Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

It's Time

cybball

I'm sure many of you have gone through this. I've shot a hand me down bear bruin bow that is long, heavy, and lobs arrows. It kills deer, as I've taken one every year for numerous years now, but I'm sick of "lobbing" arrows. At 30 yards, if I'm slightly off, high to low, it's way off. Heck, I bought a new Plano Hard bow case this year and it's too long to fit into it. I would love a Hoyt or Matthews, as my neighbor shoots both, but the money is tight and I'm not sure I can swing $650 for a new one. I like the price of PSE, but I"ve heard they are really loud bows. My brother shoots one and he said the same thing. I'm planning on hitting Central Iowa Archery and testing some out, but do you guys have any suggestions as far as what to look for? I'm thinking of spending around $400-$450. I want to shoot something fast. I'm not the best archer, but have practiced a lot more lately. Went to the 3D range quite a bit out in Stuart last summer and got pretty good. All the guys I shoot with have small, lightweight bows that zip arrows. Without breaking the bank and getting my wife upset, I'd like to find a reasonably priced quality bow that I'll be happy with. Any of you guys that don't shoot Hoyt or Matthews that have an opion, it would be greatly appreciated. (Even you Hoyt and Matthew's guys' opinion is needed). Someday I'll get a Hoyt, but this will be a stepping stone. Thanks for the help. Just trying to make an informed decision, and who better to ask?

I would find a bow you like by just trying one out somewhere. If the sticker price is too high, search on ebay for one. I think there are a lot of other great bows out there aside from hoyt and mathews to include browning, high country, bear/jennings, etc....... All you need to kill a deer is a bow you can shoot effectivly, accuratly and comfortably. Search around, plenty of time before next season, just get a bow that fits great. You can pick up some quality bows for around 200-300 bucks.

it's not the bow it's the person shooting it. my dad can shoot a POS darton or astro better than most people and their new bows. for $500 you will be walking out with a great bow. shoot a lot of bows and don't make any hasty decisions. you never know, since bow season isn't here now you can maybe get another couple hundred and then you can splurge a little bit. good luck.

I do apprecite the help. I totally agree that it's not the bow, and it is me if I miss. On the other hand, it's like handing a pro baseball player a whiffel ball bat. I just want a faster bow that will do the job. As I said, my bow now kills deer. I would just like to upgrade. I'm serious about practicing and being as good as I can. I enjoy the sport. Love to hunt, and have a blast 3D shooting. Hunting foam deer all summer only gets me ready for October. Anyone hear anything about PSE? Cabelas has a Baby G that seemed like it had the specs. Are they good bows, loud, ect? I'm planning on trying several. At least as many different ones as possible. I have shot my neighbors hoyt and matthews. Fell in love with both. Would like something similar, just not as expensive.

pse makes good stuff. i used to shoot a quantum and before that a boss impact and before that a thunderflite and before that a nova...all by pse. then i saw the light...

busted.gif
HOYT
busted.gif

a good inexpensive Hoyt that i could recomment would be the MT Sport package for around $400 totally set up. the guys at the shop you're going to will treat you right and help ya out too. keep an open mind and it'll all work out man.
waytogo.gif

Thanks a lot muddy. Man, you have had your fun in buying bows. I've stuck it out now for about 8 years with the same old bow and it's time to upgrade. I may save up enough by May to buy the Hoyt. I've shot them and they are my favorite. Shoot fast and flat at 30 yards. If not, I'm sure I'll find one that pretty much does the same thing that I'll be happy with. I just know myself and hate buying something that isn't just what I wanted. I'm trying not to go broke, but man, I do love those bows. I'd also like to shoot carbon next year. Just for kicks. I assume when I get the bow, the proshop will get me set up with the right carbons?

I currently shoot a Parker and I am very happy with it. I tried several before the purchase and it seemed to work the best for me and it is a little cheaper than the Hoyt or Mathews. I picked up the old Bear Mag Hunter which is comparable to what you use the other day and shot it a few times, man talk about a change in technology,speed and weight. You will need to shoot them to know what is best for you. I don't think the name or the appearance should dictate what would work the best for you since there is so many quality bows on the market today to choose from.

CYBBALL-I shoot a Fred Bear TRX which I bought at Central Iowa Archery and to be honest I absolutely love this bow.Light and fast and accurate but best of all it is right at 400 bucks,which is a good deal if you ask me.When trying new ones out give one a try.Good Luck.......

Currently I shoot a Martin Jag Mag. Bought it new for $300. 33 inch axle to axle and pretty fast. Before that I shot PSE bows. I liked it but noticed it was pretty noisy in the rain. Didn't shoot the best either. Liked the PSE accessories though.

