Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NAHC lost a member......

G

After I read the one-sided, ill-constructed, and self serving article on NR liscense prices, I will now longer be associated with this group....be it the NRA or whatever. I didn't realize the NRA was in the game management business too.
I don't find the kind of articles like that journalistic...it was more along the lines of anti-hunting brochures I have seen...delivery wise that is.

The next article in the series is how it is 'unconstitutional' to limit NR liscenses.

I'm with you Swanny. I have read most of the article and did not like there views. They seemed to bash Iowa alot and made us out to be the butt of Americas hunting communtiy I felt. Now I'm going to have to go home and read the rest of the article.

I became a member last year and in everything they sent me they praised themselves on how they kept there membership prices so low and how the magazine alone is worth the deal. About three months after membership I began receiving letters about dues increases and I bet the upped them twice last year. That really turned me off to them and their not getting any more support from me.

BAKER and Swanny, can you blame them? I haven't read the article yet but when the DNR is against raising the licenses as high as they did but the legislator votes on it and approves it, seems there is a problem! Aren't they supposed to work hand-in-hand? I was told on the phone that the DNR is totally against such a high increase but "had no say in it"! I can understand Iowans wanting to limit some of the non-resident pressure, but $188 for a damn turkey tag!!! Give me a break and let's be a little logical about this! What typical family man can afford that! I think this huge of an increase will hurt Iowa in the long run. Who wants to see their state overrun with only wealthy hunters and many more outfitters while us common folk sit back and can only afford to talk about "the good ol' days"!

I kind of agree with Shedhead. I could see limiting the amount of tags available but jacking up the price that high just promotes other states to jack theirs up. Seems like the working man gets the shaft on these types of things. I used to hunt Missouri for both deer and turkey but it just got too expensive. Also used to hunt Colorado for deer and elk but got priced out there too.

NAHC is part of the NRA. That is why I mentioned them.

I agree that the turkey tags are rather pricey. But I guess if $188 is gonna break you , you better look for something else to do. $400 for a deer tag is high too...and they should increase resident tags/liscences. Read the story and you will be better able to understand our frustration with it. It is just not prices, but availability of tags they are saying is unconstitutional.

Also, they bash landowners tags. I see no problem with a farmer feeding the deer and getting a free $25 tag for it.

You are correct Iowa1...I was mistaken. They sure solicit the same though.

Swanny,
I dropped out of NAHC a few years ago. I think they are getting to involved with marketing books and videos to there members.
They seem to always be looking for ways to get more money. Just one man's thoughts.
Are you going to the classic?
You should give me a call if you still have my number.
I think I will go Sat. and head down to southern Iowa Sunday.
BOWDUDE

After finishing the article I still am sticking with my first post. I do feel that NR tags are too high, but there solutions only help nonresidents who don't care about Iowa and only want to kill monster whitetail bucks.

They calculate inflation rates and licence fees and determine that our current deer licences are $8.28 less than what they should be due to inflation. They make a good point in showing that an increase of this nature would create more profit than our new NR fees, but they say that our legislature chose to up NR rates because they wanted to avoid "public relations issues" from residents having to pay more for liscenses. I personally would pay more to hunt and a small increase in both would be even better.

The article was written by Gregg Gutschow the executive director of NAHC and in the begining of the magazine he writes a seemingly unfounded animal rights activist bashing column that gives you the impression that he wouldn't give them a drop of water if they showed up on his doorstep dying of thirst. He doesn't have much talent for writing and throws out his own opinion like it's gospel. He shouldn't have written the NR peice either, he doesn't seem to think everything through.

How ya doin' Bowdude?! I have to work this weekend so I will be unable to attend
frown.gif
I have had to work every weekend we have had a classic. So alot of times I have to go to Columbia to see a classic. I have moved a little farther south and changed my email....so drop me a line and I will give you my new #. And I will need yours too...I have a diff. puter and lost most of my personal info in the xfer. My address is [email protected]. And please let me know how the classic was!

As a lifetime member of NAHC I give them full support on this issue. Iowa has become the most difficult state(in the midwest) to draw a NR tag especially for archery, because of the asnine 35% cap on archery tags. The fee of $308 is absolutely ridiculous. There are NR hunters who have been applying for as many as 4 years to draw a archery tag in Iowa.

As a lifetime member, you really have no choice. I guess the limitations are a bad thing if you are an outfitter. I think the DNR is doing the best job to keep a good thing going, deer quality wise....and to try and make it attainable for all parties involved. Since we have a quality herd, that doesn't mean we should let everyone and his brother in here for next to nothing to shoot an 'Iowa Monster'.

Get back with me when you lose ground to leasing bucfvr.....then we'll see how you like when you have no place to hunt. And price me a $100 sheep tag too. Those $1600 liscences are assinine. But I accept that is the way it is if I ever want to shoot one.

Well said Swanny! I have no problem with nonresident hunters, but they need to realize we aren't just going to open up the flood gates. Try a state like South Dakota for instance. I am allowed to apply as a resident because I am in the military. I have tried for three years to get a black hills buck tag and have not yet been successful. So this year I decided to hunt with my friend from back home in Iowa for mule deer. He has gotten a tag every year for the last five years and I got denied. That is insane! Some states cater to the nonresidents because that is where the money is. I don't know what other Iowa residents think, but I think the DNR is doing a good job...

Top Bottom