Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Mature"?

By the time a buck reaches 3 1/2 years of age it has roughly 97% of its skeletal mass. So for the first 3 1/2 years of its life, a buck is putting the majority of its nutritional intake towards building its skeleton. After 3 1/2 years of age a bucks nutritional intake can then shift toward building muscle and fat reserves as well as pumping more into its antlers. Ever notice how a bucks' body size and antlers take a noticable jump after 3 1/2 years. I've always read that a buck is not fully matured until it reaches 5 1/2 years of age.

Nothing to add here...thanks for some good lunch time reading. :way:

Sure are some smart fellers on the site now... :grin:

I am sticking to button bucks! Eleviates so much stress on wondering because I know they have not reached their potential, and never will. Not to mention, after seeing his mother cornered by a buck, you know he is way too scared to breed.

Here is my thoughts on this my opinion only we all know that in a area with a decent population of deer that there are going to be more does than your 4 to 5 year old bucks just for the fact that there just are not that many 4 to 5 year olds on most propertys because of the fact that we can't all own 1000 acres and manage it like we want so you take in the fact that for the most part that most does come in around the same time and again I say most not all there are going to be some lucky 1.5s and 2.5s out there. Maybe I am wrong and it is like they show on tv and there is a 150 incher hiding behind every tree but I know that is not the case in my county
Damn that has got to be the longest sentence I have ever seen! :D

Nothing to add here...thanks for some good lunch time reading. :way:

Sure are some smart fellers on the site now... :grin:
Well I don't know about good reading... I know my coffee got cold though. :D You know what they say about opinions Ghost...:D

Top Bottom