Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New high oil corn?

Rous14

PMA Member
Just wondered if any of you guys have tried or experimented with the high oil corn that I see guys like Don Higgins and Tony Lapratt marketing. Seems to make a lot of sense for food plotters. Supposed to be 3x as much oil content (fat), 10-12% more protein, more calories, etc....
The stuff Tony is selling is round up ready too, don’t believe Higgins is. They said the price was similar to a little less than regular field corn so I’m definitely going to be trying it out.

Side note, the two of them were in Indiana last night at a hunting outdoor show and put on almost like a presidential debate against each other on a stage, had to be a thousand people in attendance. Went down with my dad and son. Was pretty entertaining! Tony’s a character, quite a different personality than Don but both guys have certainly proven to be successful deer hunters and seem very genuine/passionate about what they do.

I went to tonys boot camp almost 15 yrs ago in mi and yes he has quite the personality!! But i was in my beginning stages of land management and learned a ton!! He definitely has small property management figured out for his area!!!! And im also a big follower of don higgins and his chasing giants podcasts are great! Don is definitely geared towards the true mature buck. 5 6 and 7 yr olds and tony is more about maximizing your entire hunting property! Im sure it was an awsome event!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I do not plant corn as a food plot but i will give my recommendation to dons real world soybeans!! Theres 4 different varieties in each bag and they are also higher in oil and fat than most ag beans and yes i have planted sise buy side and will take real world beans every time!! So i will be interested in the input on the corn as well!!!

I went to tonys boot camp almost 15 yrs ago in mi and yes he has quite the personality!! But i was in my beginning stages of land management and learned a ton!! He definitely has small property management figured out for his area!!!! And im also a big follower of don higgins and his chasing giants podcasts are great! Don is definitely geared towards the true mature buck. 5 6 and 7 yr olds and tony is more about maximizing your entire hunting property! Im sure it was an awsome event!!!

It was very interesting and well worth the $20 bucks to go to the show. I’m thinking about going to Tony’s boot camp. I only live about an hour from him. I’ve heard guys talk about some of his tactics and I’m sure like any of these guys I’d try some and chalk some up to “no thanks”.
Probably what interests me most about Tony’s approach is he’s the only guy I’ve ever heard claim that he can stockpile multiple mature bucks in a small area (his farm is 52 acres). He’ll admit that they will roam off it from time to time but still, I just can’t quite believe that part of what he preaches. Especially here in Michigan, for multiple mature bucks to share the same woodlot when pretty much any direction they want to move over to there’s ZERO mature bucks I’m just not sure why they would tolerate each other.

I believe he said he’s found like 90 some sheds the last couple years on his 52 acres. That’s incredible and hard to believe anywhere in the country much less Michigan. That alone is pretty strong testament to whatever he is doing.

It was very interesting and well worth the $20 bucks to go to the show. I’m thinking about going to Tony’s boot camp. I only live about an hour from him. I’ve heard guys talk about some of his tactics and I’m sure like any of these guys I’d try some and chalk some up to “no thanks”.
Probably what interests me most about Tony’s approach is he’s the only guy I’ve ever heard claim that he can stockpile multiple mature bucks in a small area (his farm is 52 acres). He’ll admit that they will roam off it from time to time but still, I just can’t quite believe that part of what he preaches. Especially here in Michigan, for multiple mature bucks to share the same woodlot when pretty much any direction they want to move over to there’s ZERO mature bucks I’m just not sure why they would tolerate each other.
Well if you went to the seminare between him and don then you already know the answer!!!! Lol! They both agree on it!! Bucks need good thick security cover thats free from human intrusion!!!!!! That means sight sound and smell!! If you want multiple bucks on your property you need multiple areas that fit this purpose!!! Its really not complicated but these guys are very good at teaching people how to achieve this!!! There are quite a few on here that have this knowledge as well! This site is a wealth of knowledge and guys here are always willing to help just ask!!!

