Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My 235" Trail Cam Deer

Well guys... after all this... I'd be scared to put pics on here if I shot a deer over 200". It'd only be a matter of time before someone started saying I poached it.

You know, I usually just sit back these threads but since this one was so close to me I thought I should get involved. This is the first time i've pointed a finger on this site and I know I wont do it again.
I just want to say that I know nothing more than anyone else on this deer and I didn't mean to stir anything up. Heck of a buck and I hope the guy doesn't get any more grief.

Im not doubting the legallity of the deer at all,congrats to him.but i saw the same thing,It looks like it is cut out.

Last edited:
Looks like he'd already started to cape it. I'm not even sure if he used that cape, to be honest. I believe it was hit in the neck somewhere. I work with Dave and that's what I was told by some of the guys who saw this buck after he swung by with it. Sure wish I'd have been there to see it first-hand!!

Did he take the buck on lake ground? I have a friend who lives by the lake and hunts his own ground. I thought you could use a regular tag as long as you were not on the ground that is part of the wildlife refuge. I live in Johnston, but have never looked at the bounderies for the city hunt.

Im not doubting the legallity of the deer at all,congrats to him.but i saw the same thing,It looks like it is cut out.

Not doubting the legality either, just curious to why it would be peeled like that. Heck of a buck. would like to see more pics of it.

I would bet $100 that the deer was taken legally just like he says. As for the picture, I think it looks like the deer is caped completely and is just layed up on the tailgate for the pic. Look at the wrinkles on the neck.

Did he take the buck on lake ground? I have a friend who lives by the lake and hunts his own ground. I thought you could use a regular tag as long as you were not on the ground that is part of the wildlife refuge. I live in Johnston, but have never looked at the bounderies for the city hunt.

Yes, I'm curious also. My buddies used to live out in nw Johnston, just northeast of the sod farm out there. I remember seeing some hogs behind their house just a few years ago. It was always a big cornfield/bean field, but I think is unfortunately being developed. Had some good goose hunts back there, too.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm curious also. My buddies used to live out in nw Johnston, just northeast of the sod farm out there. I remember seeing some hogs behind their house just a few years ago. It was always a big cornfield/bean field, but I think is unfortunately being developed. Had some good goose hunts back there, too.
That ground is now being developed for housing. Some builders have already started this past year, and Hubbell is going to put in a big development along with a new school in that area also. There are some nice one's that hangout at Camp Dodge and Pioneer also.

hahahaha, you guys kill me....

that pic doesnt look 'shopped at all..... again, maybe its totally legit and taken legally????

on this site your guilty until proven innocent, then you're still guilty... .
sheesh

THA4 it is good you will do not kill big deer then. The only thing that is proven is that this is a city deer and it has been killed. Maybee I am missing something. I do not know if it is legal or not and I am not saying one way or another. I just had some questions and wondered how much it would score since I have footage of the deer and it is probably the biggest deer I have seen on the hoof. This deer was not in NW Johnston it was between Camp Dodge and the Sayloville Dam. This past summer he would feed on the grass bank west of the ranger station a few hundred yards.

THA4 it is good you will do not kill big deer then. The only thing that is proven is that this is a city deer and it has been killed. Maybee I am missing something. I do not know if it is legal or not and I am not saying one way or another. I just had some questions and wondered how much it would score since I have footage of the deer and it is probably the biggest deer I have seen on the hoof. This deer was not in NW Johnston it was between Camp Dodge and the Sayloville Dam. This past summer he would feed on the grass bank west of the ranger station a few hundred yards.

So you've got that deer pegged to the point that you know it doesn't travel into any of the gobs of public land in that area. I could ask Dave tonight where he shot it if I wanted but I won't. The DNR let him keep it so all I could do is congratulate him!

So you've got that deer pegged to the point that you know it doesn't travel into any of the gobs of public land in that area. I could ask Dave tonight where he shot it if I wanted but I won't. The DNR let him keep it so all I could do is congratulate him!

Hell I bet he snuck into the bunk houses until dark. Didn't you know they train those camp deer not to leave the premises.

Top Bottom