Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we should be like Ohio, and only allow residents (regardless as to if you are a landowner or not) to kill one buck per year. Look at how many more bucks we will have! Right now 500 shed bucks have been shot? So 5 per county. Wow. How many of you killed 2 bucks this year? Any landowners kill 3? Shame on you! :D

Skip, would you be ok with a one buck limit here in Iowa? Just think of how many bucks would survive until the following season.

Good God guys if you own property manage it as you see fit. If not then, well... just like anything else big brother will help you out. This is what I don't like! Alot of you guys say that we are filling the freezer and I get that but this is what I usually find when I am shed hunting. The deer are a couple hundred yards off the road where the deer uasually feed so.... at a couple hundred yards I can't tell if its a shed buck or not. I bet who ever shot this deer didn't either. I hate this season!
PhoneJanuary2013046_zps2e82c279.jpg

One buck limit and no party hunting or late antlerless :way: Lets get rid of all midge flies/gnats too.

One buck limit and no party hunting or late antlerless :way: Lets get rid of all midge flies/gnats too.
I agree 6x6 no party hunting but the midge fly thing is kind of like the late antlerless season the gift that will keep on giving even after a few years.

Personally, I think 1 buck rule would be great. No party hunting - I don't think too many would shed a tear on that either. Both of which, I know many folks who shoot more than 1 buck & party hunt just because they can. (Kind of like some bad government hand-out they may not agree with, BUT- might as well take advantage while everyone else does).

Side note... As discussed, with dozens of experiences shared here in the past by many.... If it says XYZ shed bucks killed, many know - from experience & witness - that # is far higher. Like the many groups that have been "open" about sharing how they never call in their shed bucks as shed bucks- they call them in as does because "they want the season to stay".
Or several from the DNR stating that this season is the "worst at calling in deer".... Lots of guys, in several of their opinions, who are 1 time a year deer hunters that don't care, take time or give a hoot to call in deer. (suppose this would stem from experience on ticketing non-called in deer?).

I will say, many landowners could shoot 3 bucks. Many regular residents could shoot 2 or maybe even 25 bucks if you get enough buddies for gun season.... I can't think of one landonwer of all that I know that has either EVER filled all 3 of doing with any CONSISTENCY. Non-scientific & just my experience BUT I'd guess most landowners I know might average ONE buck a year if I had to lay $ on it. I know MANY landowners who eat all 3 tags in some occasions. No rule or solid backing here, just what I see year after year. This does NOT put landowners above others BUT... seems like most landowners I know are "giving" people.... they often think deeply about how to make an area better for others, enjoy others shooting deer, they are in to habitat, they think BIOLOGY when they pull the trigger, etc. Giving folks. Honestly, folks shooting multple bucks a year... If I ever see it, it's usually poachers (illegal obviously!!) or guys who shoot whatever runs past them (legal and not equating to poachers!!!).

But ya, beyond the long rant, I'd be cool with 1 buck. Or to go back to the permanent season Iowa has had for a long time now, Oct 1 - Jan 10.

I agree that I rarely see the landowners in the area I hunt filling all three of their buck tags.

I've hunted western KY for many many years, and when KY went to a 1 buck per hunter limit, quality sky rocketed. It is a big buck meca in some of those counties.

I wonder, if the late season antler less is to continue, should it be limited to only those who OWN the property or live in those counties. This would keep the random people out that don't give a rip about what they shoot because they only hunt that area during the late season. If the late season is there for the purpose of reducing the deer numbers in only certain counties then why does it concern someone who does not live in those counties.

Personally, I think 1 buck rule would be great. No party hunting - I don't think too many would shed a tear on that either. Both of which, I know many folks who shoot more than 1 buck & party hunt just because they can. (Kind of like some bad government hand-out they may not agree with, BUT- might as well take advantage while everyone else does).

Side note... As discussed, with dozens of experiences shared here in the past by many.... If it says XYZ shed bucks killed, many know - from experience & witness - that # is far higher. Like the many groups that have been "open" about sharing how they never call in their shed bucks as shed bucks- they call them in as does because "they want the season to stay".
Or several from the DNR stating that this season is the "worst at calling in deer".... Lots of guys, in several of their opinions, who are 1 time a year deer hunters that don't care, take time or give a hoot to call in deer. (suppose this would stem from experience on ticketing non-called in deer?).