That “debate” is supposedly going to be released on YouTube soon. Looking forward to listening to it, as both guys are a fountain of knowledge..

That “debate” is supposedly going to be released on YouTube soon. Looking forward to listening to it, as both guys are a fountain of knowledge..
It was great. I follow Don pretty closely so most of what he said I’d heard before but still heard some interesting opinions. I’ve posted many times here about my “counter to common opinion” on my belief that most areas in the Midwest, especially my hunting state of IL, would benefit from having MORE does and more deer. So for me it was good to hear both of these gentleman essentially say the same thing last night. Tony likes a ~5 to 1 doe to buck ratio and Don said he could absolutely hold higher numbers of deer on his farm if not for poor herd management by the DNR in IL. Tony’s point was that the average buck will breed approx 6 does and doesn’t care if he has to travel miles to find the next one after he’s bred the 2 or 3 on your farm so why would he want any of his bucks to have to leave his farm to find the next doe? Hadn’t thought of that angle before.

It was great. I follow Don pretty closely so most of what he said I’d heard before but still heard some interesting opinions. I’ve posted many times here about my “counter to common opinion” on my belief that most areas in the Midwest, especially my hunting state of IL, would benefit from having MORE does and more deer. So for me it was good to hear both of these gentleman essentially say the same thing last night. Tony likes a ~5 to 1 doe to buck ratio and Don said he could absolutely hold higher numbers of deer on his farm if not for poor herd management by the DNR in IL. Tony’s point was that the average buck will breed approx 6 does and doesn’t care if he has to travel miles to find the next one after he’s bred the 2 or 3 on your farm so why would he want any of his bucks to have to leave his farm to find the next doe? Hadn’t thought of that angle before.
Makes sense as long as your farm is "set up" to handle/ have room for those numbers!!! Mature bucks like seclusion when they bed as long as they have that option on your farm your good!!!

Be great to try above corn & beans next to regular ag beans to see if difference. I’d sure try it.
I do believe u can get a lot more bucks packed in small properties than folks realize. Thick, thermal cover, good browse, year round food & not pushing them out, etc etc - it works 100%.
Interesting on the doe #’s. I know first hand I killed too many in prior seasons on me. The brutal fighting that had far too many kill eachother was a good indication we needed to dial it back.
**on flip side, when farms get too overloaded with does or deer in general- Over-browsing natural sources to where there’s little to none left does happen. Social stress & even crops/plots suffer. No doubt an overload of deer will limit growth of bucks & top end potential. Scenarios like this are not all over but for sure exists.

I’ll give the corn & beans a comparison this year!

Last edited:
I believe he said he’s found like 90 some sheds the last couple years on his 52 acres. That’s incredible and hard to believe anywhere in the country much less Michigan. That alone is pretty strong testament to whatever he is doing.

That is almost hard to believe ? It would be almost a buck per acre… as not all sheds will be matched? I’ve never heard of that high anywhere?

That is almost hard to believe ? It would be almost a buck per acre… as not all sheds will be matched? I’ve never heard of that high anywhere?
Agreed. I was doing the same math when he said it thinking....hmmmm, not gonna say liar but I’d sure like to see it to believe it.

And not to be a naysayer on the sheds and I’m sure his property is better than any I’ve ever stepped on but even considering a 1:1 buck to doe ratio that would be close to two deer per acre and any farm I’ve saw with that high of deer densities looks like a cattle feed lot come spring with noticeable browse damage which can’t be repaired in one year.

Be great to try above corn & beans next to regular ag beans to see if difference. I’d sure try it.
I do believe u can get a lot more bucks packed in small properties than folks realize. Thick, thermal cover, good browse, year round food & not pushing them out, etc etc - it works 100%.
Interesting on the doe #’s. I know first hand I killed too many in prior seasons on me. The brutal fighting that had far too many kill eachother was a good indication we needed to dial it back.
**on flip side, when farms get too overloaded with does or deer in general- Over-browsing natural sources to where there’s little to none left does happen. Social stress & even crops/plots suffer. No doubt an overload of deer will limit growth of bucks & top end potential. Scenarios like this are not all over but for sure exists.

