Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jay Gregory's farm for sale

I went to Gannon Real Estate site, and he only had 3 properties. The one you mention, and 6.69 acres in Boone County for $250,000. And 30 acres in Clarke Co. for $225,000. Some kind of discrepancy there!

CC: Yes it sure is all over the board, how much per acre on average in your county?

any serious bowhunter knows u dont need alot of timber to kill big deer in iowa . their is plenty of good hunting ground to be bought if u do your homework- often it is the land that doesnt "look" like a hunting farm but is in a great nhood , sometimes its a farmer looking to just sell whatever. auctions . a year ago great farms were no saling in auctions in southern iowa . of course whitetail props isnt gonna tell u that, they want the land at or above 2k per acre and the reason for that is 2 fold one- commissions. 2nd and more importantly 2 years ago these guys were loading up on land at 1200 1500 1700 acres and relisting it to average joe and then the music stopped and bam. in trouble . so many guys are long land at prices well above 2k per acre, they are just stuck...

I could take an open pasture farm with a FEW trees and turn it into deer paradise in 6 years (switchgrass, pines/christmas trees, tree spade, tree planter, food plots, etc). BUT....
See, I would NEVER buy a farm WITHOUT lots of timber BECAUSE I'm a bowhunter and I need lots of stands to hunt. If I buy a 500 with only a few tree rows, I MAY be able to get 5 good treestands up?!?!? If I buy 500 acres with 350 acres of TIMBER, I probably can get 30 treestands up. Both might have equal food/cover BUT I'll ruin the property with few stand locations no major break-ups of the fields. If I was a weekend hunter from out-of-state AND I only gun hunted, SURE, I'd just save some money and buy some cheap pasture land & convert it to cover. I need TIMBER though for my circumstance.
Once economy comes back, who knows what will happen- it'll go up for sure. Then, you have interest rates, OBAMA, grain prices, inflation, subsidies, etc, etc. Some of which no one can know what will happen. One thing I KNOW for sure, if you are willing to hold the ground for 10 or 20 years, GEESH, it's at a discount right NOW and the stars have aligned to set yourself up for a RARE opportunity. When economy, ground prices and interest rates go up- the guys will be kicking themselves they didn't buy right now.
"Be Greedy when others are cautious and be cautious when others are greedy".

everyone has their preference - big blocks of timber look pretty but they are not as easy to bowhunt as a farm that is more open, thats just opinion - point is that you can find nice farms in good neighborhoods and kill big deer every year , in places like the southern counties . my buddy sold 600 acres 400 of it was solid timber , the place was in a good county and the hunting was absolutely awful, so it all depends on what you like, ever watch guys like steve snow all he does is sit in the draws and rattle and call. either way , you can find good value if you look

I agree, farms with small draws are easier to hunt, NO QUESTION- pinpoints the deer BUT you only have room for a few spots which is easy to ruin. Snow hunts those spots BUT has 3500 (old Skoronski's farm) plus another 500-800 SO even though it may have some small/pinpointed draws, he has about 50 of those small/pinpointed draws. We are on the same page, probably just splitting hairs.

Top Bottom