Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for plot ideas/help!!

Depends on how much his farmer is willing to do. The biggest problem is the timing of the R'up. To get a decent kill in the spring, you have to wait until things are really green. If you wait until that works well, you are getting to late for a good oat crop and way too late for clover. Why do all that tillage in the spring if you aren't going to plant anything till fall? Then you might as well just spray a couple times in the summer, BURN it off in Aug.( a little tricky if we are in a dry spell) and fall plant the whole thing with a no-till drill.Believe me, most farmers want to have their tillage stuff cleaned up and put away when they are done planting their own crops. Unless he's a relative or you have some way to bribe him?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering for Andy's sake here (Don't want him to burn himself with a fire) Just looking out for you Andy.
I have not picked on you about the opossum but I am sure you do not want to be in another legend's forum.
</div></div>

C-mon...where's your sense of adventure?! Barbecued possum anyone?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's always better to mow or burn before no-tilling beans and killing the sod with RUP but in this case it could be done with out either if niether was an option.

Turkeyriver has pretty much covered all the possibles including the fact that a large scale farmer isn't going to want to monkey around dragging equipment around during planting season let alone in the off season.

Always best to learn as much as you can and be prepared to tackle what ever items you can do yourself (like burning, spraying etc.)

Andy could have hired a proffesional trapper to take care of his "pesky wildlife" problem but he figured it out with a "little help from his friends" (such as they are... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ) and I have nothing but the utmost faith that he can do just as well at foodplottin'...providing he can put up with a little good natured "ribbing" when he starts a cross country wildfire! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The burn thing does scare me! I will be honest! I do not need to have my second legend be full of pictures of me covered in Smoke and running 5 gallon buckets of water to my field! These guys would have a hay day with me on that!!
But I think we will discuss the burn thing in the days prior to me attempting it!! I can see the Head lines now!!!!!!

I have pretty good support from my farmer! He is pretty willing to help! I will be talking to him this weekend to see if he has any of the above mentioned equipment to help! He farms about 800 acres and seems to have some free time!!! I did discuss plots with him and he thinks I am retarded but is willing to help! He always asks why I would want to plant food for them when they are eating half his corn every year!

I would really like to get rye and oats into this field! I think the rye will be a great thing for late season(so I am reading) and I like the idea of the oats and AWPs for early candy! The beans sound like a great tool as well!

But here are a couple more questions;

haven't there been a lot of people complaining about results from RRbeans?

Aren't those going to add quite a bit in costs?

If I had to plant the beans when he plants his fields would it be worthless to do?

So... lets say I do the beans, then plant the rye/oats after that!! I am going to attempt to do a Chronological table here! Please tell me where I am off!

Oh, and Risto!! Cheap shots will cost you!!! LOL

1. Early May, Brush hog and mow

2. Around Memorial day Burn and Drill plant(correct usage?)the beans

3. Hope the deer eat the crap out of them!

4. Late august early september Spread Rye and Oats?
(is there a trick to planting the rye and oats? How do you plant this? Sorry I hope my ignorance is helping others)

5.Kill deer all fall and winter

6. Frost seed clover in march?

7. We can go from here the following year!!!

So am i even remotely close!! Get ready here comes another DOOZY of stupid questions... I have been reading about fertilizing.. When the heck does all that take place? Or is this plan we are looking at not require much of that?

I bet most of you are reading this thinking about the series of pictures now!!

1. Me freezing digging for a soil sample
2. Me with broken redneck mower stuck in wet field
3. Fire with flames at high altitudes and me running for my life
4. a big field with a bunch of dirt and dead grass!
5. My wife nagging me about spend money and having it not work!

Yup I see the pictures too!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did discuss plots with him and he thinks I am retarded but is willing to help! He always asks why I would want to plant food for them when they are eating half his corn every year!
</div></div>
That's a pretty typical response...most farmers think us insane (at best...) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haven't there been a lot of people complaining about results from RRbeans? Aren't those going to add quite a bit in costs? </div></div>

for deer?? Not that I know of...and you can spend more or less on soy seed. Use last years seed and buy it for 1/2 price or try forage RR soybeans (see the RR cor/soybean thread) which are pricey but much better growth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to plant the beans when he plants his fields would it be worthless to do? </div></div>

never bothered the deer I feed... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Remember you have hidden plots...that's the key!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So... lets say I do the beans, then plant the rye/oats after that!! I am going to attempt to do a Chronological table here! Please tell me where I am off!

