Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees......

teeroy

Life Member
34%!!!!!!

artcle is in today's des moines register

last years poor weather kept people away from state parks, and hunting and fishing licenses were way down.

as far as repairing the state parks, how about breaking out some chain gangs and putting the state's free-loadin prisoners to work?

we need to pass that sustainable funding legislation quickly.

This was in the Des Moines paper this morning.

34% increase sought in hunting, fishing fees
By PERRY BEEMAN • [email protected] • December 15, 2008

Read Comments(17)Recommend(1)Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up! Copyright 2008, Des Moines Register and Tribune Co.
State wildlife workers want to raise basic hunting and fishing license fees by 34 percent, in part because of lost revenues caused by last summer's widespread flooding.

"We had fewer people hunting, fishing and camping this year," said Ken Herring, the state's conservation and recreation administrator. "Our pheasant population was severely hit by the long winter and wet spring. We had parks closed during the peak camping season. It just was not a good year."

Herring said this year's drop in license purchases forced the state to cut the Conservation and Recreation Division's spending by 7 percent, and move to raise fees. Lawmakers would have to approve the increases, which most likely would take effect July 1.

Rumblings about the proposed hikes already have stirred debate on Internet chat boards and in meetings.

Tim Shaw, 45, of Muscatine said in an interview that he is finding it harder to get permission to hunt pheasants on private land - which accounts for most of Iowa's acreage - while license fees go up.

"This year has been a bust" because of poor pheasant populations after the floods, Shaw said. "I'm trying to get my boy interested in hunting, but if it's going to cost him a bunch of money he'll say, 'I don't need this.' "

Outdoors enthusiast Ellen Zaruba of Charlotte said she supports more state spending to build habitat that keeps pollution out of streams and to improve hunting.

"Instead of complaining about increasing amounts for license fees, habitat fees, tag fees, park fees and all those I have not listed, why don't we do the right thing?" Zaruba said. "The residents of Iowa could actually fund this department of the state government that we rely on to keep our water safe. We, the people, need to ask our legislators to fund this department that is so important for our future, both economically and environmentally."

Losses worth millions

Herring said the state delayed capital improvements and land purchases this year to balance the budget. Fishing license sales were down $1 million. The state lost another $1 million in cropland lease revenue while it faced millions of dollars' worth of damage to roads, dams, fish hatcheries, ramps and other facilities.

The license fees cover most of the conservation work done through the state's Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund. This year, licenses generated $30 million of the state's $51 million trust fund budget. The rest is mostly from federal taxes on sporting goods, ammunition and boat gas.

State wildlife workers expect the higher fees to cost them some sales. Projections showed that the new fees would generate $25.8 million, compared with $20 million in 2007, with the same number of license sales. But the department projects $22.4 million a year in sales with the new fee package.

A DNR survey of seven Midwestern states found Iowa's season fishing license fees were below average in 2007. Basic hunting fees were slightly above the Midwest average. However, Iowa's additional fee to hunt antlerless deer in the main season was nearly twice the Midwest average. The new proposal would cut that fee from $25.50 to $15, slightly above the 2007 average.

Some surrounding states already are looking at increases. In fact, Missouri, which has $103 million in sales taxes dedicated to its $172 million conservation budget, is considering fee increases for next year.

Iowa has a budget of $57 million for conservation, none of which comes from general tax money, Herring said.

Projected increases vary

The 34 percent rise in basic hunting and fishing license costs do not count habitat fees, waterfowl stamps or trout fees, for example. Projected increases in various deer, turkey, trapping, short-term fishing and other licenses vary. For example, the habitat fee required of hunters would jump 17 percent, to $13.50. Resident turkey licenses would rise by nearly 20 percent, and resident any-sex deer licenses would rise by 39 percent.

One of the largest increases: a 71 percent increase for a resident trapping license. The cost would go to $36, up from $21.

Some of the license fees, including the trapping charge, haven't risen since 1991. Others were raised within the past decade.

Nonresidents would pay 11 percent to 37 percent more for various licenses.

Herring expects plenty of complaints about the proposal, especially in a weak economy.

"We understand these are difficult times, but the reality we are facing is that our hunters and anglers carry the majority of the conservation funding burden in the state, and we will need to increase the license fees to meet the rising cost of maintaining areas to hunt and fish," Herring said.

"Without an increase, the quality of our natural areas will begin to decline and fewer and fewer people will find these areas attractive

proposed changes for 2009

resident

hunting to $23.50
habitat to 13.05
waterfowl to 11.50
any sex deer to 35.50
turkey to 27.50
fish to 23.50

non resident

hunting to 110.00
any sex deer to 295.00
turkey to 125.00
fish to 49.50

Re: iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees..

Ill pay it, all of it, but the real kicker is the antlerless doe tags...

$17.00 across the board. 17 for the first one, and 17 for all the following tags....

and the DNR wants the population down???? thats going to restrict me big time! ill prlly only buy 2-3 next year as opposed to the 6-8 i buy now. sometimes things dont make much sense. i think they are raising prices to reduce resident participation so they have a legitimate excuse to open the NR flood gates......

jmo

"i think they are raising prices to reduce resident participation so they have a legitimate excuse to open the NR flood gates......"

i never thought about that, good point!

Slowly but surely turning into a rich man's sport. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Lawmakers would have to approve the increases, which most likely would take effect July 1. </div></div>

Probably buy my hunting/fishing combo license early to avoid the fee increase. Usually buy it in January anyways.

This is complete BS! I love how, we, the hunters, are the ones with with the burden of paying the extra fees. So many people utilize our natural resources in the state of Iowa, but we are the ONLY ones who are expected to open up pocket books. Why not make the bird watchers or dog walkers who tromp around public ground when i'm bow hunting pay? Why not make the horse back rider in the state park pay? Why not make the family who wants to go on a picnic at the public property pay? Why not make the bikers who ride their bikes on state property purchase a registration to legally ride?

