Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement update...

Davis county, yesterday am had good movement no size. Today just sucked saw one spike and busted a doe
on my way out. Hoping its the weather and the afternoon is better. Got the weekend to hunt still so I'm staying positive! Anyone else sit this am?

NW Iowa-
Was in the field all day yesterday (Thursday). Slow start to the morning and about 9:30 started to see a lot of movement. All the does had bucks after them, and finally saw some shooters chasing (even if they were a half mile away).
I rattled in 5 bucks between 9:30-10:45 (4 small ones, one shooter that got within 40 yards behind some brush before he knew something wasn't right & bolted
evil.gif
). Had a few does and some small bucks moving all afternoon and surprisingly, the evening was pretty slow....just a few does & small bucks again.

This morning was fairly slow too. I think I had a shooter bedded down about 100 yards in the switchgrass in front of me because when I did my first rattling sequence at about 7:15, I saw him trotting over the terrace away from me. Saw a few does with just small ones today in persuit.
I did rattle in a medium sized buck today that was out crusing by himself, which is what the shooter I got in yestrday was doing too, so that seems to be pretty effective on the lone, crusing bucks.

deer movement

Saw around 20 deer 4 small bucks, my 13 year old son had one in his sights, click, forgot to chamber a round:( (MN second weekend of slug season)

I'm going in the morning. Going to have to layer up to stay warm, but I am giddy! I'll post up what I seem sometime tomorrow after I'm done hunting. Anyone in central Iowa have any updates from today? One of my buddies got a nice (150 inch or s0) 10 pointer today and a buddy's buddy got a nice one this morning as well.

It was windy all day yesterday, and there was some nutty running in the morning (bucks just wound up and moving)...and had a few more move in the evening. I'm a pastor, so Sunday morning isn't my best idea! :) Hopefully this evening will be a good one.

My dad and I went out this morning and I got his first ever deer on film. On the way back along highway 5 east of Carlisle there was a nice 130 or so standing about 50 yards off the highway with a doe, that was at about 9. Saw several more deer on the way home as well. They are probably moving a bunch with today being hardly any wind and sunny compared to windy and rainy the past couple days.

I went out this morning and it was dynamite. I'd still be in the tree if I didn't have to work. I got settled in the tree about around 6am and waited for shooting light. An hour passed and I hadn't seen or heard a thing. Around 7:15 I heard something cross the creek but never saw it. 10 min later I see a doe run across the hillside in the pasture about 150yds out. A couple minutes later I see a biggun following the same path. I let out 3 loud grunts with the buck roar and he stops, turns and starts running my way. Goes right where I expect him to and stops 45yds out, about 10yds from my shooting lane. I see him turn his head and sure enough he spotted a doe. He then proceeds to chase that doe thru my shooting lane 3 times but won't stop for anything. Grunting his head off, the doe finally leads him out of sight. About 20 min pass and I hear the tell tale sound of a deer approaching. Its a big old boy I hadn't seen or gotten a pic of since last Nov. I grunt to him and he ignores it so I give a grunt and a snort wheeze. That gets his attention and he's headed my way. He walks about 20yds then stops and tears up a small cedar. Over the next 20min he walks only 10yds and tears up every tree on his way. He only needs a few more steps and he'll be in my shooting lane. I grunt again and he doesn't move. He just looks for the intruder in his domain. He stands in the same spot for another 5min then starts back towards me. After 2 steps he stops, smells the ground and turns on a dime. He starts following exactly the same trail the doe was on and goes out of sight. Nothing I did would get his attention. A few minutes later I see a couple more doe and a young 8pt trailing them. A couple forkys come by a little later and its almost 9:00 and time for me to head to work. So grudgingly I climb down and sneak my way back to my truck and head off to work.

All I can think now is I wish I had the decoy set up, oh, and that I didn't have to work today. I think a decoy might have sealed the deal on the 2nd buck. Oh well, I've got the next 2 days to hunt so I suppose I'll be alright.

This is a pic from last year of that 2nd buck. He's looks about same, just a few more inches added to

tmpphpColFM9.jpg

It was crazy till close to 11:00 today ! Best show with bucks grunting running does all over !Wow it was worth the price of a tag just to watch the show this morning great day out !

Pretty good morning in the stand. The first deer I saw was a doe around 8 o'clock I believe. She was going up the ridge from me so I grunted at her (not sure if that's really a good thing to do or not) and she turned my way, 3 more does ended up being with her. I have 2 doe tags but was hoping they'd bring a buck in for me. 4 does within 40 yards of my stand feeding is tough to beat, live decoys. I hear something running CLOSE to my right, I turn and see tines. It was a nice 8 point, probably 135ish. I think he saw me moving my bow and stopped. He stopped where he could see me so I couldn't draw AND he stopped where I didn't have a shot anyway. The does start walking away and the chase was on.

Had a basket rack 8 pointer walk right under my tree headed the way the 8 and the 4 does went. Then had a doe,fawn, and fork horn come in. The fork horn winded me and took off. This was around 9 I believe and didn't see anything else after that. I left around 10:15. Too dang tired to go in the morning. I've got to work tomorrow night then I'm off Tuesday and I will most definitely be in the stand.

Side note, one of my buddies had 2 different hot does right around his stand this morning. Between the 2 of them, they had 9 or 10 bucks running them all over hell. He said a few were 130's. He saw 2 shooters (150's) but they were 50 yards or further. This was also in central Iowa.

hmmmmmmmm

I only saw 2 small 6 pts. and a doe with 2 little ones today.. tried grunting and bleating...nothing seemed to work for me. It was a perfect morning though.

This morning seems to have been better than the evening, for the most part sounds that way. My expierence waas the same today. Seen decent 8, 6, and a forkhorn this am. evening was alot slower.

No bucks this evening! 6 does with 2 little ones in tow!!!!!!!!!!!! What the heck??????????????? Saw a 180 at 7:15 in the morning on the way about a mile from where I hunt!! HHMMMMMMMMMMM!!!:confused:

Saw around 15 deer...does on normal routes and little bucks checking. One 3.5 and a couple 2.5's, couple dinks and that was it. Beautiful morning just to soak it in. Need a hot doe or one to get off lock down and come pass...

It was on fire today, had bucks chasing does everywhere. Could not connect on any shooters but it was awesome to watch. I had to climb down and head home for an hour when I was pulling out of the drive at 12:30 a big 8 was pushing a doe across the field. I went home grabbed a bite took a fresh shower and headed back out and the action picked up right where it left off. I sat on a different farm in the eve about a mile down the road and it was rocking also. Saw 2 shooters [150 plus] and several little bucks. Had bucks fighting etc. And to top it off I shot a Wiley Coyote at last light, couldnt pass up the oppurtunity it was my first yote with the stick flicker.
Overall an Awesome day.

Cedar co. Sat morning 1 little 7pt, Sun morning notta, Sun evening notta. Worst weekend haven't been see hardly any deer moving almost like yhe October lull in November.

Observation "hunt" last night as I am tagged out. Food plot edge next to about 100+ acres of private/public timber. Bumped three does off the plot comin in @ 3:15 pm. Couple does in some rip corn ground between 4:30 and 5:15. Two coyotes as darkness was coming. Just after the yotes left, a 140 class ten emerged from the timber at 70 yrds as I was climbing down. No bucks out checking any of the does during the sit, no chasing heard in the timber either ??

Top Bottom