Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newby headed to Davis County

picture.php

We got back to Louisiana from a fridged Iowa hunting trip last night and we had a couple nice bucks for first time bow kills. I shot a nice 130" 10pt 11/09 3:30pm using the can and rattle bag. He came in at 18yards and the 100gr Swacker did the job. The deer ran about 100 yards and I watched him fall. Funny thing is that he darn near fell on another buck that got up which made me think it was my deer that got back to his feet. The deer walked right to me and under the stand which I filmed the whole time with my phone. That was a nice 8pt that would go about 120". My brother-n-law shot a beautiful 160" 12 pt at 33yards and again the Swacker did the job. He was on cloud 9 and I was there with him. His deer was killed 11/12 at 10:20am. We saw a ton of deer and a few giants that never got in range. Saturday 11/8 deer were chasing like crazy but as the week went on we noticed a increase in cruising bucks. We both had a trip of a lifetime and plan on going back in three years.

picture.php

Last edited:
Glad everything went well for you. Sounds like you guys had a blast. Honestly this was some of the best rut weather we've had in a while. Congrats on your success!!

Congrats to you both! Sounds like you had a great Iowa experience! And taking home two great bucks!

Congrats! Now you know why us Iowans cherish our state. Glad you enjoyed your hunt and our state.

The south Davis area where we hunting was truly a beautiful place and as I stated several times on the trip a "Deer Disneyland". The land owners of the farms we were on gave southern hospitality a new meaning. Those folks were great and went well beyond to make sure we were comfortable and taken care of during the cold weather. We stayed in a popup camper which really did a great job keeping us warm and providing shelter from the wind, except for our water tank freezing up all went well.

Here in Louisiana our archery season starts the first week of Oct and rifle season the last week of Oct and both last till mid-late January. We have a lot of deer but also a lot of woods and cover along with a ton of pressure. Deer walk through the woods down here "looking up" and are super spooky and on alert. We found the deer in Iowa to be very easy to get over on compared to the deer down here. Our bucks go nocturnal as soon as the first high powered rifles go off in October. Hunters down here can kill 6 deer per season.

Top Bottom