Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muddy vs. Lone wolf

"Screwed up" is one way to put it!

Honestly, either one of the Lone Wolfs are great stands IMO

I have the Alpha and although I do not use it ALL the time I do hunt from it more than others. I feel more stable in that stand than my other hang-ons.

I do have a question for those of you who do have Assaults. Do you feel it is better in crotched or multi-trunked trees since it has a narrower back base??

I don't like how narrow the back end of Assault is. It seems alot of the trees I hunt the V in the back fits better and holds tighter with the Alpha compared to the Assault. It could be my imagination though. The only advantage I can really see on the Assault is it is simply 2 pounds lighter. If your a bigger guy, or not that graceful in a tree like me, it is worth having the two extra pounds. If your half squirrel like Muddy, then the Assault is the way to go.

I will have a MUDDY stand next fall for a permanent. A guy can never have too many stands I don't think!!

I'm not sure where people are thinking the Alpha holds tighter than the Assault? The new Assault has two versa buttons now and I can get that thing as rock solid as the two button Alpha.

Awesome post... not only am I 'screwed up' but I am also half tree rat now! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jonny and i hunted out of the Assault last year A LOT, and if two rhinos can hunt out of it, that says alot about it! it is rock solid and is no less than the bigger alpha! if heights are an issue and a biggerstand makes you feel better go with the alpha, but both are equally as solid.

like i said, both members of teh 500 lbs. club can effectively and safely hunt out of it, that says a lot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 180class</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So was Jonny sitting on your lap, or vice versa? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

gotta make the most out of the space we have!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i can see how i misworded that.... my bad....

no both of us did not sit in it together... obviously.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Once up the Alpha is probably the better stand seeing as it is larger. However, I had to laugh last year watching Benny tryng to go mobile with the Big Alpha strapped to his back in KS. It stuck out so much in every direction that he damn near caught every stick in the woods. For that reason alone I prefer the Assault. I am probably in the minority, but for mobile hunting (which I do 90% of the time) I prefer the lightest, most compact stand I can find.

Anyone remember the Windwalker stands? Now those were small. I beleive Loc-on makes a bigger version of that stand now.

I have one of each of the Lone Wolf hang ons,(Assault, Alpha and the Elite) As far as I can see the only difference in any of them is the size of the platform. In the spec's the Assault looks smaller but in area in front of the post or in between the cables, it is only about an inch shorter in front.
Since they trimmed the back corners outside the cables, (Which I have never had a use for) it also shortened up the back, makes the v look a bit shallow but on trees as big as I can get a strap around, I haven't had a problem.. The Alpha or at least mine which is older does have some pockets for limbs which the others do not have. The Assault is the one I use for hang and hunt, just because of the size. Pretty much up to personal choice.I am sure any cast platform over the long haul will stay quieter than a welded one, but not having any experience with the Muddy, I won't take it any further.

Thank you everyone. I think i'm going to get the assault. I know I will be happy with any of the stands I have considered. Again thanks to all who have responded!

i'm not sure where you are located at, but i have a muddy stand you could possibly take a look at

I just bought the Assault from Cabelas. $75 worth of gift cards makes it a little easier to spend that much money. Thank you to everyone who gave input. I cant wait until it gets here! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome post... not only am I 'screwed up' but I am also half tree rat now! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

Don't act like you've never heard any of this before. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Lone Wolf Alpha would be my choice..platform has to be quieter since it is cast metal...has a higher poundage rating, is dead quiet and makes absolutely no noise, and holds it value very well should you decide tree stand hunting with a hangon is not for you. Put an ad on AT for a LW and it is sold in no time. LW has my vote.

Ryan,
They are going to retail the alpha hang on for somewhere around $212.00 if my memory serves me correctly. They are getting a little carried away if you ask me.

Whoah. That's alot of jack for a stand. I was hesitant at last year's prices so I likely just purchased my 1st and last LW a few weeks ago. Great stand though, just not quite sure if they're THAT good, for my money anyway.

If Muddy is charging $120 for four climbing stick that are only 20 inch each, I say they are to expensive as well. I was hoping to see a more affordable option. The Muddy stix look sweet but the price is a giant let down. I don't think I'll be trying them anytime soon.

Top Bottom