Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

muzzleloader suggestions

cwhite

I've never owned one or shot one but I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader and starting hunting the muzzy season here in WI. Getting tired of the zoo during rifle season and looking for a more enjoyable hunt after my bow is put away for the year. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have the 2009 model CVA Optima. Stainless/realtree/thumbhole. They've made some exterior changes since 09 that I don't like. I love mine. For coyotes I shoot shockwaves. Any barnes copper solid for deer. Cabelas pronghorn muzzy scope with 4 reticles. 3x10x40. Clean or dirty it'll one hole at a hundred all day. And yea, I still use pyrodex. Dirty as hell, but my gun likes it best.............ck

Find one that you like and feel comfortable with that is in a price range you can afford! There are a bunch of well made, good shooting, solid muzzleloaders being made now. CVA makes a good one, TC's are quality, If you want extra range, Ultimate Muzzleloaders are pretty impressive. I personally shoot a TC pro hunter with a black synthetic thumb hole stock. I love the feel of the gun and it shoots very well. I would recommend them to anyone.

Also, whatever you buy, DON"T CHINCE ON A SCOPE :way:

I'd shy away from the cheaper muzzleloaders like CVA, Traditions, etc. They save money by sacrifing metal quality, using Alum instead of Steel.

The T/C Encore series is the nations most popular for a reason.... superior quality and consistency.

I've shot numerus muzzleloaders over the years but since switching to the Encore Pro Hunter, I haven't looked back. Also, I love it so much that it's become the ONLY Firearm I hunt with!

Thompson Center, Knight or Savage. I wouldn't buy any of the others but I know other people have had good luck with some of them.

TC is overpriced for what your getting. Knight is good, just bought a CVA Apex and am very impressed, first ml I have ever seen that has a good trigger on it.

I've been shooting a Knight disc extreme for 6 years now, it has been a fantastic shooting muzzy. As stated above, don't skimp on the scope or you will regret it one day.

LRH-FG-scoped-300.jpg

Knight Long Range Hunter fan here, topped with a Nikon 250 BDC scope.

I recently installed the Lehigh conversation kit and will be shooting Blackhorn 209 powder pushing a Hornaday 300 gr. FPB down the tube. :way:

I have been shooting Knights since 1985, great muzzleloader!

I have shot a Knight for the last 7yrs and wanted a shorter, lighter, and easier to clean gun. I bought a Traditions Buckstalker, switched to Blackhorn Powder, so for this gun has been fantastic.

Super easy to clean and as accurate as my Knight, it may be considered one of the cheaper guns but I am very happy.

Bowdude

TC's are good but don't kid yourself for the money the CVA Accura's with the Bergara barrels are nice muzzleloaders.

I've got a Knight LongRange Hunter, great gun I can't say enough good things about it, BUT I'm sick of cleaning the thing. This year I'll be shooting a Smokeless Savage. If it's legal in Wis. the smokeless Savage is really the only option.

I've got a Knight LongRange Hunter, great gun I can't say enough good things about it, BUT I'm sick of cleaning the thing.

Not trying to start and argument here…..but I find cleaning my muzzleloading firearms to be part of the joys of hunting with this type of firearm. I shot a SXS percussion shotgun, a percussion Great Plains rifle, and of course my modern Knight. ;)

I'd shy away from the cheaper muzzleloaders like CVA, Traditions, etc. They save money by sacrifing metal quality, using Alum instead of Steel.

The T/C Encore series is the nations most popular for a reason.... superior quality and consistency.

I've shot numerus muzzleloaders over the years but since switching to the Encore Pro Hunter, I haven't looked back. Also, I love it so much that it's become the ONLY Firearm I hunt with!

This post couldn't be further from the truth.......

Every single company you listed here makes a quality muzzy. For the money, especially since you are a new muzzy hunter, I would strongly suggest you get a cheaper option(which does NOT mean that it isn't a great quality gun) such as the traditions vortek or the cva accura.(I've shot about every muzzy made, and used to sell them. I chose the CVA Accura.) For the money, you really can't beat it.

This post couldn't be further from the truth.......

Every single company you listed here makes a quality muzzy. For the money, especially since you are a new muzzy hunter, I would strongly suggest you get a cheaper option(which does NOT mean that it isn't a great quality gun) such as the traditions vortek or the cva accura.(I've shot about every muzzy made, and used to sell them. I chose the CVA Accura.) For the money, you really can't beat it.

You Nailed it TLhawk. TC's are way over priced for what you get. I would put my CVA Accura up against a TC any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 3/4" groups @ 200 yds.

CVA Apex or Accura are the best production ones made out there right now in my opinion. They have the best barrels, amazing adjustable triggers, absolutely no blowback anywhere. For $20 you can buy a breech plug designed by the blackhorn team specifically for blackhorn. Two years ago I would of never looked at CVA, the new ones now are amazing. I am so glad I sold my knight disc extreme.

Buy whatever fits you best.

Not sure whre you get your info, but CVA's are made with Stainless Steel Beruga Barrels, and TC's are made with Carbon Steel. I've shot TC's and CVA's and I absolutely love the CVA Accura. Great balance, a good trigger, and the speed breech is very nice. If you are just getting into muzzeloading I would look at one of the cheaper one, like a CVA Accura, or Traditions Buckstalker or Vortec.

I've been shooting a Knight disc extreme for 6 years now, it has been a fantastic shooting muzzy. As stated above, don't skimp on the scope or you will regret it one day.

I shot a Knight disc extreme for 6-7 years myself, It put down 19 of 20 deer shot with it, and alot of Big bucks, I think big bucks were attracted to it. Then I retired it last year and upgraded to a TC. I know there great guns but Ive had nothing but problems with it and it cost me a good buck last year. The Knight is coming out of retirement.

One of my wholesalers is running a sale this month on a couple of the new CVA's. I've got the Accura black thumbhole stock with a stainless barrel for $429.99 and the Optima package black stock stainless barrel with a Konus scope and a nice case for $324.99. That's pretty impressive for a new muzzleloader.

I love and still shoot a TC Omega but IMO TC is dropping the ball lately. The only two muzzy's in their line that have a speed breech is the new FX and Triumph. CVA offers a speed breech on all their models. A couple years ago when CVA started using Bergara barrels on the Accura they really stepped their game up. The Accura feels real similar to an Encore for half the money. I've got guys shooting pie plate groups at 300 yds using basic load combinations.

I've sold a few Traditions Vortek's lately to and their no slouch either. The days of high doller 200yd muzzleloaders are gone IMO. Now most $400 guns will do it.

If I were to buy a new Muzzy right now it would be an Accura hands down. BUT I still love my Omega with the wood thumbhole stock. It just fits me.:drink1:

Top Bottom