Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lease rate

If a hunter is not after large bucks, there is plenty of public land that never gets hunted hard. And taking a deer of any size or sex is easy to do on most public land. To expect to use someone else's property for little to no compensation is what is wrong with our country today. Everyone feels entitled to what they have not earned. And many entitled people take advantage of these benefits ruining it for all. ie leaving trash/driving through crop fields/damaging trees with screw in steps/ leaving gates open.

Your type of mentality is what is wrong with our country today.

Good hard ass working, blue collar folks don't stand a chance, however those guys are the ones who shaped and formed the world we live in. Those hard working blue collar folks are the ones who are over-sea's busting their ass's so we can fight over who shoots bigger deer in Iowa.

Some of you boys need to come back down to reality and remember where you came from. This is Iowa, not New York. Simple living, showing respect, and being thankful for what you have is what the Midwest use to be about.

I imagine its more because we hear more about the nr guys, but it seems like a majority of the people leasing up land here are from Wisconsin. The public lots are full of Wisconsin plates. Never see Illinois, Minnesota here and there. So they ruined there own state and are bleading in here? I once was a nr back in the day. Maybe we need more rules to protect what residents have. No idea what they would be? Shed hunting license? High fence along the river? High nr tag price? Plenty of res screwing it up as well. Do guys see a lot of Missouri plates? Nebraska?

Your type of mentality is what is wrong with our country today.

Good hard ass working, blue collar folks don't stand a chance, however those guys are the ones who shaped and formed the world we live in. Those hard working blue collar folks are the ones who are over-sea's busting their ass's so we can fight over who shoots bigger deer in Iowa.

Some of you boys need to come back down to reality and remember where you came from. This is Iowa, not New York. Simple living, showing respect, and being thankful for what you have is what the Midwest use to be about.

Wow!
I am good old blue collar hard working guy that works sun up to sun down and keeps me from having as much free time to give back to the farmer. So I'm forced to compensate with money instead of labor. And deer hunting is my hobby as well. As with any hobby some people have a different idea of success. Are you saying that if art is my hobby and I take pride in using the best paint and best brushes to create my best work,that someone who chooses to finger paint is the only one who is a hobby painter?
And for the record I only took does on said lease this year and considered my season a huge success. Because hunting is my hobby. There is a lot more to hunting than killing any animal. I did however take a nice trophy off a small piece of land I own. I never posted a pic on any outdoor site because I don't need a high five or pat on the back.

Wow!
I am good old blue collar hard working guy that works sun up to sun down and keeps me from having as much free time to give back to the farmer. So I'm forced to compensate with money instead of labor. And deer hunting is my hobby as well. As with any hobby some people have a different idea of success. Are you saying that if art is my hobby and I take pride in using the best paint and best brushes to create my best work,that someone who chooses to finger paint is the only one who is a hobby painter?
And for the record I only took does on said lease this year and considered my season a huge success. Because hunting is my hobby. There is a lot more to hunting than killing any animal. I did however take a nice trophy off a small piece of land I own. I never posted a pic on any outdoor site because I don't need a high five or pat on the back.

Wow what?!?! Read each and every one of your replies. They are about as clear as mud. Your either for or against leasing, it's fairly simple.

I agree 100%, but why weren't these guys charging this rate 10 years ago? God knows in the past 4 years farmers have made a killing (FACT) and the money they are making off the ground is pennies on the dollar to what they are making off their land through production ag practices. So I'm going to have to say realizing they have an asset isn't the case, but maybe that's just me.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy on this site who has gained access to some unbelievable farms by simply going up and talking to the farmer, being appreciative and lending a helping hand. I'm also positive their are guys who have deep deep pockets on this site who know that with money comes power and therefor why not take the easy way out, pay the money for a lease and then be done with it. They don't see the repercussions that follow as now that area of the county is now all leased up, tons and tons of normal blow Joe guys are now out hunting land. Also makes sense why there is so much of a huge problem with left and trespassing on these "leased" lands. What do you guys expect? You come in and bully everyone else out and just expect guys to sit back and be OK with it? Not saying I agree, but truth is truth and I know that if something doesn't change, my kids won't have anything but public to hunt because everything will be leased by that time.

What's wrong with public ground?

I don't know why people think you need big tracks of land to get on big deer every year. I know many of you have seen my trail camera pics because I'm one of the few that will share them. I get many good bucks every year. How many acres of timber do I hung over the four properties? Roughy 33 acres of timber and 30 of them are on one property. And it's not big timber its creek bottom land. Will I ever lease land? No, I don't see the need to. Have I had to put up with other hunters yes. Have I had a chance at a 200+ deer. Yes.

You guys can keep fighting over those timber properties, I'll keep finding the la d where the pressured deer go to get away. We are all shooting ourselves in the foot. Farmers are plowing in habitat, our demand is getting higher, simple supply and demand curve. The more we want it the higher the prices. I really don't see the point in leasing land. Good hard work on the weekends or the evenings here and there goes a long ways along with a basket of summer sausage and cheese at the end of them with a thank you. You would be surprised how many people will let you hunt your land if you just go up and ask. The main property I hunt now, only let me and another guy ( who hasn't hunted the last two years) because we ask early every year, we tell them what months we will be there, and if we bring some one else onto the property we ask permission first.. They won't let gun hunters hunt anymore for the main reason one person comes and asks and then next thing they know they have 5 trucks at their property.

RESPECT GOES A LONG WAY

Nothing, but the more than are forced of private thru leasing the more public will get pounded. I hunt public and enjoy the challenge most days. But once in a while its a rough day when you get people walking around you all morning or talking on the phone at daybreak. Its expected, but I feel people let ethics fall away a bit when on public. Gives an anything goes feeling sometimes. Makes for a different set of challenges that I relish most days. Anyone can kill a giant on 500 acres of leased, food plot filled private property. Despite what Lee Lakosky thinks

Your type of mentality is what is wrong with our country today. Good hard ass working, blue collar folks don't stand a chance, however those guys are the ones who shaped and formed the world we live in. Those hard working blue collar folks are the ones who are over-sea's busting their ass's so we can fight over who shoots bigger deer in Iowa. Some of you boys need to come back down to reality and remember where you came from. This is Iowa, not New York. Simple living, showing respect, and being thankful for what you have is what the Midwest use to be about.

Newsflash the world is changing whether we like it or not!

:confused:

Where do I once say anything about public land; public ground is irrelevant when it comes to this discussion. The problem at hand is leasing has gotten out of control. Your right, if someone loses a spot there's always good quality public they can hunt. But that's not the point, the point is money and leasing has allowed guys the option of they don't like to share they'll just dig deeper into their pockets and oust the little man. Once this wildfire has started the entire neighborhood surrounding those leases is now extremely vulnerable to become part of that "wildfire" per say mentality of times get difficult so I'll just pay the farmer to keep Joe and his boys out; that's what's wrong with the situation.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
With the current trend in farming, fewer and larger producers this situation will continue. There are more absentee landowners than 20 years ago (children of farmers who have inherited the land, investors) who have little connection to the land or community. I understand why they would choose to lease. Control access and in turn liability while making additional money. Not that I like this, but we are not going to change it, in my opinion.
Many of these larger producers are more business and financially driven than operators years prior, look at their operations as more of a business than a way of life. Some see deer as a "financial burden" on their operations which is a whole other topic and a bigger problem I believe. I would rather see them lease than have the "kill em all" mentality that seems to be the driving principle with Farm Bureau lobby. Directed by a small but influential group of farmers that have been successful at drastically reducing our deer herd. The guys willing to lease will manage the herd and try improving the habitat to wildlife's benefit which we can all gain from.
It does make it more difficult to find private land to hunt which stinks for a lot of us hunters. But dropping off treats, helping with labor around the farm is a form of payment also(I know some of you will say a thanks but...). It does seem like a better way, but this is not the cycle we are now in. If I have to spend a few bucks to continue to play I will do so, I have already paid to go on fishing trips and guided hunts...and love hunting and my time with family and friends in the great outdoors way to much to quit.

I too don't understand why anyone should feel obligated to grant free access to something that they own. I have a lot ground that I hunt that was simply granted by a handshake, but I don't turn up my nose when someone tells me no, or another person leases ground to show the owner that they have some skin in the game.

It's frustrating no doubt, but there sure are a lot more bow hunters in the country side today, and we all want our own little undisturbed slice of heaven. I don't think I can shake my head at the guy who busts his balls at his day job to pay for what he wants. All of your Midwest principles point towards that being his right. I can assure you that you don't have to be digging ditches to be a hard worker.

I too don't understand why anyone should feel obligated to grant free access to something that they own. I have a lot ground that I hunt that was simply granted by a handshake, but I don't turn up my nose when someone tells me no, or another person leases ground to show the owner that they have some skin in the game.

It's frustrating no doubt, but there sure are a lot more bow hunters in the country side today, and we all want our own little undisturbed slice of heaven. I don't think I can shake my head at the guy who busts his balls at his day job to pay for what he wants. All of your Midwest principles point towards that being his right. I can assure you that you don't have to be digging ditches to be a hard worker.

Gundog.. I tend to agree with you. I personally do not plan to lease but I can't fault a person who works hard and uses that money to enjoy what little free time they have. Land leasing for the purpose of hunting is all part of free market capitalism and thus I support it completely. I do think states with little public land like Iowa could probably do more to acquire or secure access to lands using funds contributed by sportsmen.

I imagine its more because we hear more about the nr guys, but it seems like a majority of the people leasing up land here are from Wisconsin. The public lots are full of Wisconsin plates. Never see Illinois, Minnesota here and there. So they ruined there own state and are bleading in here? I once was a nr back in the day. Maybe we need more rules to protect what residents have. No idea what they would be? Shed hunting license? High fence along the river? High nr tag price? Plenty of res screwing it up as well. Do guys see a lot of Missouri plates? Nebraska?

I'm not sure Wisconsin ruined it's state, they do have two or three counties in the top 10 B & C all time, including #1 overall.

Minnesota yes, the DNR has not done anything to help change the November gun season and that hurts MN.

Iowa is good because they do not allow gun seasons in November. The rest of the little factors help, but that is really why. All of this of course, results in higher lease prices.

I honestly don't know why anybody leases land in Iowa. There are better opportunities on public land than probably 80+% of the land being leased. I'm talking bow season. Gun season its a crap shoot.

I honestly don't know why anybody leases land in Iowa. There are better opportunities on public land than probably 80+% of the land being leased. I'm talking bow season. Gun season its a crap shoot.

More people having to hunting public ground will make your hunting better?

They made no effort in Wisconsin to step back and ease up on the deer population. They shoot tons of deer because it's tradition and along with other natural issues it has caused many to not even see deer. Sure there are leased up and managed areas like buffalo county that turn out big deer but overall its bad. If it was so great they wouldn't drive 7 hours to shed hunt here. The only reason Minnesota hasn't seen that fate is people there are smarter :)

I don't see how people paying their neighbors etc. for access to land can help the sense of "community". I'm happy I can access pretty much as much land as I want on a handshake through friendship. I'm not saying I expect it but when cash starts changing hands for simple courtesies, simple courtesies start disappearing.

Before anyone attacks me, understand that I leave stands up, blinds out, cams unlocked and never have had a problem and I have 0 acres of exclusive ground. In a more cutthroat environment I am not sure that would be the case.

Booner, you should move north. lol

I have spent time in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Its like stepping back in time a bit because its laid back and not so uptight and driven by money. Great place. The older generation landowner here is more that way,65+ its a dying way of life. Not sure why there is such a huge push to get more people hunting, not that I am against more people. I just dont think there is a shortage. Maybe my sons and daughter will have it easier.

Top Bottom