Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License Increase

This topic is best broken down in three issues
1- The clearing of land and reclaiming crp .This is more a function of land prices and the need for expenses to lower Gaines . Also not to be over looked is with little value as hunting land from a lease standpoint timber/rec land would have no value unless cleared for pasture or crop land.The real issue driving this is revenue based crop insurance.
2- Price of license ,this depends if this should be based on supply and demand. Should they double the price and sell half as many or make it available to all at current prices. this could work for both residents and nr. I would gladly pay double to have half the completion. But that is just me.
3- Nonresident landowners, I have been one my self and it does suck but I knew the rules when I bought here .So draw when u can party hunt when you cannot most people don't know that you are limited only by how many people are in your party .I have nonresident friends legally kill 3 bucks a year on there own farm in 2nd gun. Iowa is a place where the rules have lots of loopholes if the state gives celeb tags then party hunting should be considered ethical.

Hardwood11 said:
Where do you read that? I found 7 dead deer due to EHD...you'd rather see that than let me get a simple doe tag. Doe numbers are high where I hunt.

Quote on EHD..."dense deer herds help spread and support the EHD virus better than low sparse herds"

You're going to have to explain that to me my understanding is that EHD does not pass from dear to dear but it's passed by a midge that bites the dear.

If dear numbers are greater than yes you're going to have more dear dead just because they're more dear going to the water where the midges are.

Killing more does when they are already below management goals does not make sense.

Please ignore my speech to text typos...

Where do you read that? I found 7 dead deer due to EHD...you'd rather see that than let me get a simple doe tag. Doe numbers are high where I hunt.

Quote on EHD..."dense deer herds help spread and support the EHD virus better than low sparse herds"

EHD is not spread from one deer to the next. Simply put, if they are bitten by the midge they have a chance of dying. You are thinking CWD.

Now, back to the license issue, I am find with a small increase personally, I would like to make the drawing odds harder to discourage out of state lander owners. If you can purchase hundreds of thousands of acres you can at least move into these rurual towns and help support these poor communities.

You're going to have to explain that to me my understanding is that EHD does not pass from dear to dear but it's passed by a midge that bites the dear.

If dear numbers are greater than yes you're going to have more dear dead just because they're more dear going to the water where the midges are.

Killing more does when they are already below management goals does not make sense.

Please ignore my speech to text typos...

Fully understand EHD. If you research EHD it is worse in high deer number areas. My area, my farm has high deer numbers. Despite EHD I saw 40+ deer in an afternoon on opening day of shotgun season and it was 70 degrees.

Milk River Montana nailed by EHD, extreme high deer numbers, not a coincidence.

EHD in SD high numbers of dead deer in counties with highest deer numbers, some counties with low or normal deer numbers no cases of EHD

EHD is not spread from one deer to the next. Simply put, if they are bitten by the midge they have a chance of dying. You are thinking CWD.

Now, back to the license issue, I am find with a small increase personally, I would like to make the drawing odds harder to discourage out of state lander owners. If you can purchase hundreds of thousands of acres you can at least move into these rurual towns and help support these poor communities.

Sky--no I'm not? Do some research find out which counties were hit with EHD the hardest. Direct correlation to high deer numbers.

Question sky? Was the drought only south of Des Moines this year?

Last edited:
I'm fine with a little bit of a price increase i guess. however, i'm not a fan at how this sport we all love is becoming more and more of a rich man's game. I think everyone should be able to afford to hunt.

Sky--no I'm not? Do some research find out which counties were hit with EHD the hardest. Direct correlation to high deer numbers.

EHD is not passed from deer to deer and the stats showing higher numbers of dead deer in areas of higher deer populations is very logical. But now a question? If you have an area with 100 deer and the midges bite 20%then 20 deer will probably die. Now another area with 10 deer and again midges bite 20% and now 2 deer will probably die. Which area is effected the most, the one with high density or the one with few deer to start with. Also consider that areas with lower populations would also have far fewer potential targets for the midges so the percentage of actual deer bitten could be more like 50% because there are fewer to choose from, so areas of low populations could be much more effected.:way:

EHD is not passed from deer to deer and the stats showing higher numbers of dead deer in areas of higher deer populations is very logical. But now a question? If you have an area with 100 deer and the midges bite 20%then 20 deer will probably die. Now another area with 10 deer and again midges bite 20% and now 2 deer will probably die. Which area is effected the most, the one with high density or the one with few deer to start with. Also consider that areas with lower populations would also have far fewer potential targets for the midges so the percentage of actual deer bitten could be more like 50% because there are fewer to choose from, so areas of low populations could be much more effected.:way:

I can't answer your question, but if you research EHD you will clearly find a pattern of significant outbreaks in areas of high deer populations. You will also find a lot of (0) deaths due to EHD in Counties within Iowa---counties---that do not have many deer....maybe the drought didn't hit/midges were not present in those counties?

There is a county by county breakdown on the DNR website

Either way my point is

I will stay on topic, but again EHD is not spread from deer to deer again, the deer must be bitten by the midge. The direct correlation is any place that has a high density of deer will see more dead deer (more deer using the same water hole/creek/river will then be bit).

If we have similar drought characteristics I would suspect that we see even a wider spread problem.

Back to the topic, I would like to see increases paid to farmers that exhibit good land and resources management. Make it just as attractive to put in crops as it is to put in habitat/CRP, etc.

I will stay on topic, but again EHD is not spread from deer to deer again, the deer must be bitten by the midge. The direct correlation is any place that has a high density of deer will see more dead deer (more deer using the same water hole/creek/river will then be bit).

If we have similar drought characteristics I would suspect that we see even a wider spread problem.

Back to the topic, I would like to see increases paid to farmers that exhibit good land and resources management. Make it just as attractive to put in crops as it is to put in habitat/CRP, etc.

Exactly my point, more deer never said it spread from deer to deer?

Top Bottom