Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jay Gregory's farm for sale

You think that's bad, a school trust in my neck of the woods bought 4 farms up around me here in Pa. a year & a half ago for $60,000.00 an acre! Some of my neighbors are now millionaires. The claimed they needed it for a buffer zone for the school homes? They really inflated the prices & are being investigated by the state attorney general.

Government spending $ foolishly and wastefully?!?!? What a shocker!!! Probably the way MOST of our tax $ is spent.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it on their site any more.

That's weird, it's not on there. I like the site BUT now I can't find recent listings BUT they decided to put stuff like farms that SOLD 2 years ago on there. I remember looking at that Clarke county 690 or whatever at least 2 years ago when it sold and now they just put it back on there (just to show more "SOLD" listings). That's maybe all I don't like about site and I wish I could search the whole state based on acreage amounts instead of 1 county at a time. Sorry for the random rambling!

Last edited:
Heck, properties around the state (or in any state) have gone up a lot. There was junk ground going for $150/acre many years ago. That junk ground could fetch $2500 at its best right now. You take that junk ground and add 1/2 being high CSR tillable and you could probably get $3,500/acre. If you're around folks selling ground, income from it is a big component. Of course if you're after big deer you want timber and junk on your place AND you are NOT going to buy a 300 acre flat, all tillable farm in Northern IA if you're after big deer. Folks buying ground have to take into account and ALWAYS take into account: timber quality/income, rental prices on tillable, soil quality, big buck history/proof/potential, hunting pressure, CRP income, cost share $, neighborhood of management, etc. Those all go into a guy's analysis and that's why some hunting ground in IA goes for $1,400 and some goes for $3,800. Heck, it was pretty much the norm in NE IA for hunting land to be in the high-3k until things slowed down with economy. With economy slowing, rec ground has gone down a bit while tillable ground has kept sky-rocketing up- it's because 2 totally different forces are driving prices: Economy for rec ground VS grain prices for tillable.

Listen closely, sligh1 is dishing out valuable advise for free!!

You can ask any price you want for a piece of ground, but until you have sold it or compile enough sold data to justify a price it is just a asking price. Rec ground values have drop dramaticly and there is nothing in the near future that will drive them up unless they are attached to some good production dirt. Buy smart boys.

You can ask any price you want for a piece of ground, but until you have sold it or compile enough sold data to justify a price it is just a asking price. Rec ground values have drop dramaticly and there is nothing in the near future that will drive them up unless they are attached to some good production dirt. Buy smart boys.
You're wrong there. I realize sites like Whitetail Properties don't list the price that land is sold for, but i happen to know some of the landowners who have sold ground. I'm telling you so called "rec ground" hasn't dropped dramticly at all. If you don't believe me; try seriously to buy some hunting ground right now. In eastern Iowa the value is still very high.

let just say this, whitetail properties has done a fantastic job of selling ground to the out of state buyer and tailor that listing to the nr hunter or hunter. and i love to look at the land . some not all of their brokers do a great job. but.... if you look hard enough, auctions, local realtors etc. you can find land for 13-1500 acre- good land, just not land that was owned previously by a hunter , so you plant some food, some high grass , throw up a shooting house and bam- your ready to rock n roll, whitetail properties is like buying an engagement at tiffanys m 10x the price for the name. ist that simple.

13,000 an acres is for strictly farm ground...good producing ground. 13k is high and might partly be the result of a bidding war, but I know of other 8k-10k land that's been sold. It's not unusual...and it's not always the product of bidding wars.

2500 an acre for a "whitetail" property that sits on shitty soil, is still a steal...especially to someone who can actually afford 400 acres of it.

Try offering someone in Eastern Iowa 2500 an acre for a similar piece to Jay's and you're going to get laughed at.

It all depends on where you're at, your bankroll, and what you're buying it for...they ain't makin more land, so it's still a good investment. Farmers who throw 10kan acre at land, WILL make some money off of it.

