Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lone Wolf with Cabelas Back Pack

Those of you who use the lone wolf stand and sticks, do you take the stand down every single time you are finished hunting for the day and then set it back up the next day? I'm sweating like crazy whenever I set up a stand. Is the lone wolf that much easier. If so I'm all for buying one as I hunt quite a bit of public property where Im not comfortable leaving a stand up. How long does it usually take to set up?

I can get up a tree faster with the sticks and stand than I can with a climber and it seems with less effort. I would get one if I were you. I plan to buy another for next fall in case I get to an area and want to leave the stand for a couple of days. Easiest stand on the market to deal with and the quietest in my opinion.

Anyone use "with or w/out" EZ hang hook & V-bracket the same day you put the stand up & take down after hunt? If I understand this right-the V brakcet is only for twist/curve trees & not the straight ones like you do with climber?

i use the v bracket all the time regardless and do not ue the hanging hook. i think in the future i might start using it but it's not that difficult to go without. this stand and climbing sticks are so much simpler than my climber and allow me to be much more versatile. i'm able to hunt areas i never would throw up a permanant hang on stand.

I also use the V bracket but I'll say this about it, 100 percent off the time the bracket is not making contact with the tree after I put my weight on it. I believe I'll be trying the easy hang hook. I stayed away from it up to now because I thought the seat would swing up and down easier with the V bracket. I expect the easy hang hook pulls away from the tree with weight on the platform similarly, allowing the seat to be put up and down with ease. Can you hook user verify this thought.

you just need to make sure you get the top versabutton strap tight enough. works like a champ. i think i'm going to use Rack's cable hanging idea and see how that toes. the problem i had with using the hook with or without the v bracket is that the seat would make horrible noise when i put it up and down.

LIMB CHICKEN, WHAT KIND OF CLIMBING STICK IS THAT. HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET.

those are the lone wolf climbing sticks and they work awesome. depending on how tall you are regulates how high you get. i'm about 6'2" or so and with 3 sticks i can get about 17 foot up. i stick one screw in tree step at the base of the tree and that gives me my little bump and i can generally get up to or around 20 foot. the spaces inbetween are a little big but not that big of deal. 4 sticks get you plenty high and that's what most guys use. i'm thinking that i'll be breaking down and getting that 4th stick as soon as i can. good luck.

Hey Ironwood,

You are exactly right!! The hook does pull away from the tree some and the seat goes up and down with no problem. I only use the hanging hook and a strap on the lower versa button lower on the stand for increased stability. Very solid and quiet.
waytogo.gif
.... I like the hook because I can put in on the tree easily and then just hookup the stand rather than trying to hold it all in place while trying to tighten the straps.

I agree with ease of use cornfed. However, I use 3 straps to hang the LW. One with the hook, one with the top versa button and one with the bottom versa button. Is this necessary??? Probably not as they are by far the safest stand on the market. However for the extra strap I carry and extra min it takes to hook another strap on - I am using it.

I also have the V - bracket on the stand. I think it helps hold my sticks in place and hold the tree a bit. JMO.

Ironwood,

I also had trouble with the v-bracket coming away from the tree when I put all of my weight on the stand. I consider myself a pretty strong guy and tightened the strap on the versa-button as much as I could but the v-bracket still came awaw from the tree. The ez-hook also comes away from the tree but not to the degree the v-bracket does. Just my findings. I personally can get the hook up and hang the stand alot quicker than trying to hang the stand itself with the v-bracket.

If you are having problems with the v bracket coming away from the tree, you are not setting the stand correctly. Make sure the seat is in the up position, place the strap to the tree as tightly as you can, lift the platform up so that it is not engaging the tree, tighten the strap more if you can and you should be able to with the platform up, then slide the stand (if possible) toward the ground until it will not budge anymore. Then place the lower strap on and tighten. THEN PUT the platform down. The cam action the teeth on the platform have with snug it up and the stand will not move. I weigh 170 lbs and I can get out on the front of the stand and bounce and the v bracket will not pull away from the tree. Practice this at ground level then take it up the tree hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are having problems with the v bracket coming away from the tree, you are not setting the stand correctly. Make sure the seat is in the up position, place the strap to the tree as tightly as you can, lift the platform up so that it is not engaging the tree, tighten the strap more if you can and you should be able to with the platform up, then slide the stand (if possible) toward the ground until it will not budge anymore. Then place the lower strap on and tighten. THEN PUT the platform down. The cam action the teeth on the platform have with snug it up and the stand will not move. I weigh 170 lbs and I can get out on the front of the stand and bounce and the v bracket will not pull away from the tree. Practice this at ground level then take it up the tree hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes, and yes. good reply shredder, i've been meaning to say the same thing but kept putting it off. when the platform is up and you strap the sucker on tight there should be no problems with the v bracket coming off the tree when that platform comes down. in fact, i've had to loosen things to get the stand to work properly.

Thanks Shredder & Muddy. I get the picture & it does make sense. I think I'll order 5 hang hooks to leave 'em on the tree at all different spots. When a wind's in my favor I go to one of the spot & easily connect the stand on the hook with platform/seat up with the bungee cord secured to the tree so that way I can work on the lower strap. Hasslefree & easiest task to do I think. Also I was thinking about leaving all the screw in steps along with hook than using sticks-seem like alot more work if I do that on each of 5 trees. I will still use the sticks only on a property that has heavy pressure & a public land as well.

Great post Shredder. I agree with Muddy - if you put the stand on like shredder described and give the lower versa button a really good pull, before you can get the stand level I will just about bet you will have to loosen the bottom strap once you start putting the platform down. Practice a couple times at ground level in the yard and then you should be good to go. You can order more straps and hooks from LW, but as easy as they are to put on I didn't think it was worth the extra cost. One thing I did do was to tie the hook on to the strap that I use it with on one side that way I don't lose that little guy. I could never remember which pocket in my pack I was putting it in. Now it is always where it needs to be.

Top Bottom