Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees......

how about every bike on public road has to buy a little "license plate" for, say, $5? any bike seen on a public highway without this plate, gets fined $50. the fees alone from RAGBRAI would bring in quite a chunk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about every bike on public road has to buy a little "license plate" for, say, $5? any bike seen on a public highway without this plate, gets fined $50. the fees alone from RAGBRAI would bring in quite a chunk </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The DNR has tried for resident license increases over the past several years but keep getting turned down by legislators who balk with the comment "it's a tax". They are wrong--it is not a tax--it's not a user fee. If you don't use it, it doesn't cost you a thing</div></div>

it sure as heck isn't a user fee. there are PLENTY of "users" out there, enjoying the natural recourses that aren't paying a dime.

and as far as doe tags, any icrease there, and i am probably done buying them </div></div>

I believe he is talking about hunting and fishing licenses...

If you don't go hunting or fishing, you don't pay which makes it a "user fee"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>By law license fees can only go to fund wildlife programs, the biologists who manage the programs, the conservation officers who enforce the laws and their related equipment.</span>
</div></div>

Unless I'm missing something we as "users" of a resource pay only for the services required to manage our fish and game.

If anyone in the IDNR is allocating our license dollars to anything other then the law requires, that seems like a risky situation.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I'm missing something we as "users" of a resource pay only for the services required to manage our fish and game. </div></div>

We fund more than that. Off the top of my head I know we fund the wildlife diversity program in Iowa, which deals with non-game species, such as song birds, amphibians, mussels, etc. etc.

Where does the money come from to fund the state parks? I'm guessing thats from us as well.

We pretty much fund the IDNR.

I was shocked when I first moved out here and found out the State Parks were free to use. In Mich they have always been pay to use. The Manager of Big Creek St. Park in Polk County told me, the road counters showed 30,00 visitors a month coming through. They could fund something!

seems like a bunch crap ! tax bike trails nature path`s ect.. they just changed my plumbing license from local to state, went from $70.00 to $250.00 plus i had to take refresher coarse for another $75.00 so i could be compliant with state code`s. seem kind of costly when you only have to know 3 thing`s poop runs down hill , payday on Friday, don`t lick you fingers.

Yeah, I've done some research on this in the past and found that many states already charge a set fee for users of their state parks.

Out west there were birding fees established in certain state parks. I thought this was a great idea. We have so many more ways to generate revenue which aren't being utilized. There are have been some great ideas thrown out there in other posts that should be looked at by our DNR.

Even if people had to pay an annual fee of $5-$10 to use state parks, look at how much revenue that would generate. Just make state park users to go to Wal-Mart and purchase a state park pass (like our hunting license) which is valid for a year. The ELSI machine would print it off just like a hunting license.

As I recall they tried the user fee for state parks several years ago. You had to buy a decal for your windshield. Don't remember how much it was or where you had to go to buy one. I don't remember why they stopped either. If you think our COs and park rangers are busy now, wait till they have to stand in a booth taking money and checking for decals. I don't know how much it would cost to put in toll booths at all the state parks, and what about the ones that have several enterances?

I'd like an exsize tax on bikes. I'm thinkin they are getting a free ride. No pun intended. Who funded "Rails to Trails"?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sureshot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I'm missing something we as "users" of a resource pay only for the services required to manage our fish and game. </div></div>

We fund more than that. Off the top of my head I know we fund the wildlife diversity program in Iowa, which deals with non-game species, such as song birds, amphibians, mussels, etc. etc.

Where does the money come from to fund the state parks? I'm guessing thats from us as well.

We pretty much fund the IDNR.
</div></div>

Yes..his statment doesn't say "huntable wildlife"...only "wildlife programs"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By law license fees can only go to <span style='font-size: 14pt'>fund wildlife programs</span>, the biologists who manage the programs, the conservation officers who enforce the laws and their related equipment.
</div></div>

If we are in fact funding state parks while those users pay nothing then that is grossly unfair to all of us and the IDNR as well.

I haven't see that point stated for a fact so I'd like clarification first, but if true then that's a point that should be taken up with legislators rather then the IDNR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we are in fact funding state parks while those users pay nothing then that is grossly unfair to all of us and the IDNR as well. </div></div>

Yeah, you're 100% correct.

I dont know where the funding comes for state parks either. It would be interesting to see a break-down of where exactly our money from license sales and tags is being allocated.
WJS, can you help us out on that one?

I re-read the article in the DM Register...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"We understand these are difficult times, but the reality we are facing is that our hunters and anglers carry the majority of the conservation funding burden in the state, and we will need to increase the license fees to meet the rising cost of maintaining areas to hunt and fish," Herring said.
</div></div>

That part is clear but what isn't clear is our State Parks although the article mentions "hunters, anglers and campers"......

Now....I'm more then willing to carry my share of the load and then some but if I am shouldering the whole cost of running and maintaining our state parks while people do not pay a user fee...well I'm not a happer camper... (pun inteneded... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

If the DNR needs money maybe they can stop buying new trucks every year & lay off some state workers. Perhaps not the conservation officers, but if the DNR is operated as poorly as many other government agencies are i'm sure there are plenty of people sitting in a office down in the Wallace building that we could do without. Am I the only one who thinks the "Director of the Iowa DNR" should be an elected official who we can vote for or against at least every 4 years ? And has anyone else seen all the habitat they are destroying around Big Creek Lake/Park ? Why, and how much time and money did they waste to do it ? That being said I'm all for raising the fees on non residents.

It must cost a lot of money to keep that white plane in the air here around central Iowa all the time. I'm sure they have more than one plane, and if they didn't have to pay for them & the fuel and maintenance that go with them, they could probably lower license fees.

The article is somewhat misleading. The money from hunting, fishing and trapping licenses are protected constitutionally. Your license fees can only be spent on fish and wildlife management and enforcement. It does not get spent for parks and forestry operations.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your license fees can only be spent on fish and wildlife management and enforcement. </div></div>

That is very broad, and could be applied to so many areas in the DNR.

So, do park rangers at state parks fall under this category (enforcement)? Just wondering.....

I would doubt it. Their sleeves say "PARKS" and CO's sleeves say "LAW ENFORCEMENT".

But maaybe..

All I know is that the park ranger at Honey Creek is a PARKY or should I say HONKY. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be.

No, the parks and forestry bureau operate out of seperate bureau's. The funding for those bureaus comes from the state general fund, camping receipts or other grants. So normal functions for a park ranger or a forester do not come from hunting, fishing or trapping license fees.

The funding for fisheries, wildlife and law enforcement come from your license fees and from the federal excise taxes you pay on hunting and fishing equipment.

Re: iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I recall they tried the user fee for state parks several years ago. You had to buy a decal for your windshield. Don't remember how much it was </div></div>

Several years ago??? I'm thinking the late '70's /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif and the fee was ten dollars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't remember why they stopped either.</div></div>

Public outrage! I think some asked where their tax dollars were going and argued that hiking was "non-consumptive".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think our COs and park rangers are busy now, wait till they have to stand in a booth taking money and checking for decals. </div></div>

Forget the booth and just write out tickets for no decal. Easy as writing parking tickets and Iowa City sure makes a ton of cash off parking tickets. Set the fine high enough and you'll have good compliance or lots of ticket revenue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, it wasn't meant to be.

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>No, the parks and forestry bureau operate out of seperate bureau's. The funding for those bureaus comes from the state general fund, camping receipts or other grants. So normal functions for a park ranger or a forester do not come from hunting, fishing or trapping license fees.

The funding for fisheries, wildlife and law enforcement come from your license fees and from the federal excise taxes you pay on hunting and fishing equipment</span>.
</div></div>

I'm relieved to hear that information from you Willie! Thanks!

As I said before I don't mind (even though I'm only human and would rather not.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif ) paying my fair share to maintain Iowa's wildlife and fish resources. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom