Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Mature"?

loneranger

What do you call a "Mature", buck? Do you go by antler score or age? Do most of you think of a 3 yr old mature,,,4yrs? Actually 5 to 6 yrs is considered mature, but how many of those are around? How many seasons does it take to see one of those? I suppose if you have lots of prime acreage, your odds are higher. I know in my area, 4 yrs old, is pretty mature. Lucky to live that long. hunting pressure pretty high. Back in N. MI. where I come from, 2 1/2 yrs considered mature. I know,,,SAD, but true.

I think 5.5 or older. I have seen a lot of deer grow huge at 5.5 years old. The general consensus I always hear though is 4.5 or older.

Whitetails are sexually mature at 3.5, completely, physically mature at 4.5, but 5.5 is the new "managed mature"

I shot a 5.5 in '06 during late 'loader. HUGE body....

I believe I am at the point where I could pass a high-scoring 3.5, but I won't pass a 4.5 that is a real toad.....

Whitetails are sexually mature at 3.5
I need that one explained to me.:confused: A 6 month old doe fawn can and will breed.

As for mature bucks, 4.5 to 5.5 is usually considered mature.

Last edited:
Peak Performance
getting it regularly
:way:

just like a 20 year old college kid
:D

Well, Mature is in the eyes of the beholder I guess. A biologist told me 5 to 6 considered "mature". To me..if a buck makes it to 4 yrs old around my area he is pretty crafty, and worth a shot with a bow. I am waiting to have one scored by tooth, and I hope it is 4.

Not many bucks 3 1/2 and younger will do any breeding at all if there is older bucks in the area.Older bucks will breed 80% of the does.Of course if the age structure in an given area has no older bucks then the 3 1/2 year olds will do the breeding.

I would say 4.5 years old or older, regardless of antler size. A lot of small racked 5.5 year old bucks that will whoop up on a 2.5-3.5 year old buck with a much larger rack. I would say that there are an increased number of deer in the 5.5 year and older bracket but they still are pretty rare.

Kratz

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that there is more breeding done by 3 1/2 year olds than what you think. Great post loneranger.

I would be willing to bet that 90% of the breeding is done by 3.5 year olds or less.
It's not like elk or antelope that have herds and the dominant herd buck / bull gets the majority of the does. It's a free for all out there. There is a lot more younger bucks then mature bucks and a mature buck can only handle one doe at a time. I have seen many 1.5 old deer breed does. I have also seen button bucks mount their moms.

Here is my thoughts on this my opinion only we all know that in a area with a decent population of deer that there are going to be more does than your 4 to 5 year old bucks just for the fact that there just are not that many 4 to 5 year olds on most propertys because of the fact that we can't all own 1000 acres and manage it like we want so you take in the fact that for the most part that most does come in around the same time and again I say most not all there are going to be some lucky 1.5s and 2.5s out there. Maybe I am wrong and it is like they show on tv and there is a 150 incher hiding behind every tree but I know that is not the case in my county

I would be willing to bet that 90% of the breeding is done by 3.5 year olds or less.
It's not like elk or antelope that have herds and the dominant herd buck / bull gets the majority of the does. It's a free for all out there. There is a lot more younger bucks then mature bucks and a mature buck can only handle one doe at a time. I have seen many 1.5 old deer breed does. I have also seen button bucks mount their moms.

Absolutely !:way:

Ill have to agree with Liv on this anywhere I hunt there arent nearly enough "mature" bucks to breed the tons of does there are but there are a ton of 1.5-3.5 yr olds out running crazy hammering anything that isnt glued to a mature buck. In my opinion when it comes to breeding in my area its a numbers game not pecking order atleast not until two or more bucks are after the same doe then of course the larger more mature deer will almost always get his girl.

1 1/2 year old bucks breed the largest percentage of does each year. Also I think a deer is mature at 5 1/2 but I wont pass a 4 1/2 year old. Im not to that stage of the game yet. maybe in a few years.

The last 2 bucks I have shot have been 8 1/2. Guess I'm a grandpa killer. :grin:

I think 3 1/2 year olds pretty much breed everything in site, but when they meet up with the mature deer, the mature bucks (5.5 or older) get their way, and wip up on the younger bucks.

Not many bucks 3 1/2 and younger will do any breeding at all if there is older bucks in the area.Older bucks will breed 80% of the does.Of course if the age structure in an given area has no older bucks then the 3 1/2 year olds will do the breeding.

Where'd you hear this at?

From what I have read,,many younger bucks do get in on the breeding. Up in MI, if they didn't, few does would be bred. As stated previously, a 2 1/2 yr old was rare to see,, and considered a trophy. I know this is hard to belive, for Iowa deer hunters ,but it is true. Around my Iowa place 2 yr olds are the norm, and a 3 or a 4, is trophy material, but the hunt pressure is pretty heavy, and every season I see yearling bucks thrown in the ditches. Sad,,also.

A dominant buck will set up several rubs and a few scrapes then move around among them to increase access to does that are also checking out active sites. Both are opportunistic in these behaviors. The females are in heat for about 24 hours, so the buck must be on the ready throughout the rutting season. Even so, lesser bucks may be able to intervene and mount females in estrous if the larger or more dominant buck is too busy for the number of does available. Similarly, if a buck is in a mating ritual with one doe, other does may move to another area seeking a different male.
This aggressive behavior ensures maximum opportunities for successful impregnation of all the fertile females and maximizes the opportunities for larger, dominant bucks to sire most of the off-spring in a given region each season.

You guys need to do some research...I just looked that up on the internet.
I agree..if you have only 3 1/2 year old and younger bucks in a given area the 3 1/2s will do the breeding.But if there is a few 4 1/2s and older the younger ones will not do very much breeding.
I also read somewhere the if a 1 1/2 year old buck does mount a doe that doe WILL NOT become impregnated.Its nature way of insureing that most of the does are bred by the dominate buck.

Top Bottom