Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My 2012 Shot gun buck

sec

I've been hunting this same property for 10-15 years both bow and shot gun, and had no idea this deer existed. I know there are big deer down there in southern Iowa and I have some real nice ones on camera. Wish I had this one. Four of us headed down to hunt the opening of first season shotgun. We had a new guy in the group who had never deer hunted before so I told him he could use my ground blind and that I would sit with him in the morning to give some pointers. The agreement was I had first option on any bucks the does were his if he wanted. The morning was real slow til about eight o'clock when a mature doe and her yearling doe came rushing in. I told him to take the big doe as he had an antlerless tag to fill and movement had been dismal. As he was getting ready I caught movement coming from the same direction as the does, saw antlers and knew it was a mature buck. I told him to wait as I was going to take the buck and shoot after I did. The buck came in and crossed my shooting lane stopping behind a tree. All I could see was from his midsection back but it was a huge body. Seemed like he stood there forever. I reminded the guy with me that the does would probably stay put for a second or two after the shot. The deer took two steps from behind the tree and was looking right at us, I took the shot. ( Forgot to mention I was using my knight disc.) After the smoke cleared there was no deer piled up, and I didn't hear the other guy shoot. I asked why not and he said there was too much smoke. He said the deer I shot at went to our left and that it was huge with points sticking everywhere. I knew it was a big deer but figured he may be off alittle as this was his first deer hunt. I honestly thought I probably missed since he was not there when the smoke cleared. He was broadside at 50-60 yrds. should have taken out both front shoulders. We thought we had heard him crash so I waited about 45 min to take a look. As most of you know deer shot with a muzzle loader don't bleed much at first, so I went the direction I heard the crash. went about 70-80 yrds and found him! Dreams do come true! The guy who was with me in the blind shot two does and is now a deer hunter for life.
21615-phone_12-11-12_320_original.jpg
21615-phone_12-11-12_324_original.jpg
21615-phone_12-11-12_336_original.jpg

Wow! That's a brute! Too bad about the broken main beam. Awesome buck and congrats!

That split droptine is awesome! Can't hardly imagine another antler breaking a main beam with that kinda mass......

Awesome buck! True Giant!! I am with Brett morris I would be walkin and lookin! Find a lot of busted off antlers!
Congrats

That buck is absolutely huge, love the mass!!!!! Is that rathburn in the background in the second picture ?

Top Bottom