Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mouth Calls-FRUSTRATION!!

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
So how many of you guys use diaphram calls and What do you use. I went home to see my family this weekend and was surprised when I walked in. My brother has been practicing a lot and has gotten Dang good at using a mouth call. Now I have never felt the need to use one because I love my slates and glass. Not to mention I have always sucked at mouth calls. But now I am on a mission, I cant let my little bro get one up on me. I have a few sonic domes but what do you guys suggest for a beginner.

this is killing me.

Nick
Primos, HS, MAD, Quaker Boy are all great brands! easy to use and great quality.

but if you dont mind spending a little more id recommend Woodhaven calls, best call on the market if you ask me!

Learning to use a mouth call is essential if you ask me, it allows you to call without movement and could be the difference it takes in the moment of truth.

keep some in the sunfish and practice when you drive, that way you dont bug the hell out of people around you. i always keep a few in my truck to practice!

Good Luck!

i have already gave myself a headache. i cant imagine the neighbors. I can purr and cluck, my yelps are just monotone and NO rasp???!!?! its buggin me. I got a double could that be the reason for no rasp.

Gundog,
What word are you saying to make the yelp call? Try using several different models and see what one you like best. They're cheap enough that trying different ones won't break the bank.
I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I pretty much use the mouth call exclusively. I just can't seem to get the hang of a box or slate call.

I am kind of the opposite on this. I am trying to use other calls more than a mouth call. I don't like the sonic dome calls. tried em just not my thing.

I'm gonna have to try the Woodhaven calls but as of now I use the MADD calls that have like a V cut in the center.

Only advise I can give is to get a DVD or video with some tips on mouth calling and practice practice practice. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ill bet a Benjamin that you are pushing too hard with your tongue.
let up on the pressure some and maybe blow less.

with mouth calls, less is more.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

when yelping, say the word "Kee-Yup"
when you say the "yup" drop your jaw and the deeper rasp should be there.....

but its been said
practice, practice practice

I learned on some cheapy HS call, but the sonic domes are what I used last year and I got pretty good with them. But opposite of you, purring is the hardest for me.

Primos diamond cut, although they've changed them and I can't get as good a sound out of the new ones. They used to come in a three-pack and the raspy old hen was my favorite. I could really cut, yelp and purr with it.

Best thing I can recommend is get a tape or CD of real turkeys calling, go for a drive and try to imitate what you hear. [You might get a few strange looks from other drivers, but in the car/truck, you won't be bothering anybody else.]

Gundog,
I would of figured you to be a pro at the mouth calls as many as you have called in.

All of the brands these guys have said will work.
I just bought a Raspy Young hen by HS the other day.
I really like the HS Cuttin 2.5.
I bet you already sound better than 1/2 the hens out there.
If you do make a mistake keep on going they make them also.

If you can hook up with me I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Worse case I will help when we are in the woods?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.If you can hook up with me I will be happy to help in any way I can. </div></div>

Hey Nick, ill bet you could borrow some of Tony's old mouth calls if you asked....

yum

like I said I consider myself pretty proficient with my slates and I know what it should sound like but Ill be danged if I can hit that not. I can do some serious rabbit in distress!! hahah. yea I probably am blowing to hard, but I cant seem to get it startede with. You know me I open my mouth and more comes out than I plan on.

Hooks custom calls makes Awesome mouth calls. Also if you are using a straight double you won't get any raspy sound. You need a cutter or a raspy old hen. I have used almost all of them out there and I think Hooks is the best( I have never used a woodhaven) They are affordable just google them and you can buy on line. Lots of practice is needed also.

Primos has worked well for me, but I do not like the sonic dome, it just doesn't fit my mouth right. Have heard a lot of good things about the Woodhaven mouth calls. Almost bought a few the other day, but will be up at Cabelas in about a week and wanted to look there.
I've got a good mouth calling/instruction CD, PM me and I can get you a copy.
Using a mouth call is really not that hard, IMO, just takes a little practice.

I like Primos A-Frame calls. Triple w/ Batcut(sp) I think is what its called. I own basically all of Primos mouth calls. Will Primos read one of my post on Primos.com and sent me a bunch of free stuff. I was surprised to get a Freak with crystal in the package considering I had a mouth call question. I'm not sure if it was Will that read it or not, but I got a bunch of free stuff.

I was just getting ready to say try a Primos A-frame. Looks like I was beat to the punch. I buy the 3 pack with the case. They fit my mouth better than the standard size mouth call and they sound pretty sweet. The sonic domes suck.

I picked up a Primos signature series call Sat. at Cabela's. Sounds good but not worth $10 imo. Not when I get 3 a-frames for $13.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ill bet a Benjamin that you are pushing too hard with your tongue.
let up on the pressure some and maybe blow less.

with mouth calls, less is more.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

when yelping, say the word "Kee-Yup"
when you say the "yup" drop your jaw and the deeper rasp should be there.....

but its been said
practice, practice practice </div></div>

Practice with the double reed because it takes less air to make sounds. The more reeds the more air that is needed. Make sure to bring the air up from your diaphram. It will come with time. I also need to practice more with my other calls since I spend more time using my diffrent mouth calls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundog870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update: I suck </div></div>

That there is funny!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom