Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees......

Ok I have asked this question before and I dont think I recieved an answer so I will ask again......

If the county you purchase your anterless tags in are completely sold out and you have 5 doe tags for ARCHERY only then why doesnt the DNR allow you to pay a $5 fee to switch your tags to a preferred gun season?? I know that I would transfer all 5 of my doe tags to late season muzzleloader and pay the $25 to do so. But now I will just eat 5 tags which could have given the DNR more money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lxshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But now I will just eat 5 tags which could have given the DNR more money. </div></div>

Why are you going to "eat" them? They will be valid next Monday?

I think the rationale behind not letting people "change" them is procrastination. People would buy licenses when they first become available, not hunt with them, change them into the next season and again figure that they will just switch them to the next season if they don't fill them. Comes the end of the final season and they have a pocket full of tags. If a county had a quota that sold out, then this person just possibly prevented someone who would have filled the tags from purchasing them. Just playing the Devil's advocate here.

What's your excuse?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Because esentially if they did that they would be giving you a license that you could use from Oct 1 clear through Jan 21. That would not be good for an already shrinking deer herd. Also if you allowed bow hunters to convert archery tags to gun seasons, you would have to allow gun hunters to convert to archery tags. All of this would creat to much confussion and not put any sence of urgency in the filling of your tags. You do still have time to hunt the late bow season, but I have to ask, how is it you ended up with that many unused doe tags? My guess is that you didn't see enough deer to fill them, and that is a big reason not to make the tags convertiable to gun tags.

Don't plan on taking the bow back out. The smokepole is coming out and hoping to fill my anysex tag. With the fields being as flooded as they were earlier this season it was a picky decision on when to shoot a doe. When its over a mile drag out through mud and gunk then it deters a guy from shooting one. Heard that from alot of other guys who didnt shoot does due to the same reason. I guess I just saw a way the DNR could make extra money and a way for hunters with left over tags to fill them.

Do we pay for bike trails? many people dont pay for usage of the same resources we pay for, I'll gladly pay more but make everyone pay some. the state of our parks compared to other states is horrible. some of my waterfowl hunting areas are completely unhuntable now because they have had no work done recently.

Bow maker,
im not saying i dont agree that the DNR has A DIFFICULT job, are you telling me that they need new vehicals every yr to do so? no , start trimming the fat,from the TOP down, wages, spending, ect, im tired of driving around state parks, seeing trucks pulling dozers, ect only to be PARKED in a public hunting drive doing nothing, ( lunch lasts more than two hrs)?you no what, put half of these guys behind a lawn mower, and a rake, instead of mowing every ditch insight, or clearing trees, ( FOR THEIR SO CALLED HABITAT WE DONT HAVE FOR PHEASANTS ECT,)WE MIGHT NOT HAVE A BAD WINTER KILL.If they wouldnt clear it , we would have it.I like the other guys post, if you dont tag out, trade your licence in for $5.00 , so you can keep hunting, they would be more likly to that than spend $27.00.Its a sad day when im at the local coffee shop, and hunters that cant afford the increase are talking that poaching will increase, these guys have lived off the land, and will take their chances on getting caught.(can you blame them)?

I think they could make more money if they raised the rate for a reserved camp site. I am so tired of pulling into a park and every site has a card in it on Tuesday saying the site is reserved for the weekend already. Double the fee is your too lazy to bring your camper out and fill the spot.

As for increased hunting prices, it's really the only hobby I have and don't really have any bad habits. I too would like to see them trim some fat. Everyone needs to step back and make adjustments at some point and time.

