Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Learn me on this flasher stuff

Limb Chicken

I like the idea of not spending all day drilling holes. What is a good unit and price for said until? Is vexilar the way to go? Talk to me goose.

Vexilar and Marcom are the best units out there. The Marcom LX-5 is the most powerfull that i have seen. If i had your money Limb i would buy the Marcom LX-5!

I've been looking at flashers for the last couple of weeks! They sure are pricey, but they do catch you fish!

ice fishing without a flasher is just plain tough...... ice fishing and vexilar is like cheese and macaroni..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

the vexilar is my fav, but a marcum wont treat you bad either

The Vexilar FL-20 is kinda their 747 model, but its cool. i got to use one a couple weeks ago. but it is pushing 500 bills...

if you dont mind buying used, you could spend in the 150-250 dollar range you should get a standard model that will work forever..... i dont really see a need for all the bells and whistles on them things, but some guys (Limb) like details.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

but in all honesty, i dont know much about how to run them, just how to read them.... thats why i have friends that ice fish

I really am not that interested in spending 500 on a unit. I want something that can find fish for my son and I to have some fun fishing without the hole drilling. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

There's a flasher called Showdown that I hear some good things about and it's more affordable. Me though, I just drill holes cause I can't see spending that kind of dough to fish farm ponds. If they're not biting I change ponds and I've fished the same ponds for years so I know where they hang out /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Now, if I fished more and different lakes or took some ice fishing trips I'd definitely have a flasher or find a buddy who had one. I think Hummingbird also makes a flasher for less $$$ than a Vex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some fun fishing without the hole drilling. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

Dynamite!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sure Limb, let me know, that is one of the few things I care to video. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You can get a Vexilar FL8 Genz pack for about $270 new. And it fits in a 5 gallon bucket. This is a great "beginners" model. You can use these Vexilars to find depth & fish w/ out drilling a hole. You set the transducer on the ice, pour some water on it to form a good seal, turn it on, set your gain, check the depth & look for fish.

You can find used FL8's in the $150 range. There are 3 for sale on Okaboji.com classifieds. But if you are wanting to use them without drilling a hole, i would suggest getting a more powerful unit. The Fl8's are fine on clear ice up to 10in think. But with the way the ice is now you would have problems getting a good read!

Sounds like a good unit. I am interested to fish some areas I am not that familiar with so these things sound like the ticket.

FL-8 is a great flasher. If I fished more I would have the FL-20. I used a Fl-8 to check depth off of Stony Point a couple of weeks ago, ice was 17inches thick. I no problems checking depth. Getting through the crusty snow was more trouble.

Hummingbird is really advertising alot for thier new flasher. I dont know what it is or anything about it though.

Best fish finder in the world. $9.99 at Walmart /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SeacExtremeDivingMaskSmall.jpg

Top Bottom