My point is that we all utilize our resources, yet the hunters are the ones who have to pay for it, and now, prices are going to go up again.

The prices of the tags go up, and the number of hunters will decline.

GREAT IDEA-LETS MAKE IT EVEN HARDER TO GET YOUTH INVOLVED IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS! It's getting to the point where beginners who are interested are not going to want to fork over the money to buy a license, nor will parents be able to afford to purchase deer tags for the sons and daughters to go with. Family traditions are dying.

It's turning into a rich mans sport more and more every year.

Thanks Mr. Herring.

Complete B.S.

And they know that us sportsman are so passionate about hunting that we will pay the dues no matter the price...We are being used and abused!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34%!!!!!!

artcle is in today's des moines register

last years poor weather kept people away from state parks, and hunting and fishing licenses were way down.

as far as repairing the state parks, how about breaking out some chain gangs and putting the state's free-loadin prisoners to work?
What ever happened to the park fees? At least I felt as though other people had to contribute a small amount to the upkeep.It was very minimal by hunting and fishing standards so I was very surprised when that was no longer an option.
we need to pass that sustainable funding legislation quickly.</div></div>
How many states don't fund their fish and game? Is Iowa out of the norm here?
Very much agree about prisoners,no way is it unreasonable to have them work for their accomodations.Give them a reason to not want to be there and get some much needed work done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ill prlly only buy 2-3 next year as opposed to the 6-8 i buy now. sometimes things dont make much sense. i think they are raising prices to reduce resident participation so they have a legitimate excuse to open the NR flood gates......

jmo</div></div>

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that is what happens. It pisses me off..
Money money money.. They raise our prices and the permit sales WILL go down. I won't buy as many doe tags and neither will any of the guys I know. So they raise the number of NR permits by the sales that they had lost from residents which would probably make the damn things an over the counter non-lottery permit. Which would be sweet for them cause the NRs pay more. Just what we need.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

What's next? Any-sex Rifle Tags for the $$$$? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Thats where we are heading.

It's hard to explain everything that is going on in my head but it sounds something like - "That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane - Lenny Burnside is not afraid." The only difference is that - I don't feel fine.

I hope wjs logs on and reads this post for sure.

If doe tags go that high I will go from buying a dozen to one, two, or ZERO. That's ridiculous to charge that much for a doe when the object is to reduce the herd.

Its tough, and unfortunately there is little we can do, as it has been a while since there was an increase.

but i will pay what i have to pay to play! at this point, i dont think any price is too high for an either sex tag. Heck, make em 50 bucks for all i care, i'll pay it!!! however id rather see that than the increase on antlerless tags..... that makes no sense to me.

but im broke.... so i better watch what i say
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope wjs logs on and reads this post for sure.

If doe tags go that high I will go from buying a dozen to one, two, or ZERO. That's ridiculous to charge that much for a doe when the object is to reduce the herd. </div></div>

I hope he reads it also but there probably is not much
he can do.

I do agree with Thomas that it could be a way to get more non-residents in here to spend more money. They are doing it politically but effectively.

Just out of curiousity would 6 extra dollars keep you guys from actually buying the same number of tags?

I re read the article, so the first doe tag is being raised but the rest of them after that are being lowered I may still buy the same number... Though after seeing that Iowa is twice the midwest average it just makes me shake my head.

I won't decide what I'm doing till next fall on doe tags. Maybe I'll follow JNR's lead and start selling plasma to pay for deer tags.

Only money fellas you all know we have all this money lying around to freaking donate to the state wildlife workers. I'll quit hunting for sure. Just pick up sheds and take pictures. That will be real profitable for them. I personally know lots of people that WONT PAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Herring you guys need to get your head out of your a$$es!!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I re read the article, so the first doe tag is being raised but the rest of them after that are being lowered I may still buy the same number... </div></div>

Matt,
where did you read that? I believe you, im just curious

i was under the impression that all antlerless tags were going to be 17.50 across the board. 17.50 for your first tag, and 17.50 for your 2nd, 3rd 4th and so on?

it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong, but thats what i heard at one time.

I've read the comments and can understand some of the feelings but I'm not so sure about the "used and abused" sentiment. Iowa resident hunting licenses have not gone up in many many years (15+?). Name one other item you purchase that has not seen a marked increase in the last decade plus.

The cost of the proposed license is still less than taking two people to the movies and buying popcorn and drinks. The problem with the movies is that each time you go you pay that price again and again. Whether it's a hunting, fishing or trapping license, the more you use it, in actuality the less it costs. You pay for it one time and get to use it as much as you want within the season dates.

The DNR has tried for resident license increases over the past several years but keep getting turned down by legislators who balk with the comment "it's a tax". They are wrong--it is not a tax--it's not a user fee. If you don't use it, it doesn't cost you a thing.

The legislators have basically put the price increases on non-resident deer hunters and I believe that is wrong.

As far as getting other state land users to pay some type of user fee---get hold of your legislators and try to get something passed. I don't disagree with the concept at all. There was the attempt several years ago on the national level to get an excise tax on certain outdoor related items that the states would have received a portion of (along the lines of P-R) but it went nowhere because of too much opposition.

By law license fees can only go to fund wildlife programs, the biologists who manage the programs, the conservation officers who enforce the laws and their related equipment.

It will be great if Iowa gets a sustainable resource funding initiative passed. If so every Iowan will be paying to ensure there will always be land and wildlife for everyone to enjoy whether they hunt or just observe.

I wonder what everything will jump to in 2010. At those prices, you will see even less participation, thus less $. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Top Bottom