I’ll give the corn & beans a comparison this year!
I always here that having too many does and a general high population of deer hurts antler growth on bucks.. Do you think this still holds true on farms that have plenty of food? I have a very high population on my farm, but I have tons of standing food(beans, corn, brassica, clover, etc). I wonder what true impact the high population has on antler growth? I would safely say my doe population is too high and outnumber bucks at least 5 to 1.

I always here that having too many does and a general high population of deer hurts antler growth on bucks.. Do you think this still holds true on farms that have plenty of food? I have a very high population on my farm, but I have tons of standing food(beans, corn, brassica, clover, etc). I wonder what true impact the high population has on antler growth? I would safely say my doe population is too high and outnumber bucks at least 5 to 1.
Plenty of varying opinions on this. I mentioned in this very thread that Tony Lapratt is killing 150”-160” deer almost every year on a 53 acre farm in a state (MI) that just doesn’t have them and he’ll tell you that a 5-1 ratio like you describe is exactly what you want. Clearly hasn’t hurt the antler growth for him or if it has its so marginal that it’s hard to quantify. I’ll use Illinois where I also hunt. The herd there has been reduced by 25%-50% depending on the area and I’ve seen no evidence that as a result the bucks that make it to 5 years old plus are on average bigger than they were from 2005-2012 when the herd was significantly larger (and the hunting was world class during that time!) I’m just not a believer in it. Are there areas where the deer density is too high? I’m sure there are. But imo they’re far and few between and mostly in northern parts of our country where heavy snowfall totals are normal. Just my opinion.

Plenty of varying opinions on this. I mentioned in this very thread that Tony Lapratt is killing 150”-160” deer almost every year on a 53 acre farm in a state (MI) that just doesn’t have them and he’ll tell you that a 5-1 ratio like you describe is exactly what you want. Clearly hasn’t hurt the antler growth for him or if it has its so marginal that it’s hard to quantify. I’ll use Illinois where I also hunt. The herd there has been reduced by 25%-50% depending on the area and I’ve seen no evidence that as a result the bucks that make it to 5 years old plus are on average bigger than they were from 2005-2012 when the herd was significantly larger (and the hunting was world class during that time!) I’m just not a believer in it. Are there areas where the deer density is too high? I’m sure there are. But imo they’re far and few between and mostly in northern parts of our country where heavy snowfall totals are normal. Just my opinion.
I have been to Tony's boot camp and can say majority of his bucks while claiming to be mature bucks most score in the 125 to 140 range. Dont get me wrong its amazing he can do that where he is on his farm !!! But big difference between those and 140 to 160 in deer . My personal feeling is most of his bucks are 3 to 4 yr olds.

I have been to Tony's boot camp and can say majority of his bucks while claiming to be mature bucks most score in the 125 to 140 range. Dont get me wrong its amazing he can do that where he is on his farm !!! But big difference between those and 140 to 160 in deer . My personal feeling is most of his bucks are 3 to 4 yr olds.

I need to get to his boot camp to see all this stuff w my own eyes but I definitely believe ya. There simply isn’t very many 5 year old deer walking around in this state lol! I guess as it relates to the question that was asked though in regards to affect on antler growth 125-140” 3&4 yr olds or his occasional 150-160” 5 yr old, especially in Michigan, the answer would seem to stay the same though. Be pretty difficult to quantify any difference if there even is any.

Tony's farm is probably the most manipulated / manicured whitetail farm in the world!!! Yes his farm will definitely open your eyes to possibilities!! Do i think all will work in every instance? No! But he has found out what works in his area to the highest level!!!! I dont think any of the top " land managers" have it nailed down 100pct to all different areas but there are 3 or 4 i have a ton of respect for and use some from all of them and tony is one of them !!!

Top Bottom