Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LW Stick Users

DarkArcher

Lung Buster
I just bought a set of these to use with my Muddy stand and have a few questions.

1. Are the v-shaped braces that contact the tree supposed to spin or be tight?

2. What is the best routine to get the 3rd and 4th stick on the tree without having to climb down the tree.

3. Any chance on getting on extension for the strap around the tree?

Thanks in advance for the help...I believe once I get a routine down they will be great but I bet the neighbors had a good laugh watching me try to climb the tree in the back yard the other night.

I'm not sure about your second and third questions, I always just put one step on, and then another, and then another, but again this is my first year using them as well so i'm in the same boat as you.

As for the v-brackets, yes, they are supposed to twist or spin on the tree. It makes them really stick and they won't budge once you step on them!

They are great to hunt with and you can get up a tree and have the stand hung fast once you become familar with using them!

ha, I was getting ready to ask the same questions. I just got my lone wolf sticks in early this week, to go with my muddy stand.

Ha good thing someone asked. I was going to ask question #1 aswell.

#3 I know the sell extension straps, where to buy? WOuldnt know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Are the v-shaped braces that contact the tree supposed to spin or be tight?</div></div>

They start off loose and tend to get looser with time. You can snug them up with a wrench, but allow them to be able to pivot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. What is the best routine to get the 3rd and 4th stick on the tree without having to climb down the tree.</div></div>
Most times I use 4 steps. I usually lash step one to the tree, loop another over my head on my back to the right (leave the strap on the versi button), one over my head on the left side (seems to keep them far enough apart not to bang together) and have step #2 in my hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. Any chance on getting on extension for the strap around the tree?</div></div>
Earlier this year I got to a tree I wanted to set up in and it was too big around at the bottom. I had some nylon rope in my pack and looped it through the end of the strap that goes around the versi button. I tied a square knot in the nylon rope where it went through the LW loop and then had a nylon rope loop to go over the versi button. I was nervous about the safety of this and wouldn't have done it any higher than the first two steps (the second step was pushing it!). This got me by in a pinch, but you assume all liability. Don't be a tightwad like me, try to get a factory approved product.

You can order the extensions on ebay or I am sure you can contact LW directly, LimbChicken may also know where to get extensions.

As far as a good way to bet in the tree without going up and down and up and down. I generally put the first two straps on then go up the tree as JNRBRONC stated, keep the strap attached to the versa button on the stick and put the loop over your head and hang the stick to the left side. Repeeat with the second stick and hang it to the right side. I then attach a rope to the stand so once I am at the top I lock my safety harness in, pull sthe stand up, set it and I am ready to rock.

There are a lot of guys on here that have been using the stands longer than me so they might have better input, but anymore I can be in the tree in under 10 minutes.

Kratz

If you put both loops over the button, you can sling the straps of the 3rd and fourth stick over your shoulder. I also tie end of the bow tow rope to the stand and clip the other end to the loop on my harness. Then when I get to the top after setting the fourth stick, I can pull the stand up with the rope from the ground. That way it's all done with one trip. I do have to go back once then to the ground to get my pack and attach the tow rope to the bow. I used to make about 4 trips up the tree until I developed this system by trial and error.

What about tieing a tow rope to the stand that way after you pull the stand up you have the rope on the stand that can be tied to your bow and pack?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about tieing a tow rope to the stand that way after you pull the stand up you have the rope on the stand that can be tied to your bow and pack </div></div>

I've thought about carrying an extra rope for that purpose. My problem is that the bow and pack together is a lot of weight to hoist at one time. The pack I use to strap all this on to is kinda heavy and I usually haul around more stuff than I probably need. Good idea though. I'm sure there are some that do it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you put both loops over the button, you can sling the straps of the 3rd and fourth stick over your shoulder. I also tie end of the bow tow rope to the stand and clip the other end to the loop on my harness. Then when I get to the top after setting the fourth stick, I can pull the stand up with the rope from the ground. That way it's all done with one trip. I do have to go back once then to the ground to get my pack and attach the tow rope to the bow.</div></div>

This is pretty much how I set my stand also. I put one stick over one shoulder and one over the other to try and prevent too much clanging.

