Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters Association

I understand that there are challenges.

I think that maybe you should look at this from another view... regional banquets would provide growth in numbers and dollars which in turn would create self sufficient regional chapters that could organize and run their own regional banquet each year. Regional banquets would create "help" and "numbers."

"Maybe in the future we can grow enough to allow it?" The regional banquets are exactly what would create growth!

So it would suck for the first year when the IBA board has to organize multiple regional banquets, but after that they would take off by themselves.

Just my thoughts. I want the IBA to thrive and have a strong voice regarding deer hunting in our state. The IBA needs $$$ and numbers.

This is a way to do just that.

We are always on the lookout for good Area Reps ( a position we already offer - they are extremely helpful)
Are you volunteering to help?

We are always on the lookout for good Area Reps ( a position we already offer - they are extremely helpful)
Are you volunteering to help?

No I'm just giving you an idea would increase the membership greatly.

Whitetails Unlimited hosts 20+/- banquets in Iowa this year. Each banquet probably has 200 people attending. The base ticket is $40. Many people spend $100. Some spend 100's of dollars.

Each person, by attending becomes a member of WU. That's 4000 members.

Honest question, what is the IBA's current membership number?

Could the IBA grow with a regional banquet system? Yes. But comparing the IBA to WU, NWTF, PF banquets, etc is not apples to apples. These groups have national, state, regional, and local/county committees to put these banquets on. They also have full time employees that help make sure those banquets are a success. Those groups have banquet kits and materials to help make each event successful.

The IBA is and will continue to do it's best to provide a fun and exciting banquet format. If the bowhunters in Iowa can make one event successful, then there is the opportunity to hold multiple events.

Please keep the feedback coming.

Join your local 100% archery club. Get involved with local people and become an IBA member at the same time.

There is no good reason to not be a member if you are a bow hunter. The benefits have been covered very well here and we need to encourage membership for bow hunting's future.

Great thread. I've been a member in the past, but it was difficult to "feel" the value. I don't recall even receiving a renewal form, but I did get a sticker and some periodic magazines/newsletters. The content, from what I recall, was pretty decent.

All that said, I"m glad to hear of the new updates. A user-friendly (self-service) style website would be a step in the right direction. Also the other changes sound promising, enough so, that I will renew/update my membership.

Yes it is a great thread I joined last year and have only received a sticker no emails if I received anything else I don't remember it. Seams like I was a good buddy till i paid my fee............

x2 on a great thread. Some great reasons presented on why to be a member and some great ideas. It really is about the bigger picture and not "whats in it for me". That should be true for most any organization whether its the IBA, NRA, WTF, or you local church group. Theres always gonna be differences in opinions on policies and public matters but that isn't a reason not to belong. It has to be about the big picture. I could on and on but I won't.

To answer singlecoyotes question on memberships. We currently have 1002 members. Pretty small # when you consider there were 54,000 bowhunters last year. also single coyotes idea of multiple banquets as been discussed amongst the board in the past. Like sheep said I'm just not sure it possible. Maybe down the road it will be. Its a good suggestion and hopefully someday could be a reality.

Sligh
Thanks for your comments as well. Just another little tidbit of info for ya. At last years open forum meeting there were approximately 40 people there. Of that 40 I counted 2 (including myself, unless I missed someone) that were under the age of 40.

Membership issues and mailings I know have been an issue. We are doing our best to work these out. Updating our system of record keeping will be a big help. Sometimes there is human error sometimes there is record transferring errors from us to printer, sometimes its our outdated system. I would ask if this is the case or has been the case in the past to not let that deter you. Simply pick up the phone and give me a call and will do my best get it straightened out. 641-780-5068. I have only been treasure since aug and am working hard to get it up to date.

The only thing I'll ad is I wish they would send a renewal notice either by email or mail. I've joined twice but never know when to renew and it ends up running out.

I just registered for the banquet and am excited to go and see what it is all about. Sure seems to me that if there has been issues in the past (based on some of the posts I have read, not my experiences) reading this forum shows that there are members of the board who are trying to straighten things out and get IBA on the right track. I can honestly say that this forum is the first time that I can remember hearing about IBA, so thank you to those who brought it up!

hillrunner I know that a renewal form is sent out the month your membership is due and then again the next month. That has been how it was done in the past and how I am currently doing it. Again i know it has not always been a 100% accurate..and i hope once I get a new program up and running it will be a huge improvement and possibly be able to send a reminder both mail and email.

I would also like to say that I appreciate the helpful, friendly tone of this thread. Just a thought on the idea of having more, as opposed to one, IBA banquets distributed across the state...

As one that has been personally involved in planning and conducting numerous events like this over the years, yes, it is normally very time consuming and I certainly understand the notion of having one event per year in the interest of not burning out the faithful few volunteers that do exist.

(Preface - I am NOT referring to anyone specifically here, just sharing some perspective based on many similar experiences.) There are usually many more "ideas" and suggestions out there than what there are volunteers to actually do said ideas. :D

Having said that...it does seem to me that the IBA would benefit by "branching out" more and having some satellite dinners. To keep the volunteer effort factor low...have one main dinner that is more involved and so forth and then have the other 3 or 4 or however many dinners be very low key affairs where most all of the work can be handled by a caterer.

Sure, it will cost a few bucks more per plate to do it that way, but seriously, nearly all of us have been conditioned to pay $1000+ for bows, zillions for land, seed, boots, etc, kabillions for broadheads...per piece! :D So what is another $5 or $10 on a meal one time per year?

If a dad wants to bring some kids...knock the price down a little more to make it doable for them, etc. But my main point is that I think you could conceivably have several more banquets that would draw more members and $$'s, without recreating the annual grand gala, etc.

It sounds like several other good ideas are in the works and that there are very committed souls on the BOD that are listening and acting, and that is super.

Boyd, I think the website update and social media venues would be a great investment. But they are only as good as the content and how current the updates are. A few months ago I went to the website to see when the banquet was and couldn't find anything current I did find information for last years. I then assumed it was the same weekend as the Deer Classic and ended up scheduling something else instead regretfully.. I know I could of contacted you, etc. but this is just an example of the benefits. I would also prefer the newsletter in an electronic format but that's just me paper and I don't get along. No matter what I will be a life long memory and will support the IBA anyway I can.

Yep. Competing with a lot of different activities going on every day. Got to get in front of (phones) the younger guys (future) you got to update the stuff daily. Not fun, but needs to happen if you want to compete for their time and that is what you're doing now.

Great thread.

The IBA's main banquet competition over the past few years has been a combination of a comfy chair, a remote and hunting shows on TV or DVD/Bluray. Who wants to pay to come listen to a speaker when they can watch the same speaker on TV for the cost of cable or the DVD/Bluray? The beer sure is cheaper. Not to mention when the speakers TV shows get more popular their speaking fee is out of the IBA's budget, but you have to spend money to make money.

As others have said, we could go on forever about how the IBA has been instrumental in establishing and maintaining Iowa's rich bow hunting heritage. But that is the past and we look forward to leading the way into the future for the bow hunters of Iowa.

To believe in the future is to believe in the IBA. If you believe in the future become an IBA member today. The next several generations of bow hunters will thank you.

To those of you that are IBA members a huge thank you. You have made a difference.

One more insight in regards to electronic media. In the past most members signed up using our standard paper form. We are bow hunters not calligraphers and as such some of us have lousy penmanship. When it comes to reading email addresses on those forms, some are anybody's best guess. We try to make sure we can read the email and all the registration information before the member leaves the booth. What I'd like to see is a couple or three computers at the Classic and Fall Festival so we can input the members data immediately and send them a conformation email that they can get immediately on their smart phone. Yes Randy, you'd have to up grade.

Proud to be a longtime member and I commend you guys for all the hard work. Thanks for representing the sport and state I love in a positive way. Wish I had millions to donate. Maybe someday ;)

It’s been a while since I’ve been on IW. I’m sure many of you have said good riddance. With 10 grandkids involved in every sport and activity known to mankind there isn’t a lot of free time. What free time after family is spent on IBA and Iowa Conservation Alliance matters.

I’ve been involved with the IBA for 20 years, 15years as a board member. Six of those years I Proudly served as president. The only reason anyone could call this group a good old boys club or a bunch of elitist is because no one is willing to step up and make suggestions or get involved. The board has begged for new blood, new ideas. When new people do come along and bring in fresh ideas, trust me they are accepted and most times their ideas are put in place. If it’s good for bowhunting in Iowa we will support it.

Many of the current board members don’t understand Face Book, Twitter, Instagram, there are several flip phones at a board meeting and I’ll admit I’m one of them. Help us move into the 21th century, don’t sit on the sidelines, take a stand, get involved. No one is asking you to take on a leadership role (we wouldn’t turn you down)

I am a past IBA member for several years, not once did I attend a shoot or meeting although I did have a desire just not the time. I serve on various boards and Randy is absolutely correct when he says only a few are willing to step up and serve. Of the boards I serve its like pulling teeth to get people to help out but many are willing to criticize how things are done. Ive not once regretted any of the boards I've served on and I'm guessing this group would be just the same. Only difference between my volunteer activities and the IBA is that bow hunting is for us its our hobby its one of the fun/enjoyable things in life so I'm guessing taking an active role in something you enjoy could be very satisfying. Just a few thoughts, Mike

Thanks for all your service Randy!

Some questions for you board members.

I'm curious why you have decided to have the banquet on a different weekend than the deer classic? Seems like a lot of people who live further from Des Moines wouldn't want to make the drive two weekends in a row. Some of us with young kids find it hard to get away two weekends in a row even without having to drive very far.

Another observation, why not sell tickets to the banquet at the deer classic? I would think you could add quite a few more tables if tickets were available at the Classic and at the event site. I realize you need some idea of a head count for catering but I think you could make a reasonable estimate of additional tickets you could sell.

Your IBA board is only acting upon what our members tell us to do and what is best for bowhunting now and in the future for the state of Iowa. The amount of money we spend on Youth scholarships, kids camps, NASP and such things takes up a giant portion of our total budget. We would like to spend more to help more of these groups but we are limited by declining membership and lack of participation. If people don't join the IBA, attend IBA shoots or come to our fundraising banquet we will not be able to continue to do what we do.

Whether you have a positive idea to make the IBA better or a negative complaint about current happenings, Bring it to an IBA board member and it will be presented and discussed, guaranteed. The only way the IBA can get better and grow is with all of your help.

We are working hard on bettering everything we do.
-Spring Banquet is currently being revamped and relocated in following years due to input from members.
- New speaker ideas for the banquet are in the works and we have some real doozies we are working on.
- The IBA Shootout 3d series is being revamped due to popular demand.
- NASP State 3D shootout is in the works sponsored by IBA.
- Website rebuild is being researched along with bettering our exposure on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media outlets as that is the current best way to communicate with our younger supporters.
- Anything else you would like to see?

Another giant chunk of our budget is spent on Lobbying to protect bowhunting in Iowa not only in the present but in the future. I have small children that I would love to see bowhunt when they grow up and I can safely say that without the IBA, those opportunities would disappear. Do you want your kids or grandkids to be able to hunt in Iowa with a bow? Join the IBA and participate.

If you want to guarantee the failure of bowhunting in Iowa, the best way to do that is to watch from the sidelines, complain about everything and ask "whats in it for me?'
Want to help guarantee the future of bowhunting in Iowa? Join the IBA and PARTICIPATE - help us double our membership and quadruple our chances for a awesome future.

Care to give some specifics on how the banquet is being revamped and where it is being relocated?

Top Bottom