At least with deer you get a good amount of meat. It's hard to get $27 worth of meat out of a turkey.

you have $46.50 before you start, add $27.00 for every thing you hunt, 2 yurkey tags, two deer tags, , plus a bonus tag if you choose, thats $181.50, if they raise it 34 %. i can buy a lot of beef, gaurenteed(sp), dont get me wrong, i enjoy, hunting, but why keep pinching the middle man?economy is bad, so there answer is to raise lic fees on us. luckly , i have a job, but what about the others who have lost theirs? can they afford a 34% increase? ask them. These folks will be giving up enough to support their famlies, they might not be able to afford what they enjoy, tell these folkes you cant find a place to trim fat & see what they say.im a manager for a company that was told to cut costs, and after looking at it, i was able to trim alot, without sacrifycing jobs, they can to , if they (revisit their budget) respectfully,a sportsman, sticking up for the middle class family man.thats a $62.00 increase, for that 180.00.

ibowbigbucks Why would you make crap out of other peoples jobs!! My favorite part was when You said only to be parked in a public hunting area for 2 hours. Do you know why? Have you asked the guy who's doing the work? Nothing better then having a tax payers make crap out of a you for doing your job. Makes me feel good when I'm out fixing a tile when its 10 below because its the only time the ground is fit or plowing snow on Christmas. If you want to bitch about where the money goes..never mind I wont go there.

Bet your the same guy who didn't want a road tax increased but bitches when your road is rough.

dblmainbeam,
First, i wasnt jabbing at anyones job, everyone needs one , what you choose to do , is your business.( equipment operator id guess), i was voicing my concern about DNR vehicals sitting aside for two hrs on a trailer doing nothing!i like your comment about a taxpayer making crap out of a person doing their job, if sitting there for two hrs doing nothing is your job, where do i apply?why would i want to ask the guy doing nothing, why he is doing nothing, i already no the answer, its because he wants to do nothing!a few of the biggest taxed items are gas, beer, & ciggs,(retail increases) with all people still using those,im sure a chunk of those taxes go for road repair., and those have increased yearly.so i beleive you have already received your road tax increase.why is it always tax payers that have to bail out budgets that fall short?no, i wasnt the guy who bitched about rough roads, that was another taxpayer. Merry Christmas

no one can afford a 34% increase in licensing fees. I really believe if this happens there will be alot more illegal hunting going on. I only hunt deer, and this season we did'nt see the deer in our area as in the past,which leads me to believe the dnr needs to back off some of their tags anyway.

I just read an email my parents printed out while I'm home for Christmas and it sort of inspired me to come back on here and read what was said and contribute my own 2 cents.

As far as inflation goes, license fees should increase. Everything else increases(price of guns, shells, clothes, etc), so why shouldn't licenses? It's simple economics.

Anyways, this e-mail I read basically broke down the burden NR's will yet again have to pay, even though we've been suffering increases since 2000/2006.

But here's a stat many of you I think will find interesting. Every 5 years ISU does a study about land ownership that the state of Iowa puts into a report. This report found that non-resident ownership has increased to 21%(compared to 6% in 1982.) Over 50% of land in Iowa is owned by people over the age of 65. So once these people pass on, an even greater share of land will pass to non-residents. There is a distinct correlation between the increase in the deer population and non-resident land ownership. Why would any NR landowner want to shoot does when the tags cost $200 each? The only reason I shot 5 does this year(no bucks, I might add) in Iowa was because we had a couple of residents that hunt our farm that bought doe tags. The Iowa DNR supports adding more NR tags, by upping the quota to 12,000 tags. However, the legislature, prodded by certain groups(read:Iowa Bowhunter's Assoc.), keeps denying this. Why?

Lastly, I think you are all huge hypocrites with the Governor's Tag system. I see you all spewing hate upon NR's and how you don't want more NR's in the state. However, and this is straight from Mark Drury in Dream Season whatever #, the Iowa governor issues tags to people to "promote the state of Iowa and its hunting". So by issuing these tags for video guys to shoot big deer and making more NR's want to come to Iowa, aren't you shooting yourselves in the foot? And why should Blake Shelton or Miranda Lambert or Bill Jordan or Will Primos get a tag and Joe Schmo from Michigan or Colorado that at least OWNS land not get one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are all huge hypocrites with the Governor's Tag system. I see you all spewing hate upon NR's and how you don't want more NR's in the state. However, and this is straight from Mark Drury in Dream Season whatever #, the Iowa governor issues tags to people to "promote the state of Iowa and its hunting". So by issuing these tags for video guys to shoot big deer and making more NR's want to come to Iowa, aren't you shooting yourselves in the foot? And why should Blake Shelton or Miranda Lambert or Bill Jordan or Will Primos get a tag and Joe Schmo from Michigan or Colorado that at least OWNS land not get one?
</div></div>

Friend, I think your barking up the wrong tree! WE (A.K.A. resident hunters) do not embrace what the governor has done but it is something we have no say in with the exception being at the polls.

