Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License Increase

Bowtech, when I first started hunting in Iowa it was not this expensive. A NR anysex was roughly half of what it is today. Many NR landowners here had their tag fees doubled overnight. I've said this before, the Iowa DNR and legislature took advantage of the popularity of Iowa hunting elevated by resident video producers like the Drury's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, etc. to increase NR fees. I don't mind paying but the current price is out of line.

Even with the proposed price increases for resident hunters it's still dirt cheap.
Non residents are overpaying as is.

Bowtech

You cannot simply throw on blinders and scream that NR hunters are to blame for everything. Your response is completely over the top out of line. Your arguments did not make sense yet you continue to yell and point the fingers at everyone who doesn't live in Iowa. NR landowners are not bad people, just like Iowa residents are not bad people. A few rotten apples from both sides have created a virtual civil war in your state.

I've never hunted Iowa and I do not own land in Iowa. I would certainly like to hunt the state and I'm willing to pay to do so. I'm not complaining about the NR price. I'm saying raising it when it's already the highest whitetail tag available doesn't make sense. Other, better options exist.

Maximum fines for poaching. Make the minimum 5,000 per deer period.

Stop giving away 50% of the governs tag proceeds.

Sell a lifetime license package for 50,000 to anyone.(yes the rich would buy it as opposed to 10,000 for every year they didn't draw a tag)

Also what about developing a program to work with NR hunters to help them manage their ground in off years.

Honestly that's the biggest joke of all is someone owning land and not being able to get a tag. Common sense tells us that. There is no argument that makes sense here. Don't tell them if they don't like it to go buy somewhere else, blah blah blah.

Like I've said no matter what Iowa does the NR hunters are not going away. Treating them like red headed stepchildren will only make it worse. In the quest for big deer ppl are still going to pay and that ground is still going to sit until someone extends an olive branch.

I think reality must set in for some of you guys, most get it on here. It took me some time to realize the scheme of things as well. Talk to a realtor in southern Iowa, ask them how many clients that they are picking up at the airport to buy land in Iowa. It is not 1 or 2, it is hundreds!! One realtor told me in a two hour time frame he has 25-30 e-mails and texts from mostly NR.

I used to push for more buck tags, kinda got away from that now. Now all I am asking as a NR landowner is let me shoot a few does every year, very simple, won't hurt you or anyone else at all. How about a youth tag or two, doesn't have to be cheap, but at least not $300+.

Some on this site think by limiting the tags you will keep NR out, it is not happening at all, the NR are coming buying farms, then later in life becoming residents, or waiting for 2-3 years to get a tag.

I think reality must set in for some of you guys, most get it on here. It took me some time to realize the scheme of things as well. Talk to a realtor in southern Iowa, ask them how many clients that they are picking up at the airport to buy land in Iowa. It is not 1 or 2, it is hundreds!! One realtor told me in a two hour time frame he has 25-30 e-mails and texts from mostly NR.

Some on this site think by limiting the tags you will keep NR out, it is not happening at all, the NR are coming buying farms, then later in life becoming residents, or waiting for 2-3 years to get a tag.

I'm not anti-NR, buy here, move here or wait 2-3 years, no problem.

What never ceases to amaze me is the NR who buys here KNOWING the current regulations/restrictions, then stamps their feet about how unfair it is and it MUST be changed, in their opinion. Somehow I have little sympathy for these folks. If I was buying ground out of state, I'd damsure look into the regulations and it would weigh heavily on my decision on whether I could live with the current structure in place.

Who said life is fair?

I'm not anti-NR, buy here, move here or wait 2-3 years, no problem.

What never ceases to amaze me is the NR who buys here KNOWING the current regulations/restrictions, then stamps their feet about how unfair it is and it MUST be changed, in their opinion. Somehow I have little sympathy for these folks. If I was buying ground out of state, I'd damsure look into the regulations and it would weigh heavily on my decision on whether I could live with the current structure in place.

Who said life is fair?
I bought when they offered NR archery tags OTC, they took that away, so that argument does not apply to me!

You guys are right that everyone knows the rules going in and you just have to deal with them.

My gripe isn't with the current system, but with the notion that it needs strengthened against NRs and the poor treatment in general terms of your fellow hunter.

We are on the same team folks. I used to treat my neighbors like crap and then I realized Terri’s previously expressed wishes or what she would have wanted considering her perspectives, even if her parents were in disagreement ( isn't going to fix anything. In fact it just makes it worse. Now that I've embraced working with them, even if I don't agree, the relationships and hunting have dramatically improved.

hoosierhunter said:
You guys are right that everyone knows the rules going in and you just have to deal with them.

My gripe isn't with the current system, but with the notion that it needs strengthened against NRs and the poor treatment in general terms of your fellow hunter.

We are on the same team folks. I used to treat my neighbors like crap and then I realized Terri’s previously expressed wishes or what she would have wanted considering her perspectives, even if her parents were in disagreement ( isn't going to fix anything. In fact it just makes it worse. Now that I've embraced working with them, even if I don't agree, the relationships and hunting have dramatically improved.