I will say, many landowners could shoot 3 bucks. Many regular residents could shoot 2 or maybe even 25 bucks if you get enough buddies for gun season.... I can't think of one landonwer of all that I know that has either EVER filled all 3 of doing with any CONSISTENCY. Non-scientific & just my experience BUT I'd guess most landowners I know might average ONE buck a year if I had to lay $ on it. I know MANY landowners who eat all 3 tags in some occasions. No rule or solid backing here, just what I see year after year. This does NOT put landowners above others BUT... seems like most landowners I know are "giving" people.... they often think deeply about how to make an area better for others, enjoy others shooting deer, they are in to habitat, they think BIOLOGY when they pull the trigger, etc. Giving folks. Honestly, folks shooting multple bucks a year... If I ever see it, it's usually poachers (illegal obviously!!) or guys who shoot whatever runs past them (legal and not equating to poachers!!!).

But ya, beyond the long rant, I'd be cool with 1 buck. Or to go back to the permanent season Iowa has had for a long time now, Oct 1 - Jan 10.

Skip I agree with everything that you say here except I think a landowner
should be allowed two buck tags. Three I think is a little excessive and
have only done it once.

If I am fortunate enough to shoot one in the early season I would like the opportunity to harvest another one if the situation arises.

Like you said not putting a landowner on a pedestal but they are feeding and harboring these deer on their land and should be given an extra tag for doing so. Just my .02 though.

It may be hard to believe but some people do have other priorities and may not have the freedom to go sit in a deer stand all fall like some of us. And also they dont want free hand outs when they could go out and get a deer themselves and experience the enjoyment. And if they dont shoot deer for the antlers then what difference is it to you that they shoot a buck that has already lost their antlers as opposed to shooting the same buck that still has antlers? Absolutely nothing...

So they have other priorities but the ONLY week they can get out is late doe with a rifle...not the other 3.5 months so they can shoot one to feed their family? It would be just as simple to go out and shoot a deer for meat during early muzzeloader, shotgun, or late muzzleloader...plenty of options and just as easy if not easier.

AND, they NEED this season to feed their family but they are too good to take someone else's deer?...must not be that needy then becuse I sure would take any meat donation from someone IF I coudln't get it on my own during the regular season if it was truly life and death.

I can understand the reason to get out and enjoy the hunt but there are plenty of options for a hunter to get out and shoot a deer for meat to feed their family if they truly need it. I know if my family needed meat I'd do whatever it took to put some on the table during the regular season...and I wouldn't be too good for a donation either.

Keeping this doe season at this point is depleting our population...ensuring people that rely on it to put food on the table less and less opportunity to harvest one each year.

I don't agree with the putting food on the table argument. A tag is 27 bucks for the first doe tag and 12 bucks everyone after that or something. You can buy a lot of meat at the supermarket for that, probably as much as you'd get off a deer minus the expense of fuel and ammo. Guys use that as an excuse but really they just want to go push timber and blast away.

Im with you Jake S. Seems alot of people have their own agenda. I have bought a late season tag once but never went hunting cause I didnt have time. Lot of friends hunt down here (group) and have a good time. That should be what its about. Live and let live. To each his own. Stop worrying bout what the next guy is doing. 8 pages later and I have to agree alot of good points but its not going to change anything. Now go ahead and bash me, I dont care.

Im with you Jake S. Seems alot of people have their own agenda. I have bought a late season tag once but never went hunting cause I didnt have time. Lot of friends hunt down here (group) and have a good time. That should be what its about. Live and let live. To each his own. Stop worrying bout what the next guy is doing. 8 pages later and I have to agree alot of good points but its not going to change anything. Now go ahead and bash me, I dont care.