The Governor, the legislators and even some at the IDNR are only interested in money, not in insuring that resident hunters will have a place to hunt in the future.

We've been down this road and had/have this argument every year but any NR would be very naive to think we as residents will ever give up fighting for what little we have left.

Your comments I'm afraid only stir up unecessary ill will against other NR's who understand the importance of protecting a very limted resource.

On the subject of 2009 license fees...I paid $17.50 for my 2009 hunting license and $11.50 for my habitat fee. The prices went up, and that's that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Clarify for me, what is this limited resource you're talking about? Because it certainly isn't the deer herd.

And if it's land, I'm mystified. Unless things are drastically different, finding land to bow hunt in NE Iowa is fairly easy to find.

As far as creating any more ill will,I don't think it's possible to stir anymore ill will to NR's with members of the IBA. It's my impression the IBA treats anyone that doesn't agree with their agenda as hostile. I've really delved into this topic, talked with a lot of people in the state of Iowa about this. I'm not the village idiot by any means on this topic. I've found this whole anti-NR thing is fairly concentrated on the eastern side of the state as opposed to south and western Iowa. I really believe that as the budget becomes tighter and tighter, the IBA's grip on the legislature will loosen to the point the NR quota will be raised, probably to more than the 12,000 currently proposed. One question I have, if a few thousand more NR's get to come in, or if preference was given to NR landowners, how would you personally be affected?

I really want to go back to that Governor's Tag thing: the IBA has NO say whatsoever? you as voters can't contact the right people and say, "Hey I don't like what's going on"? Or is it that the NR trying to "steal" all of "your" land the easier target? You truly have nobody to blame but yourselves with this, letting your own DNR and governor whore your state out.

The longer I think about this, the more I realize it's a losing cause to fight the NR invasion. The deck is stacked against the cause. I said it here first: Within 7-10 years, the quota will be over the 12,000 mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is this limited resource you're talking about? </div></div>

The limited resource is a place to hunt!

Beyond that, I'll refrain from further comment because it's all and old and tired arguement.

If you wish to have a say in Iowa's game laws I suggest moving here and join forces with the rest of us. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The governors tag issue is one that has been disussed here many times by both residents and non residents. I personally don't agree with the repeat awarding to some individuals. I say one and done. Have 2 tags left for auction every year where high bidder wins, meeting a reserve or it goes to a make a wish foundation or some other type of charity. There are plenty of people making videos now, I would say there is alot of promotion going on by people that aren't receiving an favortism with a hand out tag.
As far as non residents coming in. I know that I appreciate being able to go to other states and hunt. I fill out the paperwork and wait for the system to work. Eventually I get to go on my hunt and am happy. I HAVE NEVER tried to tell a state in which I wanted to hunt that I need some type of preference. They had their rules and regulations set before I put in my application and have not tried to step in and tell the residents that I DESERVE to hunt there any time I wish. Even if I purchaseed ground and the rules were in place. I would have known what I was getting into, if I didn't then shame on me for not checking further into it.
Have some respect for the residents of the states you are wanting to go hunt. Nothing wrong with them wanting to keep some of the good things of the state to themselves.
Like it's been said before, If it's that important to you move to that state.

ibowhunt---reference your statement about the DNR getting new vehicles every year. If you mean that they purchase new vehicles every year the answer is--yes. If you mean that everyone gets a new vehicle every year the answer is absolutely--not.

Speaking from the law enforcement perspective we would get a new vehicle roughly every 4 years. It was totally dependent on the mileage. New vehicle orders were placed when we reached about 90,000. Granted people drive vehicles with a lot more miles that but not in a law enforcement environment. We put "hard" miles on those vehilces much more than the average person does with their vehilce. It's the nature of the job.