I don't think anybody is treating anyone like crap. The NRs might have it a little rough with the tag restrictions, but seriously it's all part of hunting this state and the states precious resource. You want to hunt Iowa and your not a resident wait your 3 years. Easy as that. There's already a loophole during the shotgun seasons. Take advantage of it and you could hunt here every year. Maybe NRs should boycott hunting Iowa. If hunting Iowa is so bad and so expensive then why on gods green earth would you want to hunt here or own ground here that's what I don't get and nobody seems to have an answer to that. I've been putting in for a tag in a trophy mule deer unit in Colorado for fours years and haven't got drawn. Im not going to sign up on a Colorado forum and complain about it because that's their regulations and they were made for a reason. I also have no complaints about NR coming here and hunting. I think it's great you guys get the chance to come experience it. Even if it is every 3 years. Some of you guys need to take a step back and look at the big picture. You think it's a good idea to open the flood gates and let NRs hunt the state every year? Even if they own ground? That's crazy. I think you should just be fortunate with what you have, and if upsets you that much just pack your things and move here, then you can hunt this state anytime you want. I know, I know, move here blah, blah, blah...... But you want your cake and eat it too.

It is just too bad that we could not have shot a doe or two on the land that I own instead of lying dead in creek bed due to EHD, would be a few more dollars in the Iowa DNR coffer as well.

Bowtech, when I first started hunting in Iowa it was not this expensive. A NR anysex was roughly half of what it is today. Many NR landowners here had their tag fees doubled overnight. I've said this before, the Iowa DNR and legislature took advantage of the popularity of Iowa hunting elevated by resident video producers like the Drury's, Kisky's, Lakosky's, etc. to increase NR fees. I don't mind paying but the current price is out of line.

Drury's live in Missouri. Own a house or two in Iowa so they can claim residency and get resident/landowner tags. But ultimately, they are NR beating the system.

If they need the money so bad they should start cracking down on poachers and fining them more. Just my two cents

Maybe they could catch more poachers if they would actually come out and check things when you call them about someone poaching. Not the case when the poachers are buddy buddy with the CO!

Hardwood11 said:
It is just too bad that we could not have shot a doe or two on the land that I own instead of lying dead in creek bed due to EHD, would be a few more dollars in the Iowa DNR coffer as well.

I understand your point of view and agree that it's too bad a guy like yourself can't get a few doe tags every year. But you also have to understand an Iowa residents point of view on the subject. Im an iowa resident and this is how i look at it. Im not saying every resident agrees. Very few are fortunate enough to own their own ground. Most have to scratch and claw to get a decent piece of property to hunt. Now you allow NRs to hunt every year that's going to attract more NR buyers and what good does that do for Iowa residents? They get to look at more no trespassing signs? It would get to the point that the NRs have a better opportunity than the people that live in the state, work in the state, and spend money in the state year round. I've been fortunate enough to hunt different places around the country but nothing compares to what I have here at home and anything that would jeopardize that I'm against.

I understand your point of view and agree that it's too bad a guy like yourself can't get a few doe tags every year. But you also have to understand an Iowa residents point of view on the subject. Im an iowa resident and this is how i look at it. Im not saying every resident agrees. Very few are fortunate enough to own their own ground. Most have to scratch and claw to get a decent piece of property to hunt. Now you allow NRs to hunt every year that's going to attract more NR buyers and what good does that do for Iowa residents? They get to look at more no trespassing signs? It would get to the point that the NRs have a better opportunity than the people that live in the state, work in the state, and spend money in the state year round. I've been fortunate enough to hunt different places around the country but nothing compares to what I have here at home and anything that would jeopardize that I'm against.

Hey I agree I don't want 30,000 tags either, but will NR fly in for a doe tag? I'm in a little different situation. I live in MN, can get up at 5:30 am and be hunting by noon in Iowa.

I understand the access issue/no trespassing signs. It is your state and you deserve many major advantages as a Resident. I'm thinking by adding a landowner doe tag or two, it would not increase NR land sales, but I could be wrong??

Bowtech you are arguing apples and oranges here. The NR every 3 years is fine, the price is fine. Nobody is debating that.

Being close minded, attacking anyone who doesn't live in Iowa. That's the problem I have.

Just be thankful your not like my home state(IN) and allowing 4-8 does per county with no aggregate limit. Having a gun season that runs from Nov17-jan6th with only a week break. NR tags are unlimited and only 150 bucks. Allowing crossbows all season. Allowing online check in.

Now that will make you hit your head against the wall!

hoosierhunter said:
Bowtech you are arguing apples and oranges here. The NR every 3 years is fine, the price is fine. Nobody is debating that.

Being close minded, attacking anyone who doesn't live in Iowa. That's the problem I have.

Seriously? This whole thread is about license increase and I was only sharing my point of view on the tag restrictions because hardwood asked what it would hurt to let him shoot a few does.
Please explain whom I'm attacking.

Top Bottom