Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

license question

I'll explain this a little bit so you can get your head around the tags and how they work here in IA.

First off, no one screwed you out of a buck other than yourself not reading the rules first. The IA DNR website tells you everything you would have needed to know. So, lets move on now:

If you are a resident and not a land owner you can shoot two bucks a year. One with a bow and one with a gun. We don't have 'buck' tags they are any-sex meaning you could fill with a doe if you wished.

So, first thing to do is buy your statewide anysex bow tag. Then follow that with the antlerless bow tags you'd like. Then, you can choose from early muzz (theres a quota), shotgun 1 or 2, or late muzzy for your gun tag. You can only shoot one buck out of those seasons, so choose wisely. You can also get doe tags for those season as well. Those go by counties and quotas. The only season that has an any-sex quota is early muzz.

So, for next year think about what tags you'd like before you purchase. You can also use your bow during early or late muzzy. Handguns are legal during shotgun and late muzz as well.

I don't think you can use your bow during early muzzy.

You can use archery equipment during both muzzys'. Archery is closed during shotgun season

Last edited:
you can use your bow during everything except for the shotgun seasons, but you have to have a bow tag.

You can use archery equipment during both muzzys'. Archery is closed during shotgun season

This is not correct. Please refer to page 25 of this link for details...
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

Although you can use archery equipment during the early muzzy season it is only because the archery season and the early muzzy season overlap. So you would need an archery tag AND an early season muzzy tag to be in compliance.

You need to use archery equipment for whatever archery tag you have and a muzzleloader only, (OR a muzzleloading pistol), for your early muzzy tag. (You can use your bow during late muzzy season, in lieu of your muzzy, but not true during the early muzzy season.)

Rifles are legal during shotgun season right? As long as you have a tag or know someone who has one.
Holy crap people, does anyone read the fricken regs anymore?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Daver, I think you might be mistaken. You would only need a bow tag to hunt with a bow during the early muzz season. Bow season closes during both shotgun seasons. Then re-opens for the remainder,

you can use your bow during everything except for the shotgun seasons, but you have to have a bow tag.

Not quite...

You can hunt all you want during late muzzy with a bow and not have a bow tag.

You can use your bow to fill a Late Muzzy tag, but you can't use your bow to fill an Early Muzzy tag.

Daver pretty much nailed it. Page 25 of the regs would be a good place to start if you are struggling with this.

The regs are not nearly as hard to understand as people make them. bkrrtnps, no body screwed you out of a buck tag, as others have said you should have consulted the regs, the people running the tag stations are not paid to be versed in the regs.

Well now I'm really confused because the guys at the co-op said I didn't need a tag to shoot deer. Are you guys telling they are wrong?

Guys this is simple. Look in the hunting regs and there is a table that shows the acceptable weapons for each season.

As for the argument that you can use a bow to harvest an animal for your early muzzleloader tag, this is inaccurate according to the table. For early muzz you can take an animal with a muzzleloader or handgun. For late muzzy, you can take the animal with bow, muzzy, or handgun. During the shotgun seasons you can take an animal with muzzy, handgun, or shotgun. Simple as it gets. Here's the link.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

The old cashier lady at the Casey's General Store on the corner told me if I bought her a 6er of Mad Dog 20/20 and pack of Pall-Malls she'd give me her landowner rifle buck tag for Marion county. She'd even let me hunt her ground. It's really not "her" ground but her .5 acre lot where her trailer is. It butts up to the neighbors 500 acres of timber and hell they only hunt bow season so they won't care. To top it off she's giving me a couple bushel of corn to put in front of my stands but she did say not to hunt over the corn during the rifle season only the bow season when it's legal. If I run out of tags she told me that I can always just go get my Buck-Wide, Any-State tag later in the year if I need to. When I was walking out of the store she says hey wait you almost forgot your copy of the huntin roools. If nothin else she said it makes a pretty good fly swatter or decent butt wipe if your in a pinch but be careful cause its made from re-cycled paper and is bio-degradable. It's amazing the amount of useful info this lady has.

If Top Dog at the DNR is up for election next week, I'm writing 'Yote's name in. He makes the hunting rules so simple that everyone can understand them. :way:

o wow, i didnt realize that you could shoot a deer with a bow with a late muzzy tag! cool, learn somthin new every day! thanks

Top Bottom