I know some parks section vehicles that are well over that. But they are not used (most of the time) to the extreme that we used ours.

So, the DNR does buy vehilces every year but employees do not get a new one every year.

KBNELSON
If you really have done your home work, you already know that people on this site and others have been railing against those Governor's tags for several years. Unless they would be directly benefited by more NR hunters, such as outfitters or maybe sporting outlets, there is not a person here who wants Iowa promoted. I wish that Mark Dury and all the others would never make another video about deer hunting in Iowa to further commercialize, for their own personal gain, our sport. I know that several people have contacted their State Senators and Representatives and have tried to stop this blatant begging for tourism dollars from NR deer hunters.

As to the question of how would I be affected , there are many ways all of which lead to downward spiraling hunting opportunities. Again if you had really looked into the issue before your post blasting us and the IBA you would already know that Iowa issued 15,142 NR deer licenses in the 2007-2008 hunting season. So if we allowed another 12,000 NR licenses taking that total to over 27,000 can you really be naive enough to think that it would not have an impact on our hunting? I believe that it is common knowledge that the bulk of these hunters would be concentrated in the NE and SE parts of the State where the supposedly higher populations of deer are. Over the last 10 years myself and other family members have lost literally thousands of acres of hunting land that has either been sold or leased to NR hunters or outfitters catering to NR hunters. That hurts me personally! Next because of the increase in NR landownership and especially rough land whose only real value is through hunting or recreational usage, land value have gone way up. The only advantage to me in that is if I want to sell my farm, and I don't. The disadvantage to me is that I can't buy any additional land because I simply can't afford it and neither can many resident hunters. With this rise in land values comes an increased appraisal value of my land translating into higher property taxes and school taxes. Next thing is that over the last 3 years I have had to ask 4 parties of NR hunters off my land and off the neighbors, which they did not have permission to hunt. I am certainly not saying that NRs are the only ones who trespass, but the percentage is much higher. I may see this a little more because I border a large tract of State public land and some people seem to ignore signs and fences.

I usually try to be a little more diplomatic on some of these issues, but for some reason the tone of your first 2 posts on here struck me wrong. It came across as a real attitude and that we are bad people for wanting to limit the NR influx. You said it seems to be more concentrated in Eastern Iowa, and if we add SE Iowa I would be more agreeable with you. Much of that, is I believe, due to what we have seen in Illinois when outfitters and NR started buying and leasing up much of the prim hunting and stories and videos featuring Pike County started popping up. I have friends that live in Ill and it has become very difficult to find places to deer hunt there and much more so in places where there are actually deer. With our current situation in Iowa with a rapidly declining deer herd and harvest success ratio matched with increasing numbers of hunters and an over harvest of does, is it any wonder that the resident hunters want to try to maintain the quality of hunting and access that we have had? I hate that our deer hunting has became a high dollar business, but good hunting and greed will always lead to this until the hunting goes to crap and the residents are left with the disastrous results. This is not just with deer hunting, just look at what happened with water fowl hunting along the Chesapeake Bay or duck hunting around Stuguard, or much of the "private" trout fishing in the west. People with money and power feel entitled to buy what ever they want and to heck with any one who can't "PAY TO PLAY" as many have stated is the case even in little ol Iowa.

KB, it is unfortunate you label the IBA as being anti non-resident, quite the contrary. We are very pro non-resident, we just believe the quota should not be raised. We hope every non-resident that wants to hunt in Iowa can have the opportunity at the current quota and draw process.

What the IBA is against are the consequences of an increase in non-resident tags and has already been very eloquently addressed by others, so I don’t feel the need to re-chew that piece of gristle.

Was this:

<span style="color: #FF0000">"Remember that "Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen" is not a membership driven organization. We rely on your generosity and donations to help support our initiative. Iowa has received a wake up call in 2008 and are more than aware that a sleeping dog has awaken. Help us keep our voice loud, help us make this initiative successful. Send your donation today."</span>

part of the E mail your parents received?

The ‘Bonker

Top Bottom