Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Keeping Dogs Out- FENCE???

I think there was a law passed last year that makes it illegal to shoot dogs wearing a collar.

My plan this year was to paintball a couple of labs that I had on trail cam and were around my house. I figured that would send a pretty clear picture to the owners. I am too cheap to spend the money though plus they haven't been around since shotgun 1. Don't know if the owner locked them up or something happened.

I like the warning about traps. Problem with a warning is you have to be ready to back it up. 330 coni in a bucket set with some coyote bait......

My opinion on the fence is a huge waste of money. Over, under, around the sons (and daughters) of bitches will find a way in.

The 'Bonker

If you did fence your place, you could leave a few choice openings with a snare instead of a trap.... :confused: Good luck in what ever you do.

Every coon dog I ever had would scale woven wire with barbed tops like they were nothing. .

I've got a german wirehair that scales 4strand barbwire fences becuase he can not becuase there is anything better on either side, I think he just likes to jump like a deer.

Skip...I'm not one to shoot hunting dogs either and would never consider it if people are actually hunting with them. In our area dogs that are being hunted will almost always have tracking collars on them.

Having said that, those very same dogs came within a breath of being shot the other day! I pulled in the yard and the whole pack had a wounded buck pinned in my front yard!

Now we have a right to protect our land, livestock and wildlife from free roaming dogs and had I had a gun in the truck I would have killed every one of them right then and there!

Instead I jumped out and yelled bloody murder at them and they turned tail and ran. I went in, grabbed the gun and proceeded to track them down but they headed for home and I didn't catch up with them.

I can't tell you what to do but these dogs are killers having tasted blood and will never stop, fence or no fence.

I hope they don't come back, I hope I'm not faced with doing something I find distasteful but when push comes to shove...no one will know what happened and you won't need no dadgum fence either...:mad:

Sounds like you got a mess on your hands Skip. Paul is right he caught them red handed or red pawwed, these dogs are not just out wandering checking the scenery they are out to chase down and kill whatever they find. I lived a few miles north of you about 6 years ago and had a pack of dogs that kept coming around, killed a few of the neighbors calves, chased and caught deer. The neighbor actually put a bounty on them dogs. $10 bucks or a large pizza for each one. One night I came home to find these dogs in my yard, they had my shorthair surrounded. He was in his kennel but they were determined to get in either to kill him or bust him out and run with the pack. They decided to growl and act like they owned the place when i got out of the truck. They ran off before I could regulate, but 3 days later I saw them out in the bean field and the .243 laid over the round bale took care of buisness. Never had a problem with them dogs again. Nobody knew who owned the dogs, or at least claimed them but me and the neighbor shared a pizza for lunch. If Paul says they are a problem, from hearing what he saw I would say it is time to regulate. Just pretend they are coyotes with a hound costumes on to trick the coyote hunters.

man thats a lot of money that could be put towards foodplots tower blinds tree stands fertilizer or equipment instead on some fence to keep some stupid hound dogs off i think you should rethink that i would shoot them on sight if it were me but the pound thing is not a bad option sometimes you have to be a jerk when it comes to something you pay for including taxes you bought it to use and enjoy you are the one paying for it i wouldnt let some stupid dogs ruin it

I am babysitting my daughters lab for a few months. Put up a 4'fence and she leaped over it. Put in a 5' fence and she climbed it. Put in a 7' fence and she climbed it too! Saw it with my own eyes. Had to put a ledge on top of the 7 foot panels. DONT BUY A FENCE JUST TO KEEP DOGS OUT!

First choice BANG BANG BANG, but it doesnt sound like you wana do that. An idea if you did put the fence up its going to add a little expence but put up a couple of hot wires and send on heck of a charge through them enough so you can hear the darn dogs yelp from your house. Just an idea

thanks a ton for the input!!! I really am not going to shoot them, if I was, I obviously would have never posted anything! :) I am quite a creative person SO I think I'll bag the fence idea and go for plan B, C, D, E...... I'll keep trying. It's also true with all the money one could towards FOODPLOTS, BLINDS, STANDS, etc, etc BUT the crappy part is when you go to hunt them those darn dogs ruin it all the stinkin time.

Creativity and taking the high-road will come up with a solution here! Thanks again!!

I think I learned this from here. SSS. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

I do like the coyote trap idea though. Thats a good one. I wouldnt even feel guilty about that.

The dogs will find a way. If there is a reason to get in there....they will. I would tell the owner that if he doesn't keep them on his land.....u will call the sheriff and write a complaint. If that don't work.....say that you have someone to kill these damn dogs...but it won't be you.lol

A couple years ago my neighbor had like three or four golden retrievers. He would just let them run and go wherever. They kept coming in my yard and stuff, not causing any trouble or anything but it was just annoying. What worked for me to keep them out was I took a pellet gun and pumped it quitea few times and shot them in the rear. I don't know if it penertrated at all but they would give a little yelp and run off. After a few times they learned not to come over.

7d23_12.JPG

I am sure you will find this product to be an effective deterrent to all forms of canines.

It works well for feral cats also.
peepwall.gif

Last edited:
I''ve lost 5 feeder cattle, one cow, all the kids bunnys tore the cage down drung it to the front yard. All their cats , chickens, about had 2 horses run through a fence . Oh yea a 300 dollar crank out window. Neighbor being a jack ass just said in a huffy voice if you complane Jezzzzzz guys use the 3 sss prob solved . Funny when damage like loosing cattle in the thousands it's never their dog !

Have you contacted your local sheriff, most counties have ordinances that prevent rural residents from letting their dogs run loose, if ur county has some type of ordinance the owner could be charged with trespass, if not contact ur local CO it is possible he could be charged with obstructing a hunt...if nothing else a visit from law enforcement mite help, as a l e o i respect that u have tried to resolve the problem on ur ow, time for the next step, u shouldnt have to spend $K's to protect ur land.

Top Bottom