All you "agents" ever heard of "price point"? 400 "recreational"acres at 2500/acre isn't something that is being marketed to the masses. If someone can pull the trigger, then obviously Jay's happy to sell it at that price...I highly doubt he'll be sad if it doesn't sell.

let just say this, whitetail properties has done a fantastic job of selling ground to the out of state buyer and tailor that listing to the nr hunter or hunter. and i love to look at the land . some not all of their brokers do a great job. but.... if you look hard enough, auctions, local realtors etc. you can find land for 13-1500 acre- good land, just not land that was owned previously by a hunter , so you plant some food, some high grass , throw up a shooting house and bam- your ready to rock n roll, whitetail properties is like buying an engagement at tiffanys m 10x the price for the name. ist that simple.
On one thread you're saying there's no land to be bought in southern Iowa, and now you're saying it can be had for 13 to $1500 an acre. I would love to know where this property is located. If it's within a 4 hr. drive i'll purchase it site unseen!

On one thread you're saying there's no land to be bought in southern Iowa, and now you're saying it can be had for 13 to $1500 an acre. I would love to know where this property is located. If it's within a 4 hr. drive i'll purchase it site unseen!

Cedar Creek: Google Gannon Real Estate Iowa and find his website...on that site you will see a 227 acre farm for $1400 an acre. Total price: $317,800. This farm is in Decatur County and is a pasture farm, but it has plenty of timber. Looks like it could be a great hunting farm, with some food plots and habitat improvements...

I will watch his website to see if it says "sold" next week:D

This past summer I purchased a farm on the Decatur County line for $1700/acre and it has 51 tillable(22 bottom ground and the balance hill ground), 14 CRP-switchgrass and the balance timber. $10,000 a year in rent and CRP. Good investment, a similar farm in Minnesota would be priced @ $3000+ per acre... that is why I bought it, the hunting is a bonus.

Last edited:
THANK YOU! IF U LOOK HARD ENOUGH u can find bargains , relative to say what they try to sell them for in whitetail properties.

if you look hard u can get , if you can afford it, you should buy it , what else can i say, even when land was booming 2 years ago people were digging up little nuggets here and there

I am disappointed that I cannot see the posting of the land. I have hunted a lot in decatur county around Leon, Davis City and Van Wert. I hunted land that was surrounded by Drury Land (so I am told, it's just west of Van Wert) and I am just curious exactly where Jay's land is in relation to where I was hunting.

I think it is south of hwy J20 in between I-35 and Grand River. Before Mark Drury sold his ground in that area and bought ground in Clarke county he was claiming Grand River as home, now it is Osceola.

their is probably a mark drury library somewhere built and financed by mark and david lindsey . sad sad . or maybe he donated a laptop or 2 to the local school

Hardwood, I looked at the 227 on the Gannon Auctioneers Website and it is ok at best. It is 80% pasture, which is 182 ac. of pasture. Most serious hunters would not buy it knowing there are better pieces to be had. It's a below average hunting farm priced at what it's worth, 1400/ac.

Last edited:
Cedar Creek: Google Gannon Real Estate Iowa and find his website...on that site you will see a 227 acre farm for $1400 an acre. Total price: $317,800. This farm is in Decatur County and is a pasture farm, but it has plenty of timber. Looks like it could be a great hunting farm, with some food plots and habitat improvements...

I will watch his website to see if it says "sold" next week:D

This past summer I purchased a farm on the Decatur County line for $1700/acre and it has 51 tillable(22 bottom ground and the balance hill ground), 14 CRP-switchgrass and the balance timber. $10,000 a year in rent and CRP. Good investment, a similar farm in Minnesota would be priced @ $3000+ per acre... that is why I bought it, the hunting is a bonus.
I guess we don't have any ground like you're speaking of in eastern Iowa. Sounds like you can stand on the east property line, and see the west property line on a foggy day. Too bad. Plus you have to travel the intire state of Iowa to get to your property. I guess you'll need to find somebody who's willing to pay more than you did to be a good investment.

I went to Gannon Real Estate site, and he only had 3 properties. The one you mention, and 6.69 acres in Boone County for $250,000. And 30 acres in Clarke Co. for $225,000. Some kind of discrepancy there!

Top Bottom