I just dont see what the difference is between shooting a buck mid fall with a rack. or shooting that exact same deer in january without a rack. either way that deer will be dead next year. shooting it later in the year has no effect at all. Especially if this is the only deer you take that year. People just care about the head gear and want to try and "Manage" their mature bucks. Its all about the trophy for %90 percent of hunters. And dont get me wrong I love trophy hunting but I know a lot of people that just like to be out hunting. They could care less weather its a Mature buck or a bambi.

Not bashing here at all, but it should never be priority 1 for an agency such as the DNR big game division to manage a deer herd based on hunters having a good time.

Plenty of time from Oct 1 -Dec 31 to enjoy deer hunting

Not bashing here at all, but it should never be priority 1 for an agency such as the DNR big game division to manage a deer herd based on hunters having a good time.

Plenty of time from Oct 1 -Dec 31 to enjoy deer hunting

So explain to me how it is different for you to go out bow season and kill 1 deer October 1st, Weather it be a doe, Buck, fawn or and then somebody else to go out and kill 1 deer in January?

So explain to me how it is different for you to go out bow season and kill 1 deer October 1st, Weather it be a doe, Buck, fawn or and then somebody else to go out and kill 1 deer in January?

I'll take a stab at that. Some reasons are have more impact & importance than others.
1) a Buck Oct 1st has a far smaller chance of living through the season & becoming mature VS a buck in Jan that's still alive. Obvious issue of time/calendar.
2) Does are often far developed & pregnant in Jan vs not pregnant much of earlier like Oct.
3) Taking them early allows less competition & stress during rut times, fall feeding, etc.
4) Do you beleive there's a point where the animals "deserve a break"? Hunting them in late January is putting added stress to an animal that's been chased for 3.5 months. This very easily could be a stress breaking point of death or simply further physical degradation.

QUESTION FOR YOU.... Would you be ok with season going until March 1? How about all year long?? If not, why not?????

5) Our "advised" quotas or DNR harvest "wishes" have been met by Sometime in dec (on avg) in most counties. The reason our season continues is because Farm Bureau successfully lobbied Brandstad that "DNR recommended goals, accompanied by hunter satisfaction & thorough biological backing" should not be accepted and far greater deer should be shot (according to FB & Brandstad- both biological experts).

6) Killing them in Oct- you know it's a buck- called in as a buck. Highly limited buck harvest for obvious reasons. Killing buck without horns does not require buck tag and goes in face against the limited buck harvest DNR sets.

Then there's the other discussion of this specific rifle season (drives, long shots, bucks that dropped, etc)
I could go on but obviously others can throw other solid biological reasons as well

Last edited:

I do see your point and can appreciate the fact that people enjoy it. I too have enjoyed it in prior years but no longer do it for many reasons but mostly because the levels to me are fine if not a little low for what I prefer...just my opinion...and from reading I'm not the minority.

Is that 1 more deer going to have dessimating effects on the deer population in one year...nope...especially a shed buck. But to me, what is the purpose of shooting a shed buck in late January?! For so many reasons it doesn't make sense and mostly why not let it live so that someone can enjoy harvesting it at its best-with antlers.

To me this is getting a little sidetracked to the real point and that is if the season is still necessary and serving its purpose of reducing the deer numbers to a "healthy" number by harvesting DOES. The shed buck shooting is just icing on the cake when I consider if this season is still necessary. The poll shows that 70% of people agree that this season has served its purpose and is no longer needed...meaning its dropped the population to a more desired level. The difference then between shooting one 10/1 as opposed to late doe with a rifle is that that deer is what drives the deer herd of next year to ensure good hunting numbers for the future. When this was started a few years ago this served a purpose and a few years more of this we could very well be our own demise on poor hunting numbers unless you have large tracts of private land that hold big numbers.

The problem is its not the 1 that your buddy shoots or whatever, its the groups that go out and push places to kill a decent amount and then donate them to HUSH that is the problem...and do that year after year.

I'll never "bash" anyone for having an opinion to keep the season but it really surprises me that after the EHD problem this year and the articles and threads I read about people complaining about low deer numbers that 99% of hunters don't agree that the late doe season needs to go. Maybe people don't realize that the more does we have come January the more deer we have to hunt next year...and many years to come.

Top Bottom