Would recommend checking either of them out. Theisen's I know carries some decent bows including Martin. Not sure if there is one in your area though.

Have fun and good luck.

I went through the same thought process last year thinking I didn't want to spend $700 on a new bow. I found a used Hoyt that fit my needs very nicely and paid under $400 for it at Scheels in C.F. Granted it was a 2000 model finger bow but with all the changes and upgrades people are making you can find quality used equipment that will be the right step up from where you are at now. I am very happy with my "used" Hoyt and I moved up from a early 90's era PSE Polaris.

Brent

I bought a Martin Prowler at about this time last year and I couldnt be happier with it. Its a short, fast bow that is very quiet without any type of string silencers or stabilizer. I think I paid under $300 for it at eders.com. I shot it at 3d targets all summer last year and shot one deer with it this fall. I'm kind of stuck on Martins because thats all I've ever had, but I have shot a lot of other bows from bowtechs to matthews and I'll still take my martin any day.

matthews fx series they are lik 299 bone stock and you can walk out the door with a badoodle rest and decent optics for about 450$ very fast 320 fps and very versatile. it is what i started with very cost effective and a great product.

cybball
Just seen your post and wanted to let you know that I have a good friend that has a Hoyt Magnatec for sale. It is only 2 years old. He buys "high" sells "low" if you know what I mean. I think he mentioned something about $200 for everything (sights, stabilizer, rest, quiver, arrows, you name it) & everything is like brand new. He only went out 2 times this year. Shoot me a private message if interested. That goes for anybody I guess. Thanks, Jeff
26404-archer[1].gif

wait until a few months after the new hoyts line has been out and visit a proshop. Many guys will be getting rid of last years model or 2 year old models and a bow that was 650 last year will turn into a 450 one this year. Check out magnumsportsx.com and call geoff in about 2 months.

Thanks a lot for the help. The general consensus is that I need to get to a proshop and shoot everything under the sun. Guess just like shotguns, it's what feels the best. Appreciate the offer Jeff. Think I'm going to stick to new though. Not trying to be fickle, just have never bought a new bow. Never actually bought a used one. My brother gave me the old Bear Bruin. I'm really excited to shoot the new technology that is on the market though. My bow now is so heavy that when I pick up the new bows, they seem like little toys. They are so small and light, they don't feel like they would work. Like I said though, I've shot my neighbor's Hoyt and Matthews and know the potential of what I could be shooting. I'm not sold on any one bow in particular, or even a brand. I'm just going to try to keep an open mind and try some out. Once I get the bow, I'll be back to ask a million other questions about it. Thanks.

good luck with your decision cybball. you'll definately have a sore shoulder after shooting so much!! are you going all out and switching to a release too?? if so that'll make a big impact on which bows you can shoot comfortably. i know what you mean about wanting a new bow. it's like your first new car really. it's awesome to know that you're the only one to have shot it really!! it definately gave me a confidence boost this past year to be shooting my very first brand new bow, which happened to be a Hoyt RazorTEC. once agin, good luck with your decision.

Thanks Muddy. I shoot a release now. Bought new Tru-Glow sights, new arrow reast, and new stabalizer. I've got most of the equipment to put onto the new rig when I get it. Everything on my bow is new, just not the bow. It's going to be my offseason project. Hoping to have one picked out before I start chasing turkeys.

I shot an Alpine and the package is in your price range. Love the bow and I am shooting 290 fps and it is very quiet!! Maybe you can get on their website and find a dealer in your area. The beauty of the Alpine is you pay the same amount of money as some lower end bows but the whole thing is customized to you and ready to go and is very high quality.

i know a guy (1969hunter) who is going to sell a hoyt razortec, with everything for about the price you are looking at cyball. i believe its 2 years old. i was going to buy it, but i found a good deal on a fredbear realtree trx. pm me or him, if your interested

Look into the Renegade line. They make some very fine equipment and are also a WI bow Company.. I know I was watching some New in the Bow 03's on Ebay a while back and the Tominator xl was going for under 300 bucks... That is a great all around bow pretty quick and a mild brace and medium ATA....

I Will be shooting a 04' Ultra tec and a 04 BowTech Pro 40 Freedom... Both bows will set you back over 600 bucks. so I'd scratch them off your list . Unless your in love with one after you sling a few like Me!!LOL

Actually .... I did not even shoot the Hoyt,, I was asked to be a shoip shooter and am going into this one Blind! Yiiiiiiiipe!!!!!!

Hope it is a sweety,

We will see. Good luck ... shoot a lot .. and don't listen to anything but your own comfort level....

Gritty

Top Bottom