Make sure you always wear a linemans belt when setting up your stand!

I appreciate the pointers guys. I am going to give it my 1st go tomorrow afternoon and hopefully the methode will come easier with practice.

Thanks again and good luck out there.

I can't take credit for this idea... but someone mentioned some time back about using a tool belt hook like they sell to hook your cordless drill on your side. This idea works great /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I bought a hook for $7 that is adjustable side to side so I can fold it flat against my back... you can easily hook two climbing sticks in the hook as long as they are stacked on top of each other.... it is easy to remove them without any noise or clanging around as you climb. I like to put my hook on my back belt loop so as I climb the sticks hang off my backside like a tail.... seems to work great! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I use 2 ropes to pull everything up so once i leave the ground i don't return until the hunt is over.

The extension straps are $4.95 on LW website and are like 3' long just got some and used them for the first time last week just remember to get ATLEAST 1 for every stick and 2 for the stand. One extension works great but if you wanna hunt a monster tree and put two or more extensions togther it gets to be real hard to throw the strap around the tree to hook it back on the stick. Be VERY CAREFUL when hanging the sticks on trees where they have to be slightly crooked, Ive had them kick out and come loose while climbing and the steps are very small and easy to slip off of if the sticks arent put on straight up and down. Just had that problem Saurday morning had muddy boots on and slipped off of a slightly crooked stick four sticks high while trying to put the fifth one on the tree, thankfully I was able to catch a branch under my left arm about 4' into the fall and pull myself back up onto the sticks, and only ended up with a badly bruised arm and some good scratches

Once I leave the ground I don't come back down for anything. I have a bow rope attached to my bow and pack. I put the stand on my back. I then take a length of rope and tied small clips every 3 ft or so (long enough so the sticks don't clank against each other). I attach a stick to each clip and attach the rope to my climbing harness. When its time to attach a stick I pull the rope up and there it is. This has worked well for me.

By the way if you didn't get four sticks buy an extra one if you can afford it. Three sticks just don't quite get me high enough.

Good Luck

Why are you guys so against climbing down? Im just a novice so far with the LW setup so Im not trying to bash anyone, just trying to figure this out.

Tonight I put my up for the 2nd time. I got to the tree, dropped the stand and sticks unpacked everything. First stick from the ground. 1 step up and I placed the second stick. I did loop the 4th stick over my shoulder and held the 3rd. Installed both of those sticks. Climbed down, only took 1 foot off the stick, grabbed the stand and picked up my tow rope. Climbed up placed the stand crawled in and pulled my bow up. Got up there and realized I left my rattling antlers at the base of the tree, crawled down again and back up.

How much of a time saver is it trying to attach all the ropes to different parts and making sure its not all knotted up ect... Then as your going up with one leg wrapped around a tree, and one arm holding on and trying to figure out which rope to pull up?
AS compared to crawling down 1 or 2 times.

It was 60+ degrees when I rode away from the truck, i took my time putting my stand up and did it in a T-shirt and went slow to keep from sweating. Still only took me maybe 25-30min.

I have found over the years it is best to take your time and not try to rush it when hanging a stand. One stupid mistake and your in a wheel chair the rest of your life. I put the first 3 sticks on then carry the 4th and the stand and hang the rest. If it is a normal size tree I can usually be set up and ready to go in 10 minutes or less.

On a side note, I bought some new straps, they appear to be grey and a little thinner than the old black ones. Anyways, I have had a couple of these actually slip 2-3 inches when I have them pulled tight against the tree. They don't seem as good to me, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue at all?

When did you get those LIV. Weasel had that happen 22 ft in the air on a alpha assault. It was a bad deal and I contacted Andrae about it. I would send them back and demand new ones. That is crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just wondering if anyone else has had this issue at all? </div></div>

I had the same thing happen. I threw away the strap and have had no problems since, but it keeps ya wondering..... Got me thinking about adding a second versa button to my old model assault, but the platform won't alow it to be folded flat if one is added.

I switched out my straps for custom constrictor ropes on my sticks. I do like those alot. The stand needs the nylon straps for a limited stretch securement, or I'd switch that to the ropes also. I'll just switch out the stand strap with a new one ever so often.

Top Bottom