Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LOT tags

I had read once that the LOT tags were created primarily for the purpose of depredation. I haven't really understood why they were allowed to become an any sex tag if they were originally designated as a depredation tag??

I've always wondered how many people would still think the tag was beneficial if it was antlerless only.

There always is gray areas that people exploit. I believe originally land owner tags were to offer farmers a cheap deer tag for feeding the wildlife. I use landowner tags on my acreage. It's a smaller tract, but it can have a lot of deer on it. I plant food plots for wildlife. I don't own a combine but bale stalks in spring and trade with my alfalfa hay to my neighbor. So should I qualify?

Last edited:
Can land owners fish their ponds without a fishing license? Can a land owner hunt pheasants on their own land without a license? Can a land owner trap on his own land without a fur bearers license?

There always is gray areas that people exploit. I believe originally land owner tags were to offer farmers a cheap deer tag for feeding the wildlife. I use landowner tags on my acreage. It's a smaller tract, but it can have a lot of deer on it. I plant food plots for wildlife. I don't own a combine but bale stalks in spring and trade with my alfalfa hay to my neighbor. So should I qualify?

The bolded section above was my understanding as well FWIW. I think the idea of antlerless LOT tags came later though and maybe that is where the idea of depredation came in??

I believe that if I had 2 or more continuous acres of pure timber, and I aplyed for a Landowner tag and was told no, I would call it tree farm. You don't need to get ag income off of it every year.

Didn't think of that. What if Mr. Landowner is growing hardwoods for future harvest 30 years from now. I suppose no matter how you look at it; if there's a will there's a way.

Can land owners fish their ponds without a fishing license? Can a land owner hunt pheasants on their own land without a license? Can a land owner trap on his own land without a fur bearers license?
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

But they need to follow all regulations that apply to every hunter.

Any landowner resident or NR?

Yes. NR land owners do not need license for small game & fur bearers. Only looked at hunting regs but suspect same for fishing.

"Resident and nonresident owners and tenants that farm
agricultural land in Iowa and their juvenile
children do not need licenses to hunt and trap
on such lands and may shoot by lawful means
ground squirrels, gophers, and woodchucks upon
adjacent roads."

Yes. NR land owners do not need license for small game & fur bearers. Only looked at hunting regs but suspect same for fishing.

agricultural land in Iowa and their juvenile
adjacent roads."

I'll be damn** did not know that. Any woodchuck I see is going down next spring.

Separate question....We do not have farm ponds in most of MN, so I am not sure on this.

Same fish limits apply on your farm pond as on lakes, rivers etc...? Not that I plan on fishing my pond much, but I am just curious?

First its complaining about deer numbers, then don't shoot a deer unless its a trophy, then onto we all hate shotgun hunters, then oh no what if you can use a crossbow during archery season! Now its on to LOT tags. Wonder what is next?

I am not advocating manipulation of the rules per se, but while these tags are commonly referred to as "Landowner Tags", they are actually "Landowner/Tenant Tags".

Are you bothered that actual tenants can get them too, or that some people are bending the rules that are neither a landowner or a tenant?

Not bothered by the farmers/"tenant" that rents ground/farm for a living. It's the guys that find a way to get an extra tag by minipulating the system.

A true tenant is not manipulating the system at all, the law states that they can buy a tag. It's the people that try to find a way to become a "tenant" when they are not that bugs me.

Like said, there is nothing illegal about it, just doesn't seem morally correct in my opinion.

First its complaining about deer numbers, then don't shoot a deer unless its a trophy, then onto we all hate shotgun hunters, then oh no what if you can use a crossbow during archery season! Now its on to LOT tags. Wonder what is next?

Jackalope sightings!

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

My point being, residency notwithstanding, are there restrictions on what qualifies as a "farm" when it comes to other hunting, fishing and trapping? Or just deer hunting? I've got 10 acres, nonproduction, if I put in a pond can I fish for free? Can I trap for free? If so, then I should be allowed to hunt for free. Isn't the basis of this question "who gets to hunt for free"?

Again, my point is the Land Owner Tags were only conceived for transport of a dead deer from the field to point of processing. I don't think back when LOTs started the people that wrote the rules had any idea what deer hunting, or agriculture for that matter, was to become nor that some hunters would try to bend a well intentioned rule for their own benefit.

Full disclosure, back in the day I used to get LOTs (deer) for my ten acres. Then the regs changed and I had to provide a parcel number. I did that and told myself that if ever questioned I'd say the persimmons I planted were to market the fruit. Whatdayaknow, the 'Bonker grew a conscience. It just bugged the crap out of me that I was perhaps within the letter of the law but not within the spirit of the law.

Same fish limits apply on your farm pond as on lakes, rivers etc...? Not that I plan on fishing my pond much, but I am just curious?
Yes, which I think is pretty much wrong. I paid to have the pond built, I bought fish from a hatchery to stock it, I think that makes it similar to raising chickens. If I'm trying to manage it, why should I follow laws made for state waters?

The only reason I can see is that if I have a pickup load of fish and get pulled over, I can't use the excuse. "I caught them on my private pond" when I might have fished elsewhere. But really?

agricultural land
in Iowa and their juvenile
adjacent roads."

There's that pesky "farm agricultural land" phrase again....

Yes, which I think is pretty much wrong. I paid to have the pond built, I bought fish from a hatchery to stock it, I think that makes it similar to raising chickens. If I'm trying to manage it, why should I follow laws made for state waters?

The only reason I can see is that if I have a pickup load of fish and get pulled over, I can't use the excuse. "I caught them on my private pond" when I might have fished elsewhere. But really?

Totally agree!!!! I paid for pond construction. I paid for fish. I paid for feed. Why is that different from a "fish farm"?
Any way, the regs read:"All anglers on private
waters must abide by rules and regulations governing
fishing, including bag limits, except there is
no daily bag limit for bluegill or crappie for private
waters. Statewide length limits do not apply on
private waters."

Yes. NR land owners do not need license for small game & fur bearers. Only looked at hunting regs but suspect same for fishing. "Resident and nonresident owners and tenants that farm agricultural land in Iowa and their juvenile children do not need licenses to hunt and trap on such lands and may shoot by lawful means ground squirrels, gophers, and woodchucks upon adjacent roads."

It might just be me, but u could also read it as,

Resident and nonresident owners, and the tenants that farm

Not bothered by the farmers/"tenant" that rents ground/farm for a living. It's the guys that find a way to get an extra tag by minipulating the system.

A true tenant is not manipulating the system at all, the law states that they can buy a tag. It's the people that try to find a way to become a "tenant" when they are not that bugs me.

Like said, there is nothing illegal about it, just doesn't seem morally correct in my opinion.

Agree with you.

This whole thing stemmed from a comment that a coworker said about confronting his non-hunting landowner (who lets him hunt for free) with a cheese-whiz lease agreement for like $1 just so he could be considered a tenant and get that extra tag in the hopes of shooting two bucks during archery season.

Bending the rules? Oh yeah.
Breaking them? Maybe not.

I told him to just get a gun tag for buck#2, but he has no interest in gun hunting, or using his bow in the late season at all for that matter. IDK if he was just flapping his jaw or what, but it got me wondering about the legality of it.

Top Bottom