Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moderate Drought:

looks like some showers tonight. We have had showers over these past 2 months, does nothing. I dont think its the pattern, why else would there be rain everywhere else around us.. Does kinda start here and head east thru IL and IN. This SE Iowa drought is not associated at all to the tx, Ok one parts of MO are soaked. The heat wave earlier made this much worse. Sun and 100F temps baked us earlier. Getting inexplicable now, front have passed thru dry all summer at my house.

It is hard to explain. I have asked all the supposed experts at the Nat. weahter service offices. they have no clue? The"cool fronts" that have come thru have had little energy anywhere in the mid-west past two months, except up in Minn and Wis. Where it has rained consistently,The active Jet streams usually retreat up there with summer heat. That made sense. The rains down in our area have been exclusively produced by the,"Ring Of Fire". a scenario that produces complexes of T-Storms that originate in Neb or Dakotas and follow the edge of the extreme heat. In July,,when extreme heat was in Iowa, Ring of Fire was up in Minn. When heat abated, it moved to Sw Iowa and East Neb, down into MO. This went on from End of July until this morn. Complex after Complex hit West Iowa up to I-35, then down into Mo. Each one could not come east. Alot of them tried. Getting almost to Ottumwa before dieing. Usually a few will come along the IA-Mo border east, but none would. Then today Heat returned, but this Morning ring a Fire, jumped north, and set up over N Iowa and Minn, then dropped down thru, Quad Cities and Ill, but just east of SE Iowa and West Ill. this crazy pattern shows no signs of change. I know,,This is alot of detail,,guess should have been a meteorologist. would have but you have to be good in math. Counted me out. Now that corn and beans and food plots are lost,,next thing are trees. If they go into winter stressed, can die next spring..Not good.

I used to feel that way about too much rain. One extreme or the other is not good. Last summer I actually had two fruit trees die from too much water!! Actually drowned. Now I fear some will die from drought. How can you grow anything in this crazy State?

Yes I know, The weather here bounces from one extreme to the other.. I had dreams of being a meteorologist, but pursued other things. I lost 70 pine trees plated last yr because of too much water, now I am trying to keep the ones alive I planted this yr.. I actualy had way better gardens back in PA before moving to IA. However I feel the normal wet springs and summer really add to the quality of deer IA produces.. Deer browse and there is plenty of that here, together with beans and corn, makes for good antler growth, the fawns are much more robust here by fall than other areas Ive hunted. Lets see what weather Nov brings this yr we are due for a decent cool nov instead the heat waves the past 3 yrs.

November brings up another weather topic. Every where I have been the falls are getting warmer. Even up in MI where I lived for 50 yrs. So don't hold your breath. I see another endless Indian Summer, with the first frost ,,Maybe, second wk of Nov. Wish I was,,hope I am,,wrong!

November brings up another weather topic. Every where I have been the falls are getting warmer. Even up in MI where I lived for 50 yrs. So don't hold your breath. I see another endless Indian Summer, with the first frost ,,Maybe, second wk of Nov. Wish I was,,hope I am,,wrong!

Damn that Al Gore and his global warming :grin:

Not sure where you guys are, but we'll have snow up here by the 3rd week in November ( NE Iowa) Be thankful for your weather and not having 16 feet of snow to worry about in Late Muzzy season. And to think when I moved here from Michigan, everyone told me "the winters here are mild" HA fricken HA I grew up in the UP of Michigan and we never had winters as bad as the last 3 have been here! I'm amazed the deer can survive this place. Ice and -20 degrees is getting damn old already. Haha I sound like I'm 65. Just sayin.

Southern Iowa. I still say look for endless summer. Hope I am wrong. Last Oct was still 85' on Oct 10th. Wife and I always go to County days celebration , ,That day,,,felt like July.

I checked out an Ag weather sight on the Internet. Showed Moisture level for the past month across the whole mid-west. When you see how little an area is in drought,,and how much of midwest is ok moisture wise ,,you have to ask why??But then why never accomplied anything I guess...

Top Bottom