Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In Case You Havn't Heard...

Not as pretty as the Hansen buck, but awesome deer regardless. For some reason I don't want to see the record broke unless it's with archery tackle!

Turns out, one of the bullets from his .30-30 had smashed into and passed completely through the beam, taking a chip of antler with it and exposing the mottled gray antler beneath the surface. The tug of war, however short and one-sided, was enough to break the remainder.
so in other words he was just spraying bullets at a running deer. What a horrible shot. And a repaired rack should not be allowed into the record books thats my 2 cents

Yes,...Milo shot it in the antler,..luckily he never shot it off. It was a poorly executed follow up shot to a buck he had knocked down. Heaven forbid someone make a poor shot with a gun. Not a WR in your eyes? I guess that confuses me.

Can't see it happening, but who knows. I also don't think something put back together should qualify.

I am notjust saying that b/c SK currently has the record either. However, I don't know why everyone seems so eager to have the current wr dethroned..maybe people don't like the thought of the wr being held by some farmer (regular joe) who did and still does to this day, gets together with friends and family for deer drives on his property and other property they have permission for. In my eyes, i like the WR being held by an "old world of deer hunting" hunter.

I thought repaired racks were excluded, but from the B&C website, looks like it is a judgment call.
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_policies.asp?area=bgRecords#damaged

DAMAGED AND/OR REPAIRED TROPHIES
Prior to January 1, 1980, the Club did not accept any repaired trophies for the records books. After that date, however, the Records Committee agreed to accept repaired trophies for the records books on a case by case basis. Trophies that have been repaired can be accepted by the Records Committee if the owner or the Official Measurer identifies the repair, and if the repair is made with original horn or antler material. The Committee still reserves the right to reject any repaired trophy, at the Committee’s discretion. When scoring any trophies that have been repaired, no portion of the repaired material can be included in any measurement nor can any allowance be made for lost material. For example, measurements of repaired points or main beams can only be taken to the point of the break.

i read the same thing as you on b and c web sight.it says that had not been updated since 2000.i had heard that a broken tine buck could be entered in b and c as long as you have the broken tine ,so i asked a official scorer that was green scoring my deer last week.he told me as long as it could only fit together one way, that they do accept it.i have a north american whitetail magazine with a article about a big buck shot that had his main beam broke off at the end,someone 2 miles away found the broken tine,it was only 4 inches long.it was a perfect match.it states right in the article about the boone and crocket allowing it.he actually gained 8 inches on his net score.i heard they changed it about 3 years ago

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the case you've made saskguy. I'd still like to see it broke with archery tackle, but I like your stance.

i emailed b & c and they said shed antler bucks and deer with the skullplate broke can not be entered.then i asked them about broken tines and they sent me the same thing jbronc posted.so it will be up to the scorer.

Last edited:
Sask, I have no problem with Mr. Hansen or the record being from Canada. I just don't like the deer. Probably because it gets it's 213 inches from a 6x6 frame. Unlike the Jordan or Breen that are 5x5's.
JMO

I think some of you guys are confused about which scoring system has recently made changes. The article only mentions BTR, no mention was ever made about B&C. BTR is the Buckmasters system.

Can't see it happening, but who knows. I also don't think something put back together should qualify.

I am notjust saying that b/c SK currently has the record either. However, I don't know why everyone seems so eager to have the current wr dethroned..maybe people don't like the thought of the wr being held by some farmer (regular joe) who did and still does to this day, gets together with friends and family for deer drives on his property and other property they have permission for. In my eyes, i like the WR being held by an "old world of deer hunting" hunter.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Milo and his crew gun this deer down with one of them shooting the deer in the antler? Not a WR story in my eyes. I would also like to see this record held by a bow hunter.

Well, you're wrong and right at the same time. Milo and his "crew" pushed bush (deer drive to you U.S guys) It was shot at by more than himself. He shot it and also shot it in the antler with a follow up shot to a buck he had put on the ground. He's very fortunate he never shot it off.

I guess the WR story needs to be some dude hunting solo and hunitng a deer he's passed up numerous times on his managed property is the only kind of story some people want to read. It is what it is,... the story of how the WR was taken. So what if it was taken by someone who hunted and still does to this day, more for the camraderie with his fellow hunters than any other reason?

Good fortune smiled and he has ridden it indeed. We all would. What exactly is a WR story?

The story of the Hanson buck is one I can more closely relate to than the hunting of an idividual deer by an individual person on a property only accessible to the person/people that purchased it to grow and hunt deer.

Last edited:
Well, you're wong and right at the same time. Milo and his "crew" pushed bush (deer drive to you U.S guys) It was shot at by more than him. He shot it and also shot it in the antler with a follow up shot to a buck he had put on the ground. He's very fortunate he never shot it off.

I guess the WR story needs to be some dude hunitng solo and hunitng a deer he's passed up numerous times on his managed property is the only kind of story some people want to read. It is what it is, the story of how the WR was taken. So what if it was taken by someone who hunted and still does to this day, more for the camraderie with his fellow hunters than any other reason.

Good fortune smiled,..he has ridden it indeed. We all would. What exactly is a WR story? The story of the Hanson buck is one I can more closely relate to than the hunting of an idividual deer by an individual person on a property only accessible to the person/people that purchased it to grow and hunt deer.

Party hunting is illegal in ND and I think it should be everywhere. I feel that 2 people should never be shooting at the same animal. I don't consider that hunting, more shooting then hunting!! I also don't care for deer drives very much. Takes little skills whatsoever to push deer and throw bullets at them. Takes a lot more skill to outsmart a deer then it does to push them to a bunch of guys with guns. You don't see much of that anymore because a lot of deer get wounded by people taking running shots and landowners don't like pushing all the deer off their land. I grew up doing deer drives when I was young....I haven't done one in over 12 years and don't miss it one bit.

My family does own land, but it is not managed in anyway.....it is farmed. The land is meant to produce crops, not produce big bucks.

I could care less if someone hunted the WR for 10 years and I would prefer it not to come from some managed farm. But one thing for sure, is I don't like the idea of a bunch of guys throwing bullets at it just trying to get the thing down.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Party hunting". When I hear that term I think of Iowa's law as I know it. Here you cannot party hunt in that respect. Any person participating must have a valid license and tag. Shoot one,..tag it, you're done. It doesn't matter how many people you're with.

Anyways, that was just for clarification of one place to another. Whether a person likes it or not, deer drives are common many places in N.A. "Pushing Bush" is very common in SK where landowners have huge acreage amounts and permission is so easy to acqire. (especially when you live and farm in a rural area like Hanson does) I don't do it, but I don't begrudge anyone that does, we all get enjoyment out of different aspects of the "hunt". Like you, it's been about 12 yrs since I was invloved in a drive. The last one I was invloved in took place about 5 miles from where the current WR went down and I was hunitng with people who know Milo Hanson. I have sincefound personal enjoyment other ways.

I think you assume that the hunt involved a bunch of guys all spraying bullets at a WR deer when in reality it was some drivers, some standers, having assigned jobs, taking turns at positions as any well organized deer drive would appear and slowly filling tags while on the search for a "big deer" they had seen, not a wr. Heck the head lay in an unlocked farm shop on his property for days upon being taken, for anyone to stop in and look at and the thought of meausring it didn't occer for 6 days. If you assume it was anything more than a deer drive that turned out extremely lucky for one man then you've been sucked in somewhere by some nonsense that has been discussed in the "Southern Iowa Giant" thread.

Any sort of story I can find online about the taking of the Jordan Buck show him hunting with a friend, them killing a doe, him continuing to hunt while the friend hauled it to the farm. In the words of the writer who supposedly interviewed Jordan. "The buck jumped up..Jordan emptied his rifle. The Buck was hit but kept running. Jordan followed the tracks and eventually caught up to the deer on the banks of the Yellow River. With one bullet left he fired the final shot." Is that a WR story?

There is no law written anywhere that the WR whitetail has to be taken with skill. Yes it takes more skill to outsmart a deer but Hanson has never claimed to have outsmarted his, just got lucky right place right time. Kind of like the Jordan buck, or the Rath buck, that was show on a 4 man drive. I could also mention the monster Wayne Bills buck, some buddies took him to the woods for a deer drive and it was the first deer he ever shot..skill or luck? Larry Raveling's Iowa giant was shot on a drive...and lucky for him it was drive executed after another guy in the group had missed the deer. Iowa killed some giants last yr, that 260 something NAW cover buck was on a drive, so was another mega giant from there. I could go on and on but I won't.

This sport we all love took it's roots from somewhere, many places and people still hunt the way that was common back in the day of "making meat" and it will continue to be that way I am sure.

Sorry for the hijack Dan.

Last edited:
No one ever said there needed to be a law written for the way the WR buck was taken.

Most of us would just like to see a dedicated hunter take the next WR. I would especially like it to be a bow hunter myself, but that is just me.

Most people I know who do deer drives want to shoot a big buck and they want to shoot it in one day.......who would want to shoot your deer on the first day of season? Not me, I like to hunt before I fill my tag. I have a sour taste for deer drives and road hunters as most I know are slobs. I am not saying everyone who does this is a slob, just the people I know. Most go out with the single goal of shooting a big buck and they don't care how they get it as long as they can haul it back to the bar and have bragging rights.

I like to see dedicated hunters succeed!

..maybe people don't like the thought of the wr being held by some farmer (regular joe) who did and still does to this day, gets together with friends and family for deer drives on his property and other property they have permission for. In my eyes, i like the WR being held by an "old world of deer hunting" hunter.

I'm with you on this. I always enjoyed bow hunting. I enjoy hunting with friends. And I enjoy hunting solo with a muzzleloader. Guess I'm not worthy after 40+ years.

I like to see dedicated hunters succeed!

As do I. But what does dedicated mean? I consider myself dedicated. I put in a considerable amount of time. However I am fortunate to be able to so and have chosen to. Does this make me more deserving of a WR than other people who also enjoy hunting deer hunting but choose not to devote as much of their life to it as I? I would feel that it most certainly does not.

Most people I know who do deer drives want to shoot a big buck and they want to shoot it in one day.......who would want to shoot your deer on the first day of season

I hunted a particular deer for 3 yrs . When the first day of the 04 season rolled around and he walked out, there wasn't a chance I wasn't tagging out on the very first day of hunting. Shame on me.

Like I said, I don't believe the deer in ? b/w you and I nacho, is the most impressive typical ever shot. However, as the current scoring system is based, it is the wr and it was shot by a farmer on a deer drive. It doesn't have to be a "world record story".

I don't really care when or where the next wr comes from but truthfully, I'd way rather it come from some guy who was the lucky trigger man on a drive than someone who has 5000 acres locked up and would be liable to have some chronies of his on a site such as this, badmouthing some guy that killed a buck they were hoping to kill after passing on him time and time again while it feasted on a wildlife buffet.

I must admit guys, I shoot a world record every night as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep as well as many slow days on stand. I call him Ole George. He is a 5x5 with a 28 inch spread, 32 inch beams, 50+ inches of mass, 15 inch brows, 16.5 inch g2s, 18.25 g3s and 14.75 inch G4s. Some days I shoot him with a bow, other days I shoot him with a gun. I never do shoot him on a deer drive though. Don't hate me for it but good lord he is huge!!!! I am just an average Joe guy that likes to hunt public ground :)

As long as the next world record isn't poached, I will be happy with whoever shoots it as long as they are having fun and hunting how they like to hunt.

Top Bottom