Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If u were the "Deer Dictator" on Laws- what would u do?

I agree a 1 buck limit I would be fine with... also cutting the late doe season, because again, I agree that most of those tags are bought by the people up north... I saw over 40 deer hanging in two guys sheds from their "friends" from up north came down to shoot everything that moved basically, mainly because they dont bowhunt the area, so they didnt care...
other than that... I agree with if you rip a tree out, you have to plant 2 in its place... maybe that would stop the farmers from ripping out every piece of cover

Wow Still alot of shotgun party hunting haters
1. Go with Bow hunting only season Oct 1-Dec 31.
2. 1 buck tag/ 2 if landowner
3. 4 points per side minimum
4. More Habitat/food plots

Then when there are way too many deer find the cure for CWD and aby other disease pretty simple huh?

Great post. I own no land. I actually love sarcasm but Bowtech that was plain stupid. Prairie is dead on. IMO it is all about ethics. To kill 5 bucks and put somebody else's tag on it is plain wrong. Catching poachers should be a priority. Whether we like the laws is one thing, but breaking them is wrong. Finding loopholes, again it comes back to ethics.

I agree on tougher/more strict laws and regs on poaching and trespassing. All seasons end Dec 31st. Doe tags need to be regulated a little better. No late rifle season. I also agree with if you shoot it, you tag it. I think MN is really starting to see the benefits of the new law they started a few years back which is if you are going to shoot a buck, it needs to have at least 4 points on one side. (Only thing I don't like about that is there can be some very mature deer that may not have 4 points to a side. Ex: big 3x3 that everyone would love to shoot.

Wow Still alot of shotgun party hunting haters
1. Go with Bow hunting only season Oct 1-Dec 31.
2. 1 buck tag/ 2 if landowner
3. 4 points per side minimum
4. More Habitat/food plots

Then when there are way too many deer find the cure for CWD and aby other disease pretty simple huh?

I don't hate the shotgun season...dislike the people buying tags in all the gun seasons, then buying tags for their wives and kids..parents..cousins..and shooting multiple bucks. Is it legal, yes. Ethical? No way. Also, deer drives are a little on the edge too if you have 20 guys pushing. Call it a harvest....a deer drive...etc, not really challenging like hunting is. My opinion are offensive only to those whose opinions I would find offensive.

I wouldn't change season dates but I would:

1) Cut antler less tags in all counties
2) Make antler less tags valid for all seasons
3) Push the WIHA program more and bring back CRP incentives
4) Allow full control of DNR in regards to managing natural resources
5) Purchase more public lands for hunting access

I don't see why the farm beaurea has a say anyhow...we have 'depredation tags'. Also, if you cut the number of doe tags it doesn't matter the season dates. The tags would reflect actual numbers of does that need to be harvested in each state. Notice that I didn't suggest getting rid of the late anterless season either.

Curious as to why??

Gives to much incentive to whack and stack does in my opinion and to easy of a way for people to get rid of a deer they are killing just to kill, not feed their own family. Just my thoughts on it. I'm not completely against the program but it goes hand in hand with the antlerless seasons in my mind.

1. All seasons end on december 31
2. 1 doe tag per season ( 1 for bow, 1 for gun season of choice)
3. Bring CRP program back
4. Crack down on poachers ( More COs and more patroling from them)
5. Take out late antlerless seasons

1. I would keep your 2 bucks tags,one of them is automatically a bow tag but then you would be able to choose if you want the other tag to be a bow tag or a gun tag...........now that would be pretty cool!

"getting rid of HUSH" - that's one I haven't heard before BUT it's an interesting thought.... Some great value in all that meat supplied to the needy BUT, on the other hand, I get where you're coming from. I see both sides BUT how often I hear "I need meat!!!" (which many do and that's great!!!) - I've personally seen group after group (I mean countless!!!!) dropping off truck loads of deer late Shed buck season at HUSH lockers. Literally pick-ups filled with 10-15 deer, countless times. You obviously know guys are out to simply blast everything & that's all they care about- blasting. NOT caring about what they shoot, why they shoot it, impact, neighbors, anything - blasting is only reason. Interesting! It'd be a hot button with the public with all the good it does BUT..... In this example - you're the deer dictator!!! :)

"getting rid of HUSH" - that's one I haven't heard before BUT it's an interesting thought.... Some great value in all that meat supplied to the needy BUT, on the other hand, I get where you're coming from. I see both sides BUT how often I hear "I need meat!!!" (which many do and that's great!!!) - I've personally seen group after group (I mean countless!!!!) dropping off truck loads of deer late Shed buck season at HUSH lockers. Literally pick-ups filled with 10-15 deer, countless times. You obviously know guys are out to simply blast everything & that's all they care about- blasting. NOT caring about what they shoot, why they shoot it, impact, neighbors, anything - blasting is only reason. Interesting! It'd be a hot button with the public with all the good it does BUT..... In this example - you're the deer dictator!!! :)

I would like to see the breakdown on what percentage actually goes to the people that need it vs what ends up at the prisons. My big thing is people should be willing to eat what they kill or donate it personally to a family in need of it. Instead of being able to blast whatever, whenever and then just pretty much ditch the animal for someone else to take care of and not knowing exactly where and you it is going to. I know as a hunter I get greater satisfaction from donating to a family personally. Its not a truckload but I know it helps the couple of families that I give it to.

Seems to be a consensus of this forum to remove the late antler less season. Are most of you guys concerned with shed bucks being shot or with more does being taken?

Seems to be a consensus of this forum to remove the late antler less season. Are most of you guys concerned with shed bucks being shot or with more does being taken?

I think its both, doe numbers are rapidly dropping and on top of that, shed bucks are being shot by guys not looking before they shoot.

1. All seasons end on december 31
2. 1 doe tag per season ( 1 for bow, 1 for gun season of choice)
3. Bring CRP program back
4. Crack down on poachers ( More COs and more patroling from them)
5. Take out late antlerless seasons

The CRP program never went away. Why take $75/acre from the government, when a guy from a county over trying to farm every inch of dirt in the state will pay you $300/acre?

We have 65 acres or so of CRP on our farm, been in it for 20 years, better than half of it will be coming out this fall to farm for next year. The extreme HEL will be getting signed up again though. Why not take advantage of the high crop prices/land rents? Can't blame the landowner. I do have to say though, our CRP isn't much for cover, the closest timber is 3-400 yards away.

If corn prices fall back to $3/bu, and rent prices follow suit back to early 2000's prices, you can bet a lot of marginal ground will get signed back up for CRP...

The CRP program never went away. Why take $75/acre from the government, when a guy from a county over trying to farm every inch of dirt in the state will pay you $300/acre?

We have 65 acres or so of CRP on our farm, been in it for 20 years, better than half of it will be coming out this fall to farm for next year. The extreme HEL will be getting signed up again though. Why not take advantage of the high crop prices/land rents? Can't blame the landowner. I do have to say though, our CRP isn't much for cover, the closest timber is 3-400 yards away.

If corn prices fall back to $3/bu, and rent prices follow suit back to early 2000's prices, you can bet a lot of marginal ground will get signed back up for CRP...

Christ, I hope so.

Top Bottom