Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree that when the tag is in the hands of the wrong person, it can be used in the wrong way. I also believe that there are more people out there who are using tags in an appropriate manner than those who are not. It's too bad that a few bad apples give the entire season a bad reputation.

On a sidenote, I just got off the phone with one of the landowners who allows me to hunt. He stated that tonight he had 20 bucks in the field, and 7 were already shed out. Never before has he seen so many shed bucks this early. So, with that in mind, pay close attention before squeezing the trigger this weekend if you're going to be out hunting. I know I will, and I can guarantee you all that I won't shoot a shed buck, nor will anyone that hunts with me.

Last edited:
So what effect at all does it have if you shoot one late season that has lost its antlers then if you shot one that hasnt shed its antlers? Either way the same deer is dead. It doesnt matter if its November 10th or January 10th that same deer would be dead. So explain to me why it would matter if you shoot him late season as opposed to any other season?

Great question!!! Seriously.
1) the season was defined and created to target & shoot does only. The Dnr understands the "mistakes" that r made by all the shed bucks (& button any season) & even writes a "cautionary" article each season on how to properly identify shed bucks and avoid shooting them. Even they understand the problem
2) why is this a problem in ur opinion and questioning? Fair enough.... Because we have "reasonably strict" restrictions and regulations as to how many bucks r shot. In areas still open for shed buck season- there is an "over population" in SOME of those areas. More frequently combined with poor buck to doe ratios. Many does and a mature buck is rare anywhere. Shooting a buck this late kills a buck that would have likely made it and obviously been more mature next yr. killing him hurts the already struggling ratios & does little vs killing a Doe to reduce population.
3) killing anytime does have similar consequences. Do u think there's an over-abundance of older bucks anywhere though?? Of course not. Extremely rare. We need all the help we can get on average vs the frequent pockets of high deer #'s needing female deer shot. If shooting them without horns jan 20 is ok- how bout shooting them year round? How bout unlimited buck tags????? Seriously. The season was "meant" to avoid killing shed bucks for good reason but it's obviously having frequent and wide spread mistakes happening all over the state. Why most states wrap things up jan 1- it's for good reason. I could go on with far more rationale BUT if there's anyone that needs more reasons that shooting a shed buck late season is a bad idea- lemme know and I can supply a lot more information, point of view, biology and opinion on the matter.

Great question!!! Seriously.
1) the season was defined and created to target & shoot does only. The Dnr understands the "mistakes" that r made by all the shed bucks (& button any season) & even writes a "cautionary" article each season on how to properly identify shed bucks and avoid shooting them. Even they understand the problem
2) why is this a problem in ur opinion and questioning? Fair enough.... Because we have "reasonably strict" restrictions and regulations as to how many bucks r shot. In areas still open for shed buck season- there is an "over population" in SOME of those areas. More frequently combined with poor buck to doe ratios. Many does and a mature buck is rare anywhere. Shooting a buck this late kills a buck that would have likely made it and obviously been more mature next yr. killing him hurts the already struggling ratios & does little vs killing a Doe to reduce population.
3) killing anytime does have similar consequences. Do u think there's an over-abundance of older bucks anywhere though?? Of course not. Extremely rare. We need all the help we can get on average vs the frequent pockets of high deer #'s needing female deer shot. If shooting them without horns jan 20 is ok- how bout shooting them year round? How bout unlimited buck tags????? Seriously. The season was "meant" to avoid killing shed bucks for good reason but it's obviously having frequent and wide spread mistakes happening all over the state. Why most states wrap things up jan 1- it's for good reason. I could go on with far more rationale BUT if there's anyone that needs more reasons that shooting a shed buck late season is a bad idea- lemme know and I can supply a lot more information, point of view, biology and opinion on the matter.

Do you think Late Muzzy should end earlier as well? Or do you just think they should eliminate the January Antlerless season? Honest question. I have seen several Shed bucks this Late Muzzy season. Do you think that should end the first of the year as well?

I would be ok shortening muzzleloader, however, you can shoot either sex during muzzle. Shed season/ doe seaso. Is supposed to be doe only. Most rifle hunters down here are shooting over 150yards....not taking time to check for holes where bone used to be.

I would be ok shortening muzzleloader, however, you can shoot either sex during muzzle. Shed season/ doe seaso. Is supposed to be doe only. Most rifle hunters down here are shooting over 150yards....not taking time to check for holes where bone used to be.
Makes sense. I personally put down the muzzy and pick up the .243. However I'm chasing coyotes. :way:

I hunt for bucks during bow and muzzleloader season. I used to use gun 2 antlerless tags to fill my freezer but got sick of competition, along with numerous other things involved with being nice enough to take a small group hunting on land I have permission for. I could honestly care less if this season goes away, I think it is time. But it has been nice to hunt it with less pressure than shotgun seasons and my buddies and I have taken dozens of deer not one of which had nuts. To each their own.

I could personally care less when people hunt or what they shoot. The purpose of deer season is to kill deer. Are those opposed to killing a shed buck also opposed to all the 1.5 that are knowingly killed as bucks?

If all the bucks were left to 'grow up', then it just wouldn't be the same challenge to kill a mature one. High fence your place if you are that worried about it. Unless you complain about that too.....

