somewhere else

1. Poachers fine $1000, 3 years loss of hunting and fishing rights. Poached deer over 150"s $5000.00 and 5 years loss of hunting and fishing rights.
2. Trespassing, $500.00 Fine, loss of hunting and fishing rights for one year.
3. Eliminate party hunting completely. Group hunting fine, but everybody has to shoot their own deer. Once each hunter shoots deer he cannot carry weapon.
4. Biologists set harvest Quota by region. remove politics.
5. All seasons completed by Dec. 31st.

How many of you wanting to do away with late antlerless own land or live in the southern two tiers of counties? How many of you wanting to do away with party hunting actually party hunt. How could the dnr function without those tag sales(party).Not as well i think. Kinda disturbing how many want to dictate others hunting practices. Doesnt make some of you any different than state farm. I didnt post to argue and be a shit stirrer. Hope this post doesnt go 20+ pages because of my post but if my post makes you think about your own personal hunting choices and how you are a little quick to regulate anothers then are you really trying to improve the state of Iowa deer/buck herd? Or are you trying to improve your chances at a trophy. Now in saying all that if you want to improve the deer herd or increase the deer numbers, do away with all deer seasons for 2013-2014. Bowtech that made me laugh. Thanks

Last edited:
Realistically, you're not going to ever get several notches above here. I'm not sure if that is a serious goal "several notches above Canada".... at least this part of Canada. As an outsider making a recomendation it'd be this "one buck tag".

Great topic Sligh! For me, it goes as follows:

1.) Eliminate shed buck season

2.) Establish a "number of antler points" minimum rule. ie: sort of like Pennsylvania. Man SE, you beat me to it.

3.) Have a rule that pertains to there having to be a certain amount acres enrolled in CRP/Timber before any more acres can be taken out for crops (corn, soybeans, etc)

4.) You remove a tree, you plant two in it's place. It can by anywhere on the property.

How many of you wanting to do away with late antlerless own land or live in the southern two tiers of counties? How many of you wanting to do away with party hunting actually party hunt. How could the dnr function without those tag sales(party).Not as well i think. Kinda disturbing how many want to dictate others hunting practices. Doesnt make some of you any different than state farm. I didnt post to argue and be a shit stirrer. Hope this post doesnt go 20+ pages because of my post but if my post makes you think about your own personal hunting choices and how you are a little quick to regulate anothers then are you really trying to improve the state of Iowa deer/buck herd? Or are you trying to improve your chances at a trophy. Now in saying all that if you want to improve the deer herd or increase the deer numbers, do away with all deer seasons for 2013-2014. Bowtech that made me laugh. Thanks

I live in SW Iowa..most people who are serious hunters down here want it to end. In fact, I wonder if the majority of tags aren't bought by guys from up north. As far as party hunting, it's kind of a crock that a guy can shoot 4 bucks a year, archery, doe tag for season 1, doe tag for season 2, Late Muzzle any sex. It's a joke. DNR could make up for the loss of tag sales by increasing fines for poaching, tresspassing, and actually enforcing the laws on waterways and farming.

I live in SW Iowa..most people who are serious hunters down here want it to end. In fact, I wonder if the majority of tags aren't bought by guys from up north. As far as party hunting, it's kind of a crock that a guy can shoot 4 bucks a year, archery, doe tag for season 1, doe tag for season 2, Late Muzzle any sex. It's a joke. DNR could make up for the loss of tag sales by increasing fines for poaching, tresspassing, and actually enforcing the laws on waterways and farming.
Unless you have a land owner tag, didn't know you could get a doe tag for each shotgun season, only one of the seasons but not both. If I shoot a buck during 1st season and I have a doe tag, the anysex tag in our group goes on the buck and the only tag left is a doe tag, so not sure how that makes a whole lot of difference if I shoot the buck or the other guy shoots the buck. Maybe a one buck limit period, including archery and gun seasons. Not one with a bow and one with a gun, just one.

Unless you have a land owner tag, didn't know you could get a doe tag for each shotgun season, only one of the seasons but not both. If I shoot a buck during 1st season and I have a doe tag, the anysex tag in our group goes on the buck and the only tag left is a doe tag, so not sure how that makes a whole lot of difference if I shoot the buck or the other guy shoots the buck. Maybe a one buck limit period, including archery and gun seasons. Not one with a bow and one with a gun, just one.

Makes a difference when guys are dragging their wives out to buy licenses, just so they can shoot the buck.

Top Bottom