Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzleloader Movement Update

It's just a matter of finding them right now. Tonight I took a buddy to the farm I killed my xmas buck. We went to a part of the field I couldn't see the other day. 8 does and 3 small bucks were feeding in chiseled corn on their way to the alfalfa field I shot my buck in. With about 10 minutes left of shooting time the train started. Not positive how many bucks their were at least 10 and somewhere around 20-30 does. They stayed in the chiseled corn til dark.

Hopefully tomorrow I can sneak out of work early and we'll be setup closer.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a deer that past 2 days. I did see a group of 6 does feeding around 3:45 PM while out driving around.

Went out tonight and only saw 4 doe. I have tons of food in the area along with standing beans but seems like mature deer are waiting till dark. My trail cams are showing the same. Mature deer showing up but not till 6:30 or 7

I had a rut like hunt tonight. 9 bucks 7 small ones 2 mature deer. 5 does and 1 doe was being chased around by 5 bucks. The bigger buck came in scared the little ones out and stayed with the doe. The little bucks were fighting and the other bigger one was chasing them around snort wheezing like crazy. Movement started around 315

Sounds like the population is down around there. :D

I've got the food and maybe 40 acres of timber on a 300 acre farm. Always 20 or so does on the property. In 4 yrs we've taken 1 doe and several bucks. There's a few landowners to the north maybe 1000 acres that gets bowhunted but thats it. Plenty of deer in this pocket. Just the way I like it.:D

We had small bucks chasing pretty good tonight too. Lots of action. I just hope it continues and wasn't the couple inches of snow coming tonight that triggered it.

Last edited:
Things remain tough.... However, I am seeing 20-30 deer or more nightly between several different farms, but very few bucks. In fact, I can count on one hand the amount of bucks I have seen over the last 6-8 days. That includes all bucks, dinks and shooters... The majority of the movement has been on greens, but with this cold front moving in on Sunday should push the deer back to the corn or beans I would guess...

But what do I know... :grin:

This loser hasn't been out.... with this warm weather, I said to heck with it and marked some tsi on a part of my farm that won't mess up my hunting at all. Figure I'll give it a whirl Sunday on, I have the week off. BUT.... I'll be honest- I don't have huge hopes with 40-50 degree highs & a couple cold lows over-night. That's ok though.

I haven't been out much either, but today would be a great day to be out. Some rain earlier, turning to a snow/ice mix in CF and I would assume colder temps back home. Wish I didn't have to work because I feel like tonight would be one of my better chances at putting one on the ground.

I am heading out at 3:30 today to a new property, it doesn't get pushed for gun hunting, but I am still thinking the weather will keep the big guys in bed until after dark.

Seen that.

I bet the deer will like the winds we are supposed to be getting also.

It will be great for sneaking, terrible for natural movement. :(

I dunno...believe it or not, I have had some really good deer movement on super high wind days many times. Now then, staying in the treestand may be problematic. :grin: FWIW, my high wind/good movement experiences have mostly been in November, but I have had a couple/few in late December/early January, as recently as last year.

My theory is that the super high winds get them on their feet out of nervousness. Look in the bottoms of steep ravines/draws.

I saw two does tonight, that was it. Got up and did some walking on a new property just to get a lay of the land on foot.

Sat tonight from about 3 pm to dark. Sat on a cut corn field and was with in shooting distance of a cut bean field. Ended up seeing 12 does and one 1.5 yr old buck. The buck had his nose to the ground! I watched him run these does for probably 20 minutes not stop. It felt like a good night and did see movement, just nothing mature.

Sat lastnight and saw 3 3yr olds 2 2yr olds and 3 dinks. Around 25 deer total. They were out pretty early feeding in picked corn. No big guys.

I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight down in a cedar thicket. won't have much range but the trail cams have a couple of dandys in daylight two days ago

Seems like everyone that is seeing deer are seeing plenty of does and young bucks same as me. My question is where or what are the mature bucks doing at this time because we arent even getting any pics on trail cams either. We are hunting private ground with no pressure at all.

All the deer we are seeing are hitting the beans hard. 0 deer are hitting the corn. Must be the warm temps. They are moving right at dark.

Last night saw 1 shooter at last light. I just didn't have the time to check him out and then get on him, it was just nice to see some bone. Also saw 2 does and 4 fawns that came to standing corn around 4:30. Saw doe and fawn in bean plot that was about 350 yards away.

Tonight I went to another spot near a bedding area and saw 5 does/fawns, no bone.

Top Bottom