Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

muzzleloader suggestions

I'm not trying to put the blackpower thing down, but everytime you shoot it (you must clean it), everytime your working up a new load (you clean it every 3rd shot), everytime you hunt in a wet condition (you clean it or at least I did), blackpower 777 blackhorn is expensive. I really think after shooting a Savage, a person would really have to think hard about buying a traditional (inline) muzzleloader.

One of my wholesalers is running a sale this month on a couple of the new CVA's. I've got the Accura black thumbhole stock with a stainless barrel for $429.99 and the Optima package black stock stainless barrel with a Konus scope and a nice case for $324.99. That's pretty impressive for a new muzzleloader.

I love and still shoot a TC Omega but IMO TC is dropping the ball lately. The only two muzzy's in their line that have a speed breech is the new FX and Triumph. CVA offers a speed breech on all their models. A couple years ago when CVA started using Bergara barrels on the Accura they really stepped their game up. The Accura feels real similar to an Encore for half the money. I've got guys shooting pie plate groups at 300 yds using basic load combinations.

I've sold a few Traditions Vortek's lately to and their no slouch either. The days of high doller 200yd muzzleloaders are gone IMO. Now most $400 guns will do it.

If I were to buy a new Muzzy right now it would be an Accura hands down. BUT I still love my Omega with the wood thumbhole stock. It just fits me.:drink1:

Not to out do you jj, but Scheels in Cedar Falls has the Apex for 400 bucks. They only had 3 left at that price last week. They are just trying to clearance out old models.

Not to out do you jj, but Scheels in Cedar Falls has the Apex for 400 bucks. They only had 3 left at that price last week. They are just trying to clearance out old models.
I'd pay the extra 30 bucks for the thumbhole stock though, which Scheel's didn't have.

I'm not trying to put the blackpower thing down, but everytime you shoot it (you must clean it), everytime your working up a new load (you clean it every 3rd shot), everytime you hunt in a wet condition (you clean it or at least I did), blackpower 777 blackhorn is expensive. I really think after shooting a Savage, a person would really have to think hard about buying a traditional (inline) muzzleloader.

Didn't Savage discontinue the smokeless muzzleloader?

I know this goes against the grain, but why not get a traditional muzzleloader? Real black powder is cheap and easily obtainable. You can cast your own round balls cheap, patch material can be made from an old pair of jeans. You don't need to be concerned if your gun has the right breech plug or if your using the right primers. And best of all, there is absolutely no need to clean the bore every few shots and the gun cleans very easy at the end of the day.
About the only downside, if you can call it that is that they are not 200 yard guns. Shouldn't be a problem for anybody limiting yourself to a shorter yardage. We do it with bows.
Lyman makes a good one that you can pass down through generations.....http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/great-plains-rifle.php

well said Shovelbuck!! I've got caught up in have a 250yd muzzleloader game, even though my longest shot on an animal has been an impressive 95 yard!!! maybe someday I'll try the tradition muzzleloader game.

Shovelbuck said:
I know this goes against the grain, but why not get a traditional muzzleloader? Real black powder is cheap and easily obtainable. You can cast your own round balls cheap, patch material can be made from an old pair of jeans. You don't need to be concerned if your gun has the right breech plug or if your using the right primers. And best of all, there is absolutely no need to clean the bore every few shots and the gun cleans very easy at the end of the day.
About the only downside, if you can call it that is that they are not 200 yard guns. Shouldn't be a problem for anybody limiting yourself to a shorter yardage. We do it with bows.
Lyman makes a good one that you can pass down through generations.....http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/great-plains-rifle.php

Just out of curiosity, what kind of accuracy can you expect out of one of those? They don't give them away do they? ;)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of accuracy can you expect out of one of those? They don't give them away do they? ;)
2 to 3 inch groups off the bags at 100 yds. is fairly common with a good round ball load. Top shooters are shooting 1 inch groups with iron sights at that distance. I can't do it anymore, old eyes are catching up with me. The last time I shot my Lyman, I was shooting 1.5 at 75 yards. Good enough for this old fart.:D:way:
They will certainly shoot good groups out beyond 100 yds, but for hunting, the round ball is just losing too much steam out past 100 unless your shooting a .62 or so.
I should also mention the Thompson Center makes a good traditional rifle also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom