Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanical broadhead suggestions?

IA_shooter

I just purchased a new Hoyt Charger bow this weekend for myself and and a Diamond Infinite Edge pro for my 11 yr old son and we have everything needed for hunting EXCEPT broadheads and would love to know which brands you guys put on the top of your list for recommendations.

The archery pro who set me up has me convinced on using some sort of mechanical broadhead that will maintain pretty much the same point of impact as the field tips we're using for practice.

Outdoor life did a comparison test so this is what I'm going off of so far.

The article/test is located here ....... http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...8/best-broadheads-mechanical-and-fixed-blade-

Opening day is almost upon us and I'd like to pick some up on Wednesday and would love to hear some recommendations.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is one your going to get a lot of different opinions on but I wouldn't recommend your son shoot mechanicals until he is drawing more weight. I'm assuming he's drawing mid 30's to mid 40 some pounds right now? I would stick with cut on contact heads like the Muzzy Phantom or Magnus Stinger and limit his shots to 20 yards or less. Also please make sure the bow is tuned by someone that knows what they are doing it will go a long way towards making sure all the energy available is used efficiently and those broadheads fly like the field tips. Have fun!

Last edited:
I would recommend Slick Tricks,,easy to replace blades,,easy to sharpen. Fly good,,for expandables- I used Rocket Sidewinders for yrs, with great results,,but blades a pain to replace..

The Slick Trick is a great broadhead, and I agree that your son's setup should probably shoot a fixed blade head. My son started shooting them at about that same age, and still does. He took his first buck pulling between 40 and 45 lbs. and easily got a pass through on a rib cage shot.

As for mechanical, CI is right...you'll get a lot of opinions in favor and against. I'll just say I love the 3 blade Rage and leave it at that.

NWBuck

Not sure if my son will be hunting this year or not, but I agree about the fixed blade for him with the light draw.

Rage's are awesome. Used them on my last 4 kills and I watched all of them tip over in less than 100 yds. Hit them where you're supposed to and anything will work though.

I'll reinforce what Central Iowa and NWBuck already said...at lighter draw weights like a youth would have, I would definitely go with a cut on contact head.

Most important to me...sharp, sharp, SHARP blades!!

Rage Hypodermic for you, slick trick for your son. Make sure the arrows are flying correctly before you go hog wild. Also practice practice practice.

Depends on the draw weight that your son is pulling...my wife shoot 50lbs and she used the Rage SS last year...complete pass thru broadheads preformed flawlessly...I also shoot rage and would suggest them for you!

I shoot magnus stinger buzzcuts. Cut on contact and fly great! Lifetime replacement warranty is also a huge bonus in my book! Shoot a deer, use one for practice, etc. send it back and they will send you a new one.

I could never get Fixed Blades to fly perfectly... Even with a tuned bow if you have any amount of cross wind there WILL be wind drift at 40+ yards. That's why I've switched to NAP Slingblade... No O rings, 1 7/8 inch cut, simple design, will always open, and doesn't take a ton of KE to open. Check them out, they're the newer version of the Rocky Mountain Gator's I believe. Have incredible reviews, but never got super popular.

I also agree with a fixed head for shooting lighter bow weights. For me the 100 grain Steel Force Phat Heads are as sharp as they come and are as tuff as nails. I like they fact that they don't have a chisel point and cut on contact like going through butter!

Rage for me as well. Really leave mark. They used to make a low KE expandable for 45# or less I believe. My youngest brother used them and loved them when he started out.

SIDE NOTE.... The MAGAZINE articles, usually like these.... "Everyone" seems to always come "close" to each other. Like every company finds a category they get an "A+" in, etc. The results are never that "extreme" for differences whether we're talking broadheads, binoculars or bows. Just a thought, maybe I'm the only one that's noticed that BUT something I think I've seen over 20 years of looking. A large part, IMO, due to the fact that they make their $ from manufacturers and really don't want to tick anyone off but maybe I'm wrong.
Interestingly, I did my own tests and I think they were as robust, rounded and versatile as what they did. My results had VAST differences in outcomes, tremendous differences. There was no stack of A+ to B+. I had straight up F's to A's and vast differences in outcomes. I also didn't have any sponsors or advertisers to piss off though. ;)

I shoot the Wasp Jackhammer. I have shot about 75 deer with them as well as a big mulie at 42 yards and a bull elk at 20. Flawless performance on all and most importantly to me, easy to change blades. I have considered others and then wonder why when I have personally field tested these with no problems at all.

Last edited:
My wife started 5 yrs ago shooting 35 pounds and is now shooting just under 50 very comfortably.
Manus stingers would be my number one choice for short draw, low pounds. I shot them for alot of yrs at 70+ pounds. Great head. Best warranty in the business.
So many great fixed heads
Steel force phat head
QAD exodus
G5 montec
Dirt nap
Slick trick viper trick
Muzzy Phantom
The list goes on an on, mechanicals take quite a bit of energy to open and push large blades through a deer. My wife is shooting Ulmer edge heads now and they have been just as great as all the fixed blades but she only takes broadside ribcage shots away from the shoulder.
As for you. Pick your poison, any broadhead on the market will kill a deer in short order if placed in the lungs of a deer. I hate seeing broadheads blamed for lost deer. You stick a sharp head through the lungs, heart, liver of a deer and it will die.
Shot placement is key

Top Bottom