Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lease rate

I understand the loss of hunting for free. I've lost hundreds of acres to lease or sell of farm. But to think that just because we help with a few chores or give small gifts in trade does not ever make it a fair trade. I myself leased 1000 acres this year and it was worth every penny. No fouled up hunts by other hunters. Able to control size of deer taken. And no cams or stands stolen. Whether public or private with other hunters on land, you will have headaches. To be upset that landowners have realized the true value of what they're land is worth is crazy. What If a company offered you 10 times your salary to do the same job you do now? Anyone that says they would keep their current employer and less pay is full of it. It's basic supply and demand.

Who are you to say it's not a fair trade? I have two land owners of which both own over 80 acres. I have sole permission to hunt one and the other I'm the only person who gets to even step on the farm (only lets me shed hunt). Now both of these people are 60 + years old, both are still married and have been for over 40yrs. This generation of folks (the dying breed) could give two Sh** less about money and have both actually turned down leases from guys who tried back dooring me for the sole reason of "good ground"

Wanna know how I got permission? I showed up and presented myself in a professional manor. I got permission and never harvested a deer, that following spring I shot a turkey off the farm. I figured with them so graciously giving me permission it was the least I could do was give them something. At the time I was a broke college student and the owners knew this. I walked up to the door with a huge bag of morels. Immediately when the wife opened the door I could see the look of sheer and utter confusion. She asked what I had, and I told her that it was the least I could do and that after shooting a big Tom off their land I picked a bunch of mushrooms, took them home cleaned em up and brought em back. The wife immediately burst into tears and gave me a huge hug ( let me remind you I had just met these kind folks 6 months prior) She explained that her and her husband both love eating morels but with their old age and rugged terrain they have struggled to find em the past couple years and had to resort to buying them. We'll fast forward 6 years, I'm still the only person who has access to their land and they still continue to turn down rich pricks from DM area that think money can money anything.

But I forgot things like that don't matter right Vrod? Doing a great deed like letting a complete stranger on their land knowing anything could happen doesn't happen much anymore. Good deeds are only good deeds if you receive adequate recognition afterwords right? Shooting a Booner only matter if you can take it down to the classic and get your name on the leader board right?

I'm sorry fella but comparing a HOBBY to a CAREER is crazy!

And don't kid yourself, those farmers/landowners who OWN the land know exactly what they have. Those big time guys didn't just fall into owning that property nor did they just one day say hey "maybe some guy will lease this land from me" It was guys with the mentality your explaining that planted that seed in their head. Money is the root of all evil, remember that. I am fortunate enough to know I'd pass the gun over to a handful of buddies and let him shoot that bigger buck. Some of you fellas' I can't say the same about.

I use to have permission to hunt on a great property, it has since been leased by an outfitter for $15, 000 a year. This is definitely not pennies for the landowner. I honestly can't blame the farmer, now he has $15, 000 in fun money.

Why is this happening? Social media, tv shows etc.

Look at shed hunting, getting hard to find good spots, or at least land that has not been scavenged by tresspasser. WHY? Social media again.

And now for the bad news, it is not going to get better!

Does it suck? Dam right it does.

Be thankful for the spots you currently have and don't take them for granted.

I'm like most others, I don't have my own land and have always got permission on some good land, through lots of scouting, knocking on doors and determination. Best of luck to all!!

Definitely not pennies, hell I would take an extra grand for not doing anything, but providing a willing payer an opportunity to hunt, woulbe the easiest grand or $15, 000 I'd ever make!

Good points made in some of the above posts. I am glad to here that there are still areas where a hand shake and a nice gesture can gain access that is what makes Iowa great. Medicine Mans post was dead on on why some chose to lease. I have seen many property's leased due to the owner tired of trying to be nice and allowing access to many then have to settle there squabbles. Another negative of leasing is if management is done and time is spent improving making it more valuable and likely to sell.

I'm almost ashamed of where this sport/hobby is headed. In all honesty if I knew it was going to be the way it is now, my highschool self would of never picked up a bow 10 years ago . Honestly - What do some of you see the future of the average joe of this sport/hobby ? Its sickening compared to what our grandparents were raised on and I'm not even close to 30 years old ! I guess it goes back to what was previously mentioned - money is the root of all evil.

Who are you to say it's not a fair trade? I have two land owners of which both own over 80 acres. I have sole permission to hunt one and the other I'm the only person who gets to even step on the farm (only lets me shed hunt). Now both of these people are 60 + years old, both are still married and have been for over 40yrs. This generation of folks (the dying breed) could give two Sh** less about money and have both actually turned down leases from guys who tried back dooring me for the sole reason of "good ground"

Wanna know how I got permission? I showed up and presented myself in a professional manor. I got permission and never harvested a deer, that following spring I shot a turkey off the farm. I figured with them so graciously giving me permission it was the least I could do was give them something. At the time I was a broke college student and the owners knew this. I walked up to the door with a huge bag of morels. Immediately when the wife opened the door I could see the look of sheer and utter confusion. She asked what I had, and I told her that it was the least I could do and that after shooting a big Tom off their land I picked a bunch of mushrooms, took them home cleaned em up and brought em back. The wife immediately burst into tears and gave me a huge hug ( let me remind you I had just met these kind folks 6 months prior) She explained that her and her husband both love eating morels but with their old age and rugged terrain they have struggled to find em the past couple years and had to resort to buying them. We'll fast forward 6 years, I'm still the only person who has access to their land and they still continue to turn down rich pricks from DM area that think money can money anything.

But I forgot things like that don't matter right Vrod? Doing a great deed like letting a complete stranger on their land knowing anything could happen doesn't happen much anymore. Good deeds are only good deeds if you receive adequate recognition afterwords right? Shooting a Booner only matter if you can take it down to the classic and get your name on the leader board right?

I'm sorry fella but comparing a HOBBY to a CAREER is crazy!

And don't kid yourself, those farmers/landowners who OWN the land know exactly what they have. Those big time guys didn't just fall into owning that property nor did they just one day say hey "maybe some guy will lease this land from me" It was guys with the mentality your explaining that planted that seed in their head. Money is the root of all evil, remember that. I am fortunate enough to know I'd pass the gun over to a handful of buddies and let him shoot that bigger buck. Some of you fellas' I can't say the same about.

I pass the gun more than most fyi. And I still have many 80 acre farms that I hunt and found by knocking on doors 10+yrs ago. I too help with chores and give them meat and gifts. Bottom line is that is all they want. Even though they could get 400-800 bucks. Would I be mad if they did? Nope

I agree with booner. Thankfully the area I hunt isn't known for huge deer and not close to a major city. Leases are pretty much unheard of around here. Deer quality might not be as great as it is in other areas of the state but I wouldn't trade it. I am very grateful to the people that allow me to hunt on their ground and thankful that I can call them my friends. I know there are people that would love to have the opportunity to hunt the ground I am allowed to hunt. I often think about the guys that only have the option of hunting public ground and I have a lot of respect for them. To me they are the real deal. Way more challenges to overcome than hunting private and to continue to do it year in and year out my hat is off to them. That's where the passion is. If it came down to lease ground or not hunt in Iowa I would give it up. It's all about the antlers anymore and it's only going to get worse. Sure everyone likes to harvest big bucks but if it ever comes to the point that I would have to pay to do it I will quit. Plenty of lakes full of walleye out there that no amount of money can touch. That's where I will be.

I agree with booner. Thankfully the area I hunt isn't known for huge deer and not close to a major city. Leases are pretty much unheard of around here. Deer quality might not be as great as it is in other areas of the state but I wouldn't trade it. I am very grateful to the people that allow me to hunt on their ground and thankful that I can call them my friends. I know there are people that would love to have the opportunity to hunt the ground I am allowed to hunt. I often think about the guys that only have the option of hunting public ground and I have a lot of respect for them. To me they are the real deal. Way more challenges to overcome than hunting private and to continue to do it year in and year out my hat is off to them. That's where the passion is. If it came down to lease ground or not hunt in Iowa I would give it up. It's all about the antlers anymore and it's only going to get worse. Sure everyone likes to harvest big bucks but if it ever comes to the point that I would have to pay to do it I will quit. Plenty of lakes full of walleye out there that no amount of money can touch. That's where I will be.
Couldnt agree more. Sadly I think in my lifespan ( and even sadder my kids lifespan) it'll come down to that .

I fully agree with booner. Im more than lucky to hunt some family owned ground and that i will always have.
The other properties i hunt are all on being honest and hardworking. Ive never paid a dime in currency to hunt but you can bet the farm im payed it out in sweat.
Loading hogs at all hrs of the night, hauling grain to a bin in early November to help harvest when everyone else is enjoying their vacation time in a tree...
Alot of these "good old farmers" i met through my grandpa and my dad when we helped them "work" off their hunting and fishing permission.
I know for a fact that a few of these landowners have turned down big money leases in tern for fresh flathead fillets, morels and deer bologna with the occasional weekend of work. If a landowner that allows me to hunt needs something they know my phone is always on and even if im not the most skilled, ill be there.
I cut 3 loads of wood for a landowner last weekend that just had hernia surgery... i know he has a 2 yr supply of wood cut but it made his day! Sometimes that goes alot further than some fella sitting down and writing a check.
If it becomes a pay to play game then ill ride the pine and keep my money but i dont see my personal situation changing

I pass the gun more than most fyi. And I still have many 80 acre farms that I hunt and found by knocking on doors 10+yrs ago. I too help with chores and give them meat and gifts. Bottom line is that is all they want. Even though they could get 400-800 bucks. Would I be mad if they did? Nope

Your tone has changed, interesting :confused:

And no one is saying they'd fault a landowner for making some extra change off his/her land. What I'm getting at is I'd get great pleasure stomping mudd in the guy's face who leased properties out from under other guys. Kind of like, that rich dork comes along and steals your wife, you know your tools are better than his, you know your a better person, family man what have ya; but at the end of the day she leaves your chevy pick up truck for some fella with a Ferrari.

At the end of the day, the only people we can to blame for this leasing craze is ourselves, period. Thankfully I have other hobbies that fill the void deer hunting once did.

Money is not the root of all evil in hunting, antlers are. If it weren't for antlers, there would not be leasing. I have never met a guy that leased ground that was a if it is brown it is down kind of guy. I really don't give a crap what people do anymore. It is their life, they can do what they want.

Money is not the root of all evil in hunting, antlers are. If it weren't for antlers, there would not be leasing. I have never met a guy that leased ground that was a if it is brown it is down kind of guy. I really don't give a crap what people do anymore. It is their life, they can do what they want.

True but if t weren't for antlers the money wouldn't be there either to conserve ground and the species....iIs a double edged sword. For example it will bite me one day around my place. He had to lease to eliminate hunting pressure around us. Two of my leases eliminated 8 additional hunters on 140 acres total.... If I didn't lease it I wouldn't have the quality of hunting I have. I also know there will be a day when somebody with deeper pockets than me comes along. I also have ground where a handshake and help does the job. It is what it is. We all know the game and we all make a choice on whether to participate or not. Neither way is wrong, it's a product of evolving to our surroundings.....

I'm almost ashamed of where this sport/hobby is headed. In all honesty if I knew it was going to be the way it is now, my highschool self would of never picked up a bow 10 years ago . Honestly - What do some of you see the future of the average joe of this sport/hobby ? Its sickening compared to what our grandparents were raised on and I'm not even close to 30 years old ! I guess it goes back to what was previously mentioned - money is the root of all evil.

Why would anyone farm today? Nothing like what or how our grandparents did it.......farmers have higher inputs, taxes, etc. why not make more money if you can

I agree 100%, but why weren't these guys charging this rate 10 years ago? God knows in the past 4 years farmers have made a killing (FACT) and the money they are making off the ground is pennies on the dollar to what they are making off their land through production ag practices. So I'm going to have to say realizing they have an asset isn't the case, but maybe that's just me.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy on this site who has gained access to some unbelievable farms by simply going up and talking to the farmer, being appreciative and lending a helping hand. I'm also positive their are guys who have deep deep pockets on this site who know that with money comes power and therefor why not take the easy way out, pay the money for a lease and then be done with it. They don't see the repercussions that follow as now that area of the county is now all leased up, tons and tons of normal blow Joe guys are now out hunting land. Also makes sense why there is so much of a huge problem with left and trespassing on these "leased" lands. What do you guys expect? You come in and bully everyone else out and just expect guys to sit back and be OK with it? Not saying I agree, but truth is truth and I know that if something doesn't change, my kids won't have anything but public to hunt because everything will be leased by that time.

Booner- are you a farmer

Booner- are you a farmer

Depends what you consider a farmer. Does my family farm 2000 acres?! No that opportunity was taken away from me when my grandfather passed away back on the 90s. However the career path I've choose will allow me to continue working in the field of agriculture. I'll keep my tongue bit until you respond but I have a great idea where your trying to go with this based off my pennies to the dollar comment.

I hope for your sake your a farmer and farm 5000 acres plus (because we all know those are the only guys who own enough "good" land that allows for $20,0000 lease contracts with). I'll gladly crunch some numbers and show ya why I'm saying this!!!

The sad thing about all this, if we bought 500 acres to expand our farm and it was good hunting we would need that extra money. With land prices so high if you dont already own a large amount its hard to pencil. My dad started from nothing and didn't buy a farm til he was in his 40s after renting for 20 yrs. So thru his sacrifice I may have a chance to expand on his 400 when I am 40. But my son is the one who will hopefully see the benefit. If I had a 3 million dollar martage I would hunt state and have to lease my own. Its a crappy situation we are heading into. The only way to stop it is to all stop. But there will always be someone willing to pay. What happened to sharing?

Boomer, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say. But I have to disagree on how simple it is to gain and keep access. 10 years ago I gained a couple farms back to back. Was the only one who hunted there. I cut wood, plowed snow, fixed fence, stopped in to chat often. Enjoyed it all. I made the mistake of inviting someone to gain permission on the same farm as he had no good spots. First one landowner got a new renter, he figured since he rented the tillable it was his farm to run. Made it tough on the landowner and I eventually told him I would go elsewhere to make his life simpler. Then the guy I invited in on the other farm moved next door and invited his friends in and soon I was 4-1 and I was the odd man out. Add that to 3 farms lost to leasing and many farms having a history of longterm hunters how do you break in? I am not one to weasel in on a spot someone else seriously hunts. In a popular hunting area it isnt always an option when you dont have time to drive an hour to hunt.

Boomer, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say. But I have to disagree on how simple it is to gain and keep access. .

I guess I never intended my posts to make it sound like gaining access was easy, because we all know it's not. However, from the stand point of a guy who does this as a sole hobby the opportunity to have "free" land to hunt is much easier concept than others think. The kicker is are guys willing and able to put in the extra time to scout/knock/call/etc to get that permission; even if that ground is only a mere 30 acres. We all know the opportunities that arise in this great state and how if given the chance a whitetail can grow big and old on any ground in any part of the state. So my point was, since I do this as a sole hobby and don't hunt deer to get high fives from people it makes no sense for me to spend my income on leasing land that will ultimately gain me the same pleasure as "free land". The guys who are leasing land are antler sickened and think that if they don't harvest a trophy deer year in and year out then there season wasn't a success. I however get extreme pleasure knowing all the hard work and dedication that goes into actually harvesting a DEER. I mean that's what I consider myself, a DEER hunter. At the end of the day, if another hunter ruins my hunt, o well; I'm healthy, have a job, have a great family, and I'm still living. Some of those things guys take for granite.

If a hunter is not after large bucks, there is plenty of public land that never gets hunted hard. And taking a deer of any size or sex is easy to do on most public land. To expect to use someone else's property for little to no compensation is what is wrong with our country today. Everyone feels entitled to what they have not earned. And many entitled people take advantage of these benefits ruining it for all. ie leaving trash/driving through crop fields/damaging trees with screw in steps/ leaving gates open.

The good old days in Iowa are now as access for the average Joe is only going to get worse every year. The only thing that will stop it is something happening with the deer population. I can move to WA. and hunt 42 millions acres of public ground if it gets to bad.

Top Bottom