1. Early May, Brush hog and mow

2. Around Memorial day Burn and Drill plant(correct usage?)the beans

3. Hope the deer eat the crap out of them!

4. Late august early september Spread Rye and Oats?
(is there a trick to planting the rye and oats? How do you plant this? Sorry I hope my ignorance is helping others)

5.Kill deer all fall and winter

6. Frost seed clover in march?

7. We can go from here the following year!!!

So am i even remotely close!! Get ready here comes another DOOZY of stupid questions... I have been reading about fertilizing.. When the heck does all that take place? Or is this plan we are looking at not require much of that?

</div></div>

Pretty close I would say...fertilize just ahead of or during planting. Lime for soybeans and/or clover as needed per soil testing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet most of you are reading this thinking about the series of pictures now!!

1. Me freezing digging for a soil sample
2. Me with broken redneck mower stuck in wet field
3. Fire with flames at high altitudes and me running for my life
4. a big field with a bunch of dirt and dead grass!
5. My wife nagging me about spend money and having it not work!

Yup I see the pictures too!!!! </div></div>

No wayyy...never crossed our minds...honest!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DBLtree- I wish I had a fraction of your toys! Very impressive.

DblA- I don't know how big those plots are (I think you said 1 acre) but I'll tell ya that in 2005, I put approx an acre into beans behind my house and they didn't stand a chance. they were wiped out in no time. Have any turkeys on your property? They like them too.

As for the Burn thing, that would scare the heck outta me too. Although the price of roundup does make free fire look pretty good. Good luck with whatever you do.

Don't be scared of a fire at that time of year. Remember, it's mem. day and everything around your R'UP killed foodplot is at it's greenest time of the year. If the fire does start to spread into the thatch under the green grass, it will burn very slowly and be easy to stop. If you are still paranoid, mow a couple of times around the edge and drive it flat, that will make a pretty good fire break. You can also burn against the wind to slow it, but half the fun is watching a fire roar with the wind!!! Also, I've had good luck spreading my clover and/or brassicas at the same time I broadcast my winter rye. It gives the clover a jump start for next spring. Just don't get the rye too thick or you can smother the clover. Fertilizer shouldn't be too important the first year unless the ground was dozed off and the good dirt robbed for a terrace or pond or such, and lime isn't as critical for clover as alfalfa. What county are you in? I'm way up north, and I think D'BLtree is way south, so some of the dates in your schedule may need to be adjusted for where you live. R'UP and flames are your best friends in this situation.

There are ALOT of people on this forum that have WAY WAY more knowledge and experience so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. After reading the posts you have alot of ideas already that are REALLY good.

I did that this year myself, I tilled about 2 acres under in the spring and then my spring planting puked on me becuase of the dry hot weather. Weekend before labor day, I tilled it under and then planted; ONE trip instead of 3 becuase I had used the disc in the spring. I only disc becuase thats all I have access to, but I have to cover a spot of sod atleast 3 times for it to be dirt.

If it was me. First: (I would sacrifice a small lamb for the Artemis for having a foodplot in Iowa and being able hunt there) Then I would as soon as the spots were greend-up, I would RUP both spots. I would disc both spots. I would then drag both with a bed spring behind the wheeler. Then I would RUP them several times through out the summer, keep them dead. Figure out when optimal time for Turnips/Brassicas is(guessing mid Aug). Then have him bring in the chisel plow and make 1 pass. Plant them at suggested time and hope for rain. Then I would wait till Mid Sept. and do an Oats/Rye patch.
Once again that plan is assuming you can make farmer do as you please on your schedule.

If your scared of the burning, then I would suggest planning some extra $$ on RUP.

Dean

Double A, if you need RR/SB seed, shoot me a pm, I can hook you up pretty cheap. I may know someone /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Since we're talking about deer hammering beans before they reach maturity, can't you spray a repellant to keep the deer off the beans until they mature?

If you would like this to be done real easy, I would just hire me. I may be a little more then the farmer, but much less then buying your own equipment. Also depending on weather, if you wait until memorial day, you've just wasted about 4-6 weeks of growing season and prime rainfall.

As for the recommendations you've recieved, I would concur with putting a brassica mix in the smaller plot, which means don't waste any time or resources on it until Aug. As for the larger plot, I would recommend a legume based mix (chicory/clover). I say this because this has been in CRP for many years and you are going to want to put something in there that you can continue to spray those grasses down over the years to supress them. This also allows you to get something in this spring.

Keep your expectations in line. Regardless of what you plant you are going to have a battle with all that dormant seed in the ground and at some point, based on the recommendations, your going to have to turn that soil. So plant something you can manage for the next couple years.

Top Bottom