Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from 6,00

That didn't take long.
doah.gif

They have tried for years to get that thru with no success.Have you heard anything on the price of the nons going up again.

[ QUOTE ]
They have tried for years to get that thru with no success.Have you heard anything on the price of the nons going up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing on any bills as of today, but I think they have a week more to submit bills for this year.
It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the new bills or they will be laws before you now about them

When they update the new H & S Natural Resource Committees, will have better idea what to expect.If legislation never leaves committee much easier to control.

dont know how i feel about this

More out of state hunters mean more money for our state,

but less deer for me to shoot.....
i guess i dont really shoot deer anyway
i just think about it a lot
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ya better put the axe 2 this because Dor and Benny will eradicate the bucks in Zone X( if we get drawn on a more regular basis).

IMHO, leave it the way it is and lets quit arguing about it.
evil.gif

I really wonder how much this will really effect hunting? For the most part, Iowa is alot more private than it is public. with my dad being an out-of-stater, this may give him more of a chance to draw for a tag. But I do understand the concern, everyone has a friend out of state that would love to hunt Iowa. With the price of the tags, and not having much public ground, that will detour alot of hunters to Missouri, where there is thousands upon thousands of acres of public land and a much, much cheaper tag.

I think you'll see more and more out of state outfitters. That is what is happening in Illinois. We went from a from a rock solid top of 12,000 to 18 or 20,000 this year. Once they start raising it they have a hard time capping it.

Re: Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from

We need to be vigilant IMO. No compromise on our parts. Their entire argument for increasing NR tags is completely unfounded on logic. They want to accomplish two things:
<ul type="square"> [*]Reduce the deer population [*]Increase the bottomline [/list]Trouble is, increasing the number of NR tags will undermine both of these goals in the longrun. More NRs means less access for resident hunters &gt;&gt;&gt; Less access for resident hunters ultimately will diminish the quality of hunting for everyone, and IMO would result in fewer resident tags purchased in the years ahead - screwing their precious bottomline. NRs don't come to Iowa to shoot does &gt;&gt;&gt; More NRs means more doe refuges as they buy/lease land away from residents.

What we need to do is to make a concerted effort right now to contact our state reps. Email, phone and hand written letters to drive home the point that its a terrible idea for them and for us to mess with the status quo. Heck, they haven't even given the HUSH program a chance yet.

Unfortunately this issue will continue to be a thorn in our side each and every year for all of eternity. We need to protect and preserve our hunting future. Please consider joining the IBA, and contacting your State Reps asap.

NO NEW TAGS. RETAIN THE STATUS QUO.

Here we go again. I'm staying off the forum the month of January
smirk.gif

they want to raise tag number to 9000, this year. when number don't show that this raise improved deer numbers, they will want to jump it to 12000. this jump won't improve herd numbers, so they will want to sell NR tags at wallymart, to who ever wants one. if we give in on this, they will continue to take, and take.

the thing that i find amusing, is that last year, iowa hunters (and the 6000 NR's that hunted here) got a big pat on the back from the DNR for making a big reduction in deer numbers. so if we are doing such an outstanding job, why raise the quota?

money, thats why. how about propper money management, and a decent budget to use the money that comes in, instead of always trying to take more and more.

I'm BACK!! Here we go again!! Keep Non-residents OUT!!! Also Quit with you LATE doe seasons!! GOOD LUCK!!

As a long-time Iowa NR hunter (who has been denied the past 2 years btw) and loves hunting out there more than almost anything... I still disagree with increasing the number of tags alloted.

If you really want to decrease the numbers of deer, kill more does....it's that simple. For both today's numbers and more importantly, the futures.

And, do it INTELLIGENTLY...don't just make it mandatory for a NR to buy the damn doe tags, (it doesn't mean they will use them)...make it mandatory also for the RESIDENTS (who are always the first to cry "foul" that the NR's aren't doing their part to help the deer herds because they are only coming to Iowa to shoot Big Bucks) to have to BUY &amp; USE them as well.

I believe, the "Earn-a-Buck" program is probably the best thing so far to help control the population while still maintaining the quality of your bucks.

Don't fool yourselves, there isn't anyone reading this that doesn't want to take a trophy buck, and there is nothing wrong with that, but taking at least one doe FIRST is more important as a management tool for the FUTURE of your herd and that includes your trophies (a balanced buck-doe ratio means healthier, bigger deer and a much more intense rut which equals a LOT better hunting) and rarely will it cost you a chance at missing an opportunity at the biggest buck of your life.... especially if you don't set-up for him there in the first place!!

Too many hunters hold off on shooting a doe until after they've killed their buck, (which may not even happen) and find themselves hunting less concentrated (later in the season) and much warier, pressured animals. Killing a mature doe is actually HARDER than a buck if we are really put to the test and honest with ourselves. Killing that one mandatory doe at the first opportunity accomplishes not only our management goal, but it builds your confidence, puts some meat in the freezer and takes that pressure off, and perhaps as another "earned" bonus creates one more reason for that buck to have to be on his feet and looking for love in November. Ya gotta love that!

You can raise the tags to whatever, jack up the price til my wallet bleeds, but if the majority of the hunters, (both Resident and NR) continue hunting for the Trophy Bucks and the does are not being harvested...you won't be seeing all the interest in Iowa in a few years you're seeing now by the NR's, Outfitters, the Governor's Tag's "Holier than all of us" celeb list, and even the cream of the Iowa resident trophy hunters.

Management takes common sense, not money. Perhaps the biggest problem we are all facing today everywhere is that common sense is so damn rare, it's PRICELESS!

This is, my 1st and last post on this subject. It's been one of THOSE days, I guess. Thanks for reading this far if you did.

Good hunting, I hope you all kill the biggest DOE of your lives this season,

....before the Buck of your dreams!
waytogo.gif

Stickbow, that was a great post
waytogo.gif

I have no say really because I hunt on ground that is owned by a out of stater.

I thought I was going to loose the ground this year because he finally drew a tag after 4 yrs of trying and he owns the ground
shocked.gif

When I found out he drew I was pretty upset because I know the type of hunter he is, trophy or nothing, but instead of gripping I sat down with him drew up a plan, hung a couple stands for him and put a management plan in place for the farm. (None has been in place last 4 yrs I have hunted it)

Low and behold Im the game manager for his 600 acres. I watch out for his ground while he is not here and he lets me hunt it and manage it to his liking and mine.
He cant get back here and shoot the does he wants and I have people who that is all the want is meat in the freezer.
It is a win ,win for both of us and others that I feel confident in, in maintaining my management practices.

So if they raise it and more out of staters buy ground, dont work against them if you are neighbors with them, work with them, could work out to both of your benefit.

Steve

Steve, that last sentence in your post is right on. Every n/r land owner would like to have a resident he could trust. Don't hate him for owning some land but make a new friend instead. Earn their trust, your access to good hunting land could be great.

Awesome, Steve! If more guys would use their heads instead of just their mouths, many more might find themselves in a similar "dream" scenario!

Kudo's to you,
applause.gif
...I hope you are rewarded "monstrously" for your efforts! Good luck with it!

Top Bottom