Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement update...

tcox

Did you find him? One year I had 3 does who left no blood trail. They were so fat that the fat was plugging up the holes. I learned to wait overnight and then go back and start looking at the last place I saw them. I found all three. ( 3 separate hunts) But it took me a while to figure that out. That could have been your buck who was too spent to run off. If so he will be nearby. If the arrow stayed in then blood might be minimal. God bless your search. I hate to lose a big un!

Sunday morning I had chasing in the morning sit. 2 bucks running 2 does all over an 80 acre patch of timber. Came past me too early to tell what they were. By good light, everything had quieted down. Saw one little basket cruising in the evening. I think they are still rutting, but the hunting pressure from last weekend has it stifled to first and last light in Wisconsin.

Just got back from the morning hunt. I didnt see a single deer which is a first for me this year. With the wind out of the north i hunted a stand for the first time this year. The action has really slowed down in my area. Gonna dry my clothes and grab something to eat then head back out. With the ground being wet it could be a great night for a stalk

quote: "Did you find him? One year I had 3 does who left no blood trail. They were so fat that the fat was plugging up the holes...."

Sorry this is off topic of the thread a bit, but I had the same thing happen last December on a doe I arrowed through the lungs. My arrow passed right through her and when I looked at the arrow after the shot, I couldn't find any sign of blood, but looked like it was smeared with fat. I thought maybe I didn't hit here where I thought I did. I saw her run for at least 250 yards through the CRP/weed field. There was even a skiff of snow on the ground in spots until she got into the CRP/weeds (where there was no snow) and all I could find was a couple drops of blood. I searched around where I last saw her running and could not find anymore sign that evening and then it got dark. I had to work the next day but my brother went back to look and found here just beyond where I had last looked. I'd hit here right where I thought, high through the lungs. When we skun her out it finally became obvious what had happened. She had a very thick layer of fat covering her ribs (huge acorn crop last year) and that wiped any blood clean off the arrow as it exited, and the fat plugged both holes so no blood trail was left behind.

Very little deer movement better than I've seen. Blew a chance on a really good 9pt 11-22 in the morning and saw a little 8pt. havent seen a deer since off all week hope something happens by far the worst bow season I've ever seen.

I'm going to get a chance at an afternoon hunt...first time out in over a week, so I'll be able to give you a "before" and "after" later on...

Went out tonight after work and was able to sneak in about 3:30. Had the most buck productive night so far in this particular stand. Had a few deer ranging from yearling to 4.5 clearly cruzing looking for any stragglers they may have missed. Just nothing mature that I wanted to harvest. Hopefully I can catch a dumb one off guard before the gun seasons start.

I went out this evening to hang a few trail cameras. I saw a lot of activity! At 230PM watched a big buck that I call Dozer in a cut bean field with a hot doe.

Once it started to get dark the deer were hitting the fields hard! Reminded me of late season....they really had food on their mind tonight. If you have a good crop field I would be sitting on it tomorrow night.

There were deer in the fields everywhere tonight. Some were being chased, some were being patient enough it looked like they were still coming in. I also think the front that is going to dump into eastern Iowa tonight had them on their feet looking to eat hard before the messy weather. If it's nasty and windy like they say it will be...I'm guessing those bedding areas will be hot tomorrow. If it breaks then like they're calling for...Thanksgiving day could be a rodeo in the morning!!!

WOW, deer were moving last night (Tuesday Nov 23rd). This quick drop in temp has got them hungry. I counted 55 deer on my way home last night, all within a square mile area and thats just the ones I could see from the road. All of them were hitting harvested corn fields hard.

I saw alot of deer out in the fields as well last night, I just hope they're moving during the day and not starting a winter pattern for this weekend already. I saw my second shooter this season last weekend but no shot again. :rolleyes: If I set up any farther into the bedding areas I will have to spend the freakin night out there so I don't spook them going in. :D I have never hunted a tougher spot with the wind directions we have had constantly shifting, just give me a light north/ northwest wind for a couple days! ;)

Trying to fill my doe tag last night and saw two cruisers and some does out moving. All of them were 200 yards from me, so no luck, but movement was decent.

The way this wind is blowing in SE Iowa...I'm thinking you would see A LOT of movement from any tree you were in right now if the tree weren't big enough!!! And nooo, I'm not necessarily talking about deer movement...I'm just saying...you'd be moving!!! P)

Wow...actually pretty quiet tonight...had some does on an almost late feeding pattern (hitting the corn field early)...did have one small buck still a little frisky, and a decent 2 1/2 eight in search mode, but not a whole lot else...beside the fact it was realllly cold compared to what we've enjoyed this fall!!! ... heard lottttssss of guns being sighted in, guess everyone is getting ready for the shotgun opener...truth...one of my sadder thoughts every year; another rut about over...

Went out yesterday morning (11-25) and froze my but off. A buddy and I went out and hung a double stand hoping to fill a doe tag and get it on video. Well, it didn't happen. Only saw 4 doe while on stand and none came our way. By 9:00 we were frozen and decided to get down. We got back to the truck and sure enough we watch a doe group of 8 go across the hill right by where the stand was. 5 min later while glassing the hillside we see another large doe group and 2 young bucks follow the same route past the stand en-route to a couple food plots.

Just as I thought, with the cold weather their feeding patterns had shifted. So much for early morning action. It seemed that they were waiting until it warmed up a bit to catch a mid morning snack. I assume an evening hunt would have been great but we both had other obligations to attend too.

Went for an observation only hunt tonite as I am planning on leaving my doe tag in my pocket. Field edge over ripped corn stalks. Smaller oats plots along the edges. Four does, one doe fawn and what I think was a buck that came in from the adjacent property. Nothing moved till about 4:50 pm.

Went out last night and seen alot of deer in the picked beans.They are starting to group up were Im at.There were about a dozen does in the group I seen but it was to dark to see if there were any bucks with them.Farmers dogs stand in the fields and bark at them until dark so chances are the bucks are staying in the tree's until then.Gawd I hate dogs!! Just feeling like the rut is about over to me out there.

Last night was fantastic except for the yote that spooked my 2 doe before they got to me. Tonight I only saw 1 dinker buck @ 1620 hrs. I have hunted harder for a doe than I did for a buck! I did see a mid 140's 8 locked down with a doe @ noon.

Top Bottom