Late ML shortened? I personally don't think the few that gave up shotgun 1 & 2 for late ML r out for does but I am sure a few r. Late ML hunters r: 1) few in number 2) Gave up "circus hunting" where gun seasons attract the "let's blast crowd" (which I'm not intending this to knock that) & late ML often weeds out to leave the "hard core" cold weather sit & wait and want "peace & quiet" type. But- I am sure a very small amount of shed bucks t killed during late ML. I actually think harvest data (even though many during shed buck season will not register as shed cause want season to stay) will support the fact that ML kills few shed bucks with the small amount able to hunt it. 3) late ML is 1 shot- usually on feeding deer that r standing stilll- one careful shot- one kill hopefully.
VS late shed Buck season where folks can buy huge numbers of tags, anyone can get them (whether hunted 1st/2nd gun or not), have multiple round magaizines, often shoot in party hunts at running deer, have multiple guys in group and have a totally different mentality than the Late ML hunters. My point is- late ML is likely doing little to no damage on shed bucks VS a totally different type of hunt with different mentality later in the yr.

Iowa buckeye- if we really wanted to go down that DIFFERENT ROAD- I think most that r not referring to new hunters and kids would also "argue" with good biological backing that shooting 1.5 yr old bucks in well populated areas is not biologically wise & makes zero sense other than 1 hunter's "selfish" interest of his own "good time" (which having a good time of course should b PART of hunting IMO). Which - by going to this "new level" and making a "jerk" statement like that - more folks might get bent on this BUT let's call a spade a spade. Yea- ill say it- in the average areas of Iowa- its harmful & makes zero BIOLOGICAL sense to shoot a 1.5 yr old buck.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Skip for bringing this back. In 20 years everyone will be talking of how the wonderful Skip Sligh saved Iowa's deer herd. My wife is baking a cake for you and is knitting you a nice sweater as we speak. I hope your left arm is longer than your right.

I could personally care less when people hunt or what they shoot. The purpose of deer season is to kill deer. Are those opposed to killing a shed buck also opposed to all the 1.5 that are knowingly killed as bucks?

If all the bucks were left to 'grow up', then it just wouldn't be the same challenge to kill a mature one. High fence your place if you are that worried about it. Unless you complain about that too.....

That stuff happens during shotgun and mayne occasionally muzzleloader. It's fair game then though, but hell my kid passes on small bucks at age 11. Doe season was brought about to reduce numbers...it's not needed and has had negative effects of killing mature bucks at long distance. It's farm bureau season....the same people who would like all deer gone.....btween farm bureau and ethanol ruining 1.6 milliin acres of iowa crp since 1990.....I wonder what kind of outdoorsman activities will be around for my children...and their children. Screw the ethanol lobby ....and screw farm bureau and their boughten politicians.

Thank you so much Skip for bringing this back. In 20 years everyone will be talking of how the wonderful Skip Sligh saved Iowa's deer herd. My wife is baking a cake for you and is knitting you a nice sweater as we speak. I hope your left arm is longer than your right.

Oh no, u again. How bout u read some other threads, have some more beers & just help the wife with that cake! :drink2::way:

Biological sense or not, it fills their freezers!
Not everyone hunts for trophy reasons. In fact, it is the majority.
I find it hard to have fun in the field if I am always worrying about someone else shooting a deer that someday I may have a chance at, stands on the fence, blah, blah. I just head out and have fun with what I can control.

Hey Jerk, You are the example of a reason why good folks & knowledgeable folks quit posting. Just because you have your own personal things going on, don't mean you need to take them out here and purposely be a Tard. Go simmer down if you are not capable of a grown up debate Or those that dont see things like You do Didn't see anything warranting someone being a wanker so go deal with your personal issues at home. Why I rarely post- guys like you that need a spanking and 30 minutes in time out.

You probably just lost Skip as a potential taxidermy client, and he does shoot some mounters!!

Biological sense or not, it fills their freezers!
Not everyone hunts for trophy reasons. In fact, it is the majority.
I find it hard to have fun in the field if I am always worrying about someone else shooting a deer that someday I may have a chance at, stands on the fence, blah, blah. I just head out and have fun with what I can control.

Having fun, not worrying and filling the freezer- all great things!! We agree on some great things about hunting. Where we differ is: can u get this done oct 1 to jan 10 and is there harm that comes by putting rifles in guys's hands out to blast deer without horns afte jan 10. Would u b ok with having season run to march 1 or not end at all??

Here is the cold hard truth. It is an antlerless season designed to lower deer numbers. Shed bucks are antlerless so they will die too. The DNR or those above them don't give two craps about shed bucks. They are looking at the $$ generated from the tags and the total deer harvest.

People coming from waterloo, iowa city, des moines dont give a crap about what they kill with a rifle on ground they only hunt that season. I hear about it all the time from multiple groups that only go South one weekend a year.

You wont change many peoples minds on this. All you can do is watch out for yourself and educate as many folks as you can in which you just come off looking like a greedy horn hunting A Hole so sometimes I dont even see the point.

Just be thankful the season is a week less so not as many will be killed. We are already going to have banner years to come..i beleive we are 10,000 +less button bucks dead than